Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car was driving fine. Then...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z/G92
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45 Eaton Truetrac
Car was driving fine. Then...

So this morning, I started my 1989 Iroc Z with a truck 350 from the 70's, to warm it up, went inside and went back out about 15 minutes later. I got outside and it was revving high. Which is normal when I start the car in the morning, but I forgot to push down on the gas to reset it when I initially started it. Anyways, I got in, hit the gas and it went to normal. I noticed the battery gauge was reading Zero. Radio was going on and off. Lights were dim. I turned everything off, and tried to accelerate quickly down the street, in hopes to get the alternator to give some power. I didn't think much of it, as the car was running fine, however when I got to the end of my street, I heard a thump, and the tach flipped out (Not that it was accurate in the first place) The battery gauge hit zero, and my car shut off completely. I waited in my car, and it regained a little power, not enough to start however. Later in the day, I went back to my car to jump it with a friend. It started and I thought it was all good, battery gauge was reading low, but not zero. I managed to turn around, I noticed a slugging in my car, and it shut off again. This time. NO power. I jumped it again, and right after I took off the cables, the car died. I have no idea what the problem could be. But those are the steps I traced. Battery is relatively new. And I was told the alternator was new when I bought it.
Edit: Thought I would mention, I have had no problems since I bought the car in early December.

TL;DR/TL;TR: My car loses all power soon after starting . And wont keep power.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Annihilate; 03-19-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9 inch
Re: Car was driving fine. Then...

My vote is that the alternator is dead, or the connections are loose. Check the connections at the battery, trace them to the starter check those, etc. Just make sure all connections are tight and not all gummed up. If they are I would go to the local parts store and have them test your alternator and battery. This is typically free of charge.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2012 F350 lariot/1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Powerstroke/6.0
Transmission: 6R100/4L80e
Axle/Gears: 3.73/3.42

dead battery and alt or bad ground or cables check the battery connection if its showing zero it sounds like either a bad connection coroded wire or the battery and alt took a dump
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. Tomorrow I will check the cables for corrosion. I don't think it is a dead battery or dead alt, cause both were apparently newer when I bought the car. It even looks new still. But I am gonna check all the connections tomorrow. Thanks again guys, always can count on this forum.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Annihilate
Okay, thanks for the suggestions. Tomorrow I will check the cables for corrosion. I don't think it is a dead battery or dead alt, cause both were apparently newer when I bought the car. It even looks new still. But I am gonna check all the connections tomorrow. Thanks again guys, always can count on this forum.
Check all the connections, but I can almost promise u the alt is bad. I'm a serv manager at an import dealer, and we sell alot of used cars, and whatever line of jobber alt and starters my parts manager gets are cheap, and 1 out of 10 come back within three months lol. People always say the same thing...."but its almost brand new" ....
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by bygddy
Check all the connections, but I can almost promise u the alt is bad. I'm a serv manager at an import dealer, and we sell alot of used cars, and whatever line of jobber alt and starters my parts manager gets are cheap, and 1 out of 10 come back within three months lol. People always say the same thing...."but its almost brand new" ....
Lol, ill take your word on it, and take it up to the Orileys to get tested.
Personally I hope its not the alternator. I am trying to save every penny for paint and weather strip in may. I can't handle another setback.

Last edited by Annihilate; 03-19-2013 at 10:50 PM.