Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Confused and going insane

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 iroc-z28
Engine: 305 ci Tpi
Transmission: 700 R-4
Confused and going insane

I have an 86 camaro 305 Fuel injection. 2 days ago I took out my instrument cluster to repair the printed circuit on the back of the i/p. I fixed it and I was testing it to make sure I repaired it properly and I was using a jumper wire. I just found a random power source to use and it was a wire on my neutral safety switch. I have a B&M megashifter so I only had a yellow,purple,dark blue, and light green hooked up to the switch. Well when I was testing it the one end came undone and shorted out something. The yellow wire that goes to the switch (that also goes to the hatch release) should have power at all times. It doesn't. So i used a wiring diagram to trace it back and it goes back to the ignition switch and gets power from a red wire that goes to the starter solenoid with the fusible links. I checked power at the red wire at the ignition switch and it had power. I used a jumper wire and hooked it up the the yellow going to the safety switch and it had power. So i figured the ignition switch was bad. I had another laying around so I hooked it up and still the same thing. So I don't know whats going on there any ideas? Thats problem #1

Problem #2
After this happened I put in my i/p cluster and I had the key on engine off so the Check Engine light was on naturally but it was making a humming noise. I turned the key off and make sure it was in all the way and tightened the nuts up a little more. Turned the key on and it stopped. But with the key on and engine off I turned on my light switch and my fuel pump turns on every time I turn on just marking lights or headlights. I have an aftermarket tach and gauge set. They plug into a spot on my fuse block for power only when the key is on. Key on engine off all gauges plugged in, I turn on my lights and my tachometer will go up to about 1000 rpm turn lights off, goes back to 0. When I unplug my volt gauge key on engine off, turn the lights on the tach stays at 0 like it should. I have studied wiring diagrams to find out what the problem is for both issues but everything I try just leads no where. So if anybody has any ideas or anything to help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Confused and going insane

Problem number 1: that yellow wire should only have voltage going through it when you are cranking. If it had voltage going through it all the time then the starter would run continuously. At the nuetral safety switch it is supposed to make contact with a wire of the same thickness to complete the circuit, then that wore takes the voltage to the starter.

Problem 2 is that when u fixed something on the cluster, you crossed a couple of circuits.