Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Decent crimpers for GM terminals

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Decent crimpers for GM terminals

I'm planning to do a bit of wiring on my project in the near future. There are some Weatherpack, Metripack, Micropack, Pac-Con, etc terminals I want to be able to replace correctly. From looking around online, crimp tools range wildly from $20-30 plier type tools, to $300 ratcheting monstrosities, to include tools with interchangeable dies and blah blah features. So I'm looking for recommendations and feedback on tools to buy or to avoid.

I'm not looking to get into production, just repairing a couple harnesses, and making a few minor changes. Is there a single tool that will do most GM terminals found on a thirdgen?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Decent crimpers for GM terminals

I use this one, the cheaper non ratching one work good too.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/CRIMPING-TOOL...UCJQStyn1kolyA

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Delphi-Packar...IAAOSwYc5aAbEb
Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I'll have to look at the one I bought to do my harnesses. I bought the generic Delphi ones kind of like the first ones Tuned posted but they kind of suck for more than a few crimps. I was actually going to try those parallel jaw ones like the second ones Tuned posted. The 3rd one I bought was nice, but they pivoted instead of parallel jaws and the small crimps, for 22 gauge, would always twist the terminal since it was closest to the pivot.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the feedback... I might just have to try the cheapo crimpers to get my feet wet, and consider an upgrade at a later time. At close to $100 bill, I'd hate to end up with a tool I hate using. For under $30, if they get the job done, how can you go wrong?

What are the advantages of the ratcheting crimpers over the non-ratcheting?

I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

I haven’t used the cheaper ones in a long time. I think the ratcheting ones crimp down harder. The work well for ecm to larger weatherpack. With the larger weatherpack you have to do them in two stages to get the ears started then the final crimp.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

The crimping action is nice because you can start to clamp down, but just enough to hold the terminal in position so you can get the wire in and get everything lined up. Without the ratcheting action you have to get the terminal aligned with the wire and the tool at the same time. It is definitely worth it, I hate using the non ratcheting now. If you're only doing a few connections, it's not big deal, but I built my entire LS swap harness for the engine and made it plug and play, so I made hundreds of crimps, and I plan on making at least two more harnesses. I can take pictures of all the crimpers I have bought so far later, I have 5 or 6 now trying different ones.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

i do this every day at work and i use the packard 12085270 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/SARGENT-Too...kAAOSwsBtaA1ZF

this one. we have the ratchet action disabled on our tool. i agree with scooter and Tuned performance, this i have found make a textbook scrolled crimp.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by QUICKCHICKEN
i do this every day at work and i use the packard 12085270 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/SARGENT-Too...kAAOSwsBtaA1ZF

this one. we have the ratchet action disabled on our tool. i agree with scooter and Tuned performance, this i have found make a textbook scrolled crimp.
That's exactly the tool I have. I like the ratcheting on it, but the closest crimp to the pivot turns the terminal. Would still recommend though
Old 11-15-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mac Tools part #TCT1028. It's dual action not ratcheting, it's not as wide as the Pakard but works well. Bought about 15-20 years ago, don't remember how much they were. I brought a second pair for home use. The Matco pair is not dual action and doesn't work well.
Joe
Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

Oops... Meant to update this thread, but I've been busy wiring.

I ended up buying an El Cheapo crimper like the second link Tuned Performance posted, but the version with all B jaws in different sizes. For now I'm working mostly with the dash harness, so I don't have seals to deal with, just yet.

For the price I can't complain, they get the job done, but anything bigger than about 14ga doesn't work too well. Outstanding with 22ga wires, but 12 or 10 are too much for even the largest positions in the jaws.

Next time around I think I'd invest in the ratcheting "proper" tool, like the Sargent. I read good things about the style tool that's somewhere between the Sargent and the type I bought, but couldn't find any place that still sold them.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!