History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Thoughts on a year specific registry

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: NWC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt posi
Thoughts on a year specific registry

I know that they made over a million Camaros and Firebirds but since the newest third gen is over 20 years old, do you guys think it'd be worth having a registry of our cars, no matter engine, trans, etc? It'd be neat to know who has the car closest to my VIN or at least see if there's a pattern as far as how they assembled them (color options, RS to Z28, and so on). Id be willing to take on the task of cataloging the info into spreadsheet form. These cars have got to be getting harder to find with the amount of cutting up, parting out, & accidents. Opinions of the matter are welcome.

Last edited by thecaminator; 03-29-2016 at 02:30 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 03-29-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 trans am
Engine: 305 crossfire
Transmission: th200c
Re: Thoughts on a year specific registry

so like a database of the cars that are left and liek where they are or conditon? sounds kind of cool to me. i would love to know how many of what is still out there and how there holding up. its a cool idea.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:43 AM

Yeah just like that. Hell, could even add the cars that people scrap on to know that they're gone. Entries could/should look like this.

Year, make, model
VIN
City, State
Vehicles' current status
Posted by

They have registries for 1964.5-66 Mustangs, why not our cars?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: V8 5.0L HO (L69)
Transmission: B&W T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 limited slip

I started doing that with 82-84 Firebirds, sorted by VIN, engine, transmission, colors, main options, current condition and approximate location. Most of the information comes from eBay ads, and I save the pictures that come with it. But I stopped a while ago as the changes in the way eBay handles pictures makes the process tedious (I could drag and drop the pics back then, it took a few seconds to save a car). I still have a lot of cars to sort.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by thecaminator
...why not our cars?
OK, I'll play devils advocate. And understand from the get-go, I don't hate the idea. Such a reference would be nice to have.

But who's going to "own" the data?
How will it be housed?
How can we assure that it is always available to the community (short of this site hosting it), and that the person who collects it won't decide to someday take their jacks and go home (this happened on another forum I'm on).
Does everyone want their VIN out there, and their cars location information?
If there is ever any "value" to it, who is the rightful owner?

Just some thought starters. AGAIN, I'm not saying I'm against it, but there are some real issues that surround such an effort.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

^^^Agree Dave....

Another forum I belong to has a registry for all the TTA owners and locations, last six of the VIN and such. They been tracking and adding for a few years and only have a little over 400 or so listed. And that's only outta 1550 of the TTAs made.
Again, Great idea........but that's a lotta cars to track for sure!
Old 03-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
But who's going to "own" the data?

If there is ever any "value" to it, who is the rightful owner?
Well, in the case of MANY user submitted articles right here on Thirdgen.org, the domain owner sold the whole kit and caboodle to a commercial entity, which has since removed 99% of the credits that used to be displayed on the tech articles. So at least in the case of Thirdgen.org, anything that you post, share, upload, submit, etc becomes the property of the site owner.

This text I just typed will become the property of Thirdgen.org the second I click the Submit button.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 PM

My thoughts were the same as Drew's. Anything posted to this site is property of this site.

Dave, any car registry has a council style group of leaders that live and breathe the particular car that they deal with. I would like us all to "own" the information, but that's not exactly possible (or is it?). The whole VIN isn't necessary, last 6 digits should suffice. As far as location is concerned, you have your location in your profile information. The VFW is currently doing a registry for members of all the posts in the U.S. All the info that you give is Post Number, Name, Telephone, and Unit served in.

Obviously, we wouldn't be able to get every cars info because quite a few probably don't use this site. Guidelines could be set, info can be distributed across quite a few people. If enough people have access (whether digital or hard copy), it'll always be available to third gen owners.