Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

I need plenty of electrical advice

Old 08-27-2018, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need plenty of electrical advice

Here's what happened: The guy I bought the car (1986 Berlinetta sport 2.8L V6) from left a mess of wiring. He had a toggle switch to the cooling fan plugged into the fuse block, I removed the switch and rewired it the way it is supposed to be. He also had a toggle for the fuel pump spliced to the wires for the oil pressure/fuel cutoff switch, so I reconnected those wires to the cutoff switch. The guy installed a new starter but I had to replace the wiring from it to the alternator and battery because there were bare wires starting to melt. I also replaced the fuel pump and fan relays and the oil sending unit. The ignition coil is new.
I must have screwed up somewhere because before I started doing any of that the car would actually start and run just fine. Now I can't get it to crank at all. Turning the key does nothing!
I'm new to most of this stuff as this is my first project car.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: I need plenty of electrical advice

Check the fusible links at the starter. Make sure they're hooked back up, and of course still good.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 92 RS / 90 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 / 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Non-Posi / Posi - Both GU2 - 2.73

Engine Will Not Rotate When Attempting to start...

1. Check battery connections
2. Check battery charge - Could have went dead if disconnected for an extended period of time
3. Auto Trans not fully engaged in the park position
4.Broken, loose or disconnected wires in the starting circuit
5. Starter Motor pinion jammed in flywheel gear
6. Starter solenoid faulty
7. Starter motor faulty
8. Ignition Switch Faulty

This is my best shot, I typed this up directly from the troubleshooting section of my Haynes Manual... I also have a GM Service manual if additional info is needed. Hope this helps!
Old 08-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

If you turn the key to START and hear the solenoid "click" then you just verified that the purple wire leading to the starter solenoid is OK, and that the starter has a good ground. If you do not hear the solenoid "click" when the key is turned to run, then you can direct your attention to the purple solenoid wire and need to verify the starter has a good ground. (Since you replaced the starter; The starter gets it's ground from the engine block,...... be sure that the block-to-starter mating surface is clean,.... = no paint ).

Heck; the wiring *MIGHT* be OK & you're starter might have just failed. (Parts just die sometimes !) If the purple wire is getting battery voltage when the key is turned to RUN and the starter has good ground and still 'no crank' you'll need to re-check/verify all the power wires leading to/from the battery and to the starter are OK. If everything appears to be fine, you might just have a dead starter.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Reason I suggested the fusible links is because, you just worked on them.

I would also suggest, if the starter you have happens to include the old "R" terminal for points-type cars (LOTS of replacement solenoids do), make sure the purple wire is on the "S" terminal instead of the "R". "S" is the one closer to the block.

When you work on something, and something else that used to work no longer does, first thing to do is, go back and check your work.

While neither of the other advices are "wrong", they're just ... more trouble than they're worth, at the point of STARTING OUT on fixing this problem. They're both "right" and "good" as far as that goes, just, may well lead to a great deal of extra work, at the point where you currently are in the process. Use them both if the SIMPLE thing doesn't take care of it.

Go back and check your work FIRST.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

While neither of the other advices are "wrong", they're just ... more trouble than they're worth, at the point of STARTING OUT on fixing this problem. They're both "right" and "good" as far as that goes, just, may well lead to a great deal of extra work

How in the world can turning the key and listening for the solenoid be "more trouble than it's worth",... or "lead to a great deal of extra work" ?!?!

If the solenoid clicks than he doesn't have to crawl under the car to check what post the purple wire is installed on; and a 'no click' condition should get checked at the NSS BEFORE finding a helper, crawling under the car, and having the helper turn the key. ( talk about "a great deal of extra work" ! ) I can not comprehend how in the world anyone can think that sitting in the drivers seat and turning the key is more work than climbing under the car to inspect the solenoid wire. Everyone that posted has mentioned the wires to the starter and Ed and I included tips/info so R-Dog doesn't have to report back for additional tips if the starter/solenoid wires are OK. Crazy talk,... just !!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:47 PM

Thanks for all of your help so far, guys. I'll check on that starter when I have time this weekend.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

John, smoove out there, homeboy.

He already did that, and he already found out nothing happened. Time to move on.

Time for him to go back and check his work now.

Not rocket surgery here...
Old 08-31-2018, 03:38 PM

Ok, there were a couple of fusible links and wires that I missed while rewiring the starter solenoid. (Thanks Sofaking) I got it to crank, whoo-hoo!
Now there's a wire with some kind of terminal/plug thing under the dash, near the ignition switch. This wire is always hot. I can't remember whether I removed it or if it was always hanging loose. Either way, I can't find where it is supposed to go. It will crank but not start, so I'm guessing this has something to do with it.
Any help would be great. Thanks again guys.
Attached Thumbnails I need plenty of electrical advice-20180826_110202.jpg   I need plenty of electrical advice-20180826_110526.jpg  
Old 09-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Pretty sure that's the fog light harness power connection.........

Old 09-01-2018, 10:04 PM

I got it to start, just had to give it gas. Told ya I was new to this.
I'm not doing fog lights so I guess I'll just leave that wire alone. Thanks John!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Supreme Member

Make sure it doesn't ever have power on it. And if it does, repair the bare section.

Also, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to reattach that ground wire hanging out in the 1st photo; and try to figure out, and un-sodomize if possible, that blob of stuff with the blue butt splices and green tie-wraps.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

FYI: Looks like your car is a Sport Coupe,... not a Berlinetta.

If your VIN starts: '1G1AS.........' it's a Berlinetta; If your VIN starts '1G1AP..........' than it's a Sports Coupe.