Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Yet another VSS/Speedometer post...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto 4L60
Yet another VSS/Speedometer post...

After several hours of searching posts here regarding speedometers, VSS, ECM, buffers ppms etc...and including googling parts and trying to find info...my poor brain has had it...

I've got a 91 Z28 convertible; 305 TPI, 4 speed Auto. Cherry car with 28K. Only thing done to her (Marilyn...yes after Marilyn Monroe but I digress) was the previous (original owner) swapped in a flow master cat and converted to R34 before bringing it to Japan (yep I'm retired Air Force and currently working at US Air Base in Tokyo). Unfortunately the car has been sitting the past 2 years due to him not wanting to go through the hassle of importing it, and then decided to sell it before he returns to states (needed cash due to divorce). So here I am...trying to get it legal to enjoy the highways of Japan. SO...after working through some brake issues...seized brakes due to rubber lines being ate up by stagnate fluid...I got her on the road only to find an intermittent speedometer issue...exhaustive searches have me baffled as to a part number available...SC12, SC13, ACDelco 213-198. Any help with part number would be GREATLY appreciated cause I have to order everything online...availability in Japan is iffy and the cost is usually triple or more.

Now another concern is after reading some posts is speed info to the ECM...I'm in the process (a very expensive, $2k process at that) of getting emissions test done. The car failed for excessive CO, HC, and NO2 (CO2 readings good) readings. They suggested changing Cat (remember I stated flowmaster installed)...does this VSS/speed issue sending no or at best erratic readings may have an affect on emissions?

Anyhow, GREAT board and info; looking forward to getting back into the Camaro/FBody (this is my 3rd Camaro) world, been out of it for far too long (7 years ago I left my Corvette in Texas and came over here).

Scot
Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: Yet another VSS/Speedometer post...

Originally Posted by B1CrwDwg
intermittent speedometer issue...exhaustive searches have me baffled as to a part number available...SC12, SC13, ACDelco 213-198.
Any help with part number would be GREATLY appreciated
What axle ratio do you have?
You require a 4000 pulse VSS but there are 2 styles depending on the speedo gears needed to suit the diff ratio

does this VSS/speed issue sending no or at best erratic readings may have an affect on emissions?
If the ECM does not see a speed input ,it will not move out of cell 4 (there are 16 fueling cells) and the idle may be erratic

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...740-post4.html
Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto 4L60

Originally Posted by vetteoz
What axle ratio do you have?
You require a 4000 pulse VSS but there are 2 styles depending on the speedo gears needed to suit the diff ratio
I believe 2:73s...at least that's the specs I've pulled.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca...l_v-8_tpi.html
Old 07-19-2015, 07:35 AM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 305TBI
Transmission: WCT-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Motive Gear

Hi Scot,

I assume that you have some Japanese language ability as you live in Japan? There are 2 shops in Tokyo area that have wealth of knowledge in 3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds. I visited the F-Performance in February 2015 and know that they can fix gauge cluster/speedometer related repairs. Never been to Prime Works, but have purchased parts from there. I have seen their blog article on 1990-1992 Camaro erratic tachometer needle problem repair on their website, and so they should probably be able to fix the speedometer issues as well. And Prime Works can probably help you with the Japanese emissions test as they directly import old American cars for sale at their shop, including several 3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds---they may have the so-called "Haigasu Reporto" for your engine Camaro. "Haigasu Reporto" is the Vehicle Emissions Test report. One "Haigasu Reporto" is good for 10 similar engined cars I heard so you may want to contact them with your problem.

The names of these 2 shops are:

1) F-Performance located in Edogawa-Ku, Tokyo
www.f-performance.jp/

2) Prime Works located in Kawasaki City, Kanagawa ken
www.primeworks.co.jp

Hope you get your Camaro back on the road in Japan!

Thomas(island Camaro)

After several hours of searching posts here regarding speedometers, VSS, ECM, buffers ppms etc...and including googling parts and trying to find info...my poor brain has had it...

I've got a 91 Z28 convertible; 305 TPI, 4 speed Auto. Cherry car with 28K. Only thing done to her (Marilyn...yes after Marilyn Monroe but I digress) was the previous (original owner) swapped in a flow master cat and converted to R34 before bringing it to Japan (yep I'm retired Air Force and currently working at US Air Base in Tokyo). Unfortunately the car has been sitting the past 2 years due to him not wanting to go through the hassle of importing it, and then decided to sell it before he returns to states (needed cash due to divorce). So here I am...trying to get it legal to enjoy the highways of Japan. SO...after working through some brake issues...seized brakes due to rubber lines being ate up by stagnate fluid...I got her on the road only to find an intermittent speedometer issue...exhaustive searches have me baffled as to a part number available...SC12, SC13, ACDelco 213-198. Any help with part number would be GREATLY appreciated cause I have to order everything online...availability in Japan is iffy and the cost is usually triple or more.

Now another concern is after reading some posts is speed info to the ECM...I'm in the process (a very expensive, $2k process at that) of getting emissions test done. The car failed for excessive CO, HC, and NO2 (CO2 readings good) readings. They suggested changing Cat (remember I stated flowmaster installed)...does this VSS/speed issue sending no or at best erratic readings may have an affect on emissions?

Anyhow, GREAT board and info; looking forward to getting back into the Camaro/FBody (this is my 3rd Camaro) world, been out of it for far too long (7 years ago I left my Corvette in Texas and came over here).

Scot