Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

multiple electrical issues where to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 5.7 T.B.I.
Transmission: 700R4
multiple electrical issues where to start

Hello guys, my 89 RS sat for about 5 years and I had to replace the injector relay to get it running so it runs now but my trunk pull down motor won't stop running so I unplugged it until I can deal with the mech, I think thieves jacked it up, it was fine when I parked it. Coincidentally or not you tell me, but my blower motor started running again (so happy it's hot out!) when I unplugged the trunk pull down motor. The headlights will not come on. I do have brake lights though, the brake lights don't light half up when the headlight switch is in the on position. My tachometer bounces up when I start the car then lies at 0 rpm after that quick bounce. My turn signals don't blink, they just stay on. I know my right front blinker bulb is out but the left one lights up. Is there a headlight fuse link on the starter? Oh, and if she gets hot she won't turn over until she cools off...whew! There's more but that's the electric end! Thanks guys!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: multiple electrical issues where to start

[QUOTE= Oh, and if she gets hot she won't turn over until she cools off...[/QUOTE]

Start there

Get underneath and confirm the condition of the wiring running between the battery, starter and alternator, take the wires off, clean the terminals, probably replace the wiring while you are there.

Check all of your grounds, detatch, clean the terminals/connectors and reattach.

the rest of the gremlins sound like symptoms of a more integral electrical issue (power & ground)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:37 AM

Sounds logical to me! I'll start at the starter! Thanks!
Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Buy a can of electrical cleaner and get a polishing rag and some compound and clean the Hell out of all your terminals and connections most of your troubles will be corroded connections. A dremel with a buffer wheel and a tiny bit of polishing compound will clean the worst terminals in a couple of seconds.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 AM

just looking through my old posts - there was a fusable link just hanging from my starter. Fixed that and lights, radio all kinds of things worked again! Imagine that! Thanks again for everyone's input.