Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Gauge illumination lights not working on 1985 pontiac firebird.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge illumination lights not working on 1985 pontiac firebird.

All fuses are good. Headlight switch is good. Keep in mind I have had the interior carpet and center console pulled. Done some wiring under the dash for external gauges and replaced the engine so a wire could have been pulled somewhere. The warning lights in the gauge work but not the perimeter of the gauge lights work that illuminate the gauges themselves. Any wiring related to those gauge light please don't hesitate to recommend me to look at even if you think it might not be it. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Held; 06-02-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Gauge illumination lights not working.

Anything else not working? Tell us more about the specifics of the car, year, camaro or ‘bird and anything else that may not be factory. No matter which flavor you have see if there are other lights that may be out as well that could clue us in to the problem. If you still have heater controls they are also on that circuit. If the backlighting is out also there and your Inst Lps fuse (should be 5A) is not blown(verify by checking for continuity not just by sight) you could be looking at a switch. If no 12v at the fuse, a fusible link is suspect, if heat control lights work maybe a bad or dirty connect in the cluster connector.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Do the backlights on the HVAC control come on? Grab a 12v test light and check for voltage at the extra terminal for gauge lighting in the fuse block. Think it's the one marked gauges, should be hot when the lights are on.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulyC
Anything else not working? Tell us more about the specifics of the car, year, camaro or ‘bird and anything else that may not be factory. No matter which flavor you have see if there are other lights that may be out as well that could clue us in to the problem. If you still have heater controls they are also on that circuit. If the backlighting is out also there and your Inst Lps fuse (should be 5A) is not blown(verify by checking for continuity not just by sight) you could be looking at a switch. If no 12v at the fuse, a fusible link is suspect, if heat control lights work maybe a bad or dirty connect in the cluster connector.
oh crap stupid me. It's a 1985 pontiac firebird. Also the radio, temp gauge, volt meter, and oil pressure gauge are aftermarket. Meaning I bought the three in a row gauges and mounted them somewhere else. A lot of the wiring for emissions is disconnected since I went with carburetor. Not that that should have anything to do with it but just letting you know I've done a lot of work to it. But the lights when out way after I did all the engine work. And everything else works on the car, I do have the passenger side rear marker light unplugged do to bodywork I'm doing on that qauter panel. And the drivers side headlight just went out for some reason. Could just be a bad bulb though.

Last edited by Held; 06-02-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: Gauge illumination lights not working on 1985 pontiac firebird.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/thirdge...mer/index.html

this fixed my issue of the dash lights not turning on with the headlights