Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

A few trunk/battery relo wiring questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
A few trunk/battery relo wiring questions...

...getting ready to move the battery to the trunk, and I have a few questions.

First, I have no intentions of racing and needing to meet NHRA rules. My understanding is that from the factory, disconnecting the battery will not stop the car, due to alternator. Never actually tested this myself. ...so if it was good enough for factory, it's good enough for me, at least in this case. Is that sound logic, or is it somehow MORE dangerous with the trunk in back???

Second, yes, I'm going to do some cosmetic wiring upgrades. - but essentially, if I were to draw a diagram, all I'm doing is running a POS+ cable to a stud, and effectively not really RE-wiring anything, right? All POS battery connections are now just POS stud connections...larger gauge cable of course.

...and finally, do I need to also run a ground cable from the back, all the way up front to the block? I know shorter runs the better, but a few places have suggested running one up front to the block anyhow. Thoughts??

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9 inch, 35 spline drag spool,4.56
Re: A few trunk/battery relo wiring questions...

Originally Posted by Abubaca
...getting ready to move the battery to the trunk, and I have a few questions.

First, I have no intentions of racing and needing to meet NHRA rules. My understanding is that from the factory, disconnecting the battery will not stop the car, due to alternator. Never actually tested this myself. ...so if it was good enough for factory, it's good enough for me, at least in this case. Is that sound logic, or is it somehow MORE dangerous with the trunk in back???

Second, yes, I'm going to do some cosmetic wiring upgrades. - but essentially, if I were to draw a diagram, all I'm doing is running a POS+ cable to a stud, and effectively not really RE-wiring anything, right? All POS battery connections are now just POS stud connections...larger gauge cable of course.

...and finally, do I need to also run a ground cable from the back, all the way up front to the block? I know shorter runs the better, but a few places have suggested running one up front to the block anyhow. Thoughts??

Thanks in advance.
Just ground battery to the body and the motor to chassis up front.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Subbed

I've got a relocation coming in my future, would ideally like to put it on the driver's side well area behind the rear tire. Do you need dry cell or just a sealed battery when it's in the passenger compartment? Any suggestions on fabbing & mounting the tray & tie down?
Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

there is a way to wire it so that the cut-off switch shuts the engine down. i didnt care about being NHRA legal when i moved mine to the back. i bought a plastic battery box, used a battery hold down kit, and drilled a hole to vent gases and ran a hose through it. i welded a stainless bolt to the "frame" for the ground. ran the positive cable basically to up front where the battery was and joined the wires. i did mount a battery cut-off switch in the console. maye theft deterent? but it will keep running off the alternator. Name:  041704_183701_zps5c36c5da.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  82.5 KB

oh, and i bought some fine strand heavy gauge wire from the welding shop. IIRC it was cheaper than buying a kit?

Name:  041704_183501_zpsfa86b51c.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  72.4 KB

Last edited by redneckjoe; 04-10-2016 at 09:09 PM.