Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

just got the car back from the auto body place for an insurance claim.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got the car back from the auto body place for an insurance claim.

And the wipers do not work in any way shape or form there's no power to the fuse from the engine side. They of course that they didn't do anything and the windshield wipers were fine when they were. There's literally no power on the fuse block and I see all the wiring schematics for the other side but where do I look to troubleshoot the power from the battery to the fuse box?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: just got the car back from the auto body place for an insurance claim.

If you've got the GM Service Manual for your car, go to the electrical section, and start at the TOC. You're looking for Power Distribution. You'll have a few pages that show the wiring from the battery to the distribution blocks, starter, etc. Then you'll have a series of diagrams that cover the wiring to and from each fuse. If you go to the section on the wipers, in the electrical diagrams, and it should show you most of the circuit, as well as show you flow charts and descriptions of tests you can perform to isolate the issue.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:53 AM

No I definitely do not have the service manual for the vehicle. that was the point of this post.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by elektrik
... but where do I look to troubleshoot the power from the battery to the fuse box?
The fusible links that are connected to the starter solenoid. Knowing the year, model, engine and induction (carb/EFI) would help us to help you.

RBob.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:28 AM

Car: 96 Impala 84 berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

so no power to the wiper fuse ? no power to the fuse block ? how did you drive it if no power to fuse block ?

what year ? you used volt meter and made sure you put the ground lead on a good ground ? or you used a test light ?

body shop work why ? where ?
Old 11-28-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
The fusible links that are connected to the starter solenoid. Knowing the year, model, engine and induction (carb/EFI) would help us to help you.

RBob.
Sure!! thanks.. 1989 Chevrolet CAMARO RS (vert). TBI 5.0L
Old 11-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jcat
so no power to the wiper fuse ? no power to the fuse block ? how did you drive it if no power to fuse block ?

what year ? you used volt meter and made sure you put the ground lead on a good ground ? or you used a test light ?

body shop work why ? where ?
<sarcasam>Yes, I meant to WHOLE FUSE BLOCK..</sarcasm> If you read my original post correctly I said there was no power ON the fuse block, implying only that particular fuse. No offense, but if you're not going to offer helpful suggestions, like other members here, I'd appreciate you not particapting. And of course I used a voltmeter.

Last edited by elektrik; 11-28-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:35 PM

Does the radio work (if it is stock)? Can see the reason in the wiring diagram. The radio and wiper share the same feed at the fuse block.

Starting from the upper left, the red wire is fed from fusible link B. That is connected to the starter solenoid. A little to the right and connector C100 is the large bulkhead connector by the brake booster.

From there that power link goes to a bunch of places, so I doubt that is the issue.

It would have to be closer to the fuse block.

RBob.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi

It might be helpful toward pointing you toward where to look if we knew exactly what was done to the car at the shop.

What sort of damage had to be repaired, and what did they do to repair it?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:53 PM

<sarcasam>Yes, I meant to WHOLE FUSE BLOCK..</sarcasm> If you read my original post correctly ''''I said there was no power ON the fuse block,'''' .... implying only that particular fuse. No offense, but if you're not going to offer helpful suggestions, like other members here, I'd appreciate you not participating. And of course I used a voltmeter.
how did you drive it with no power to the fuse block..? fuse link powers the ignition switch then sends battery volts to the distributor coil and other components .. they may have damaged the wiper motor ..blew a fuse or ? ..use a jumper fused wire see if the wiper works .

most likely a wiper fuse blew also .because of your odd ball comments on what you checked out ...LOL..
Old 12-02-2018, 02:34 PM

how did you drive it with no power to the fuse block..? fuse link powers the ignition switch then sends battery volts to the distributor coil and other components .. they may have damaged the wiper motor ..blew a fuse or ? ..use a jumper fused wire see if the wiper works .

most likely a wiper fuse blew also .because of your odd ball comments on what you checked out ...LOL..
please stop trying to harass me on this forum, or I will complain to the management. Your posts are not helpful at all in any way shape or form so please stop there now. I have already explained what I meant by that

Old 12-02-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Galaxie500XL
It might be helpful toward pointing you toward where to look if we knew exactly what was done to the car at the shop.

What sort of damage had to be repaired, and what did they do to repair it?
They replace the entire front fasha because someone had backed into the car over by The battery area
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM

hello again gentleman thank you all for the help so far. I'm trying to figure out where the relays are on the starter solenoid and what they look like.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:44 AM

anyone?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:10 AM

No relays on the starter (although the solenoid could be considered one).

The fusible links are on the large solenoid battery terminal. I don't have any pictures.

RBob.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:39 PM

since he stated he is a simpleton and a non mechanical person what he did before this issue was , he replaced the lock cylinder . now that could have messed up the ignition switch contacts.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:10 PM

since he stated he is a simpleton and a non mechanical person what he did before this issue was , he replaced the lock cylinder . now that could have messed up the ignition switch contacts.
I've had quite enough of you. I'll be complaining to the admins of the site regarding your comments, I did not change the lock cylinder
Old 12-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi

I've had quite enough of you. I'll be complaining to the admins of the site regarding your comments, I did not change the lock cylinder
Seriously?
Old 12-16-2018, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Jeezus. Stop being combative.

Check the fusible links on the starter. They look like wires (they *are* wires) attached individually to the starter solenoid.

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/0107...c7ebc.jpg.html

GD
Old 12-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I did not change the lock cylinder
So what's the story then?
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...-ignition.html
Old 12-18-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder

Check the fusible links on the starter. They look like wires (they *are* wires) attached individually to the starter solenoid.

GD
Thanks! I saw a couple that were right off the battery and those checked out.. I'll look for these as well
Old 12-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
The "story" was that it was not a lock cylinder stopping the car from starting at all it ended up being the starter. It was as simple as it was.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder

GD
just so I'm clear, I'm supposed to look at the two white wires connected to the starter? And make sure they are not burned out?

Old 07-03-2019, 03:11 PM

So. I finally revisited the wiper issue (ya, I'm tired of them not working). I used the meter to try to find the issue and ihave a couple of mysteries and I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out.. 1. The fuse block only has one (dead) wire connectef (see pic. It's the white wire). And while I was chasing things out I noticed that some other wires were in this plug but I don't know where the plug goes. Do you know where it plugs in? (See the other pic) . basically, if I can figure out where that plug goes and figure out which wire is hot to the motor and I can rig another accessory power to it.

UPDATE: Ok through searching the forums, I've figured out that the white (dead) wire powers the whole system.. a lesser question would by WHY it died, but I'm not extremely worried about that...what I AM worried about is what goes on the other side of that fused white wire..???

Last edited by elektrik; 07-03-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

The white wire is power out of the fuse block to the wiper system. If it's dead, check the fuse. If the fuse is OK then you need to get the power distribution wiring diagram for your car, and follow the trail until you find the break in the system.

Looks like someone already embedded a power distribution diagram - https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...ml#post6265330

So does your radio fuse have power? If so, look at the wiper fuse again. If not, you might want to look at that brown wire from the ignition switch. Or the red wire at C2 on the ignition switch, or check the red wire feeding the Pwr Acc circuit breaker for power... If any of this doesn't make sense to you, you probably need to pick up a service manual and start reading, or hire someone who understand auto electric.

The other plug sure looks like a switch connector. Without the wire colors, it'd be hard to guess, but maybe the foglight switch, or rear defroster, most likely not the problem with the wipers.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 PM

cool. thanks for solving the mystery with the plug as for the break in the system, don't you think the lack of a wire one side of the fuse block would be the problem??
Old 07-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

No, because the fuse block uses bus terminals. If you look at the diagram or the fuse block, the brass terminals are connected across several fuses. The same wire feeds power to the radio and wiper fuses. The hot side of the fuse terminals for both those terminals is one piece of brass with one wire coming in powering both. The fuses split the circuit off to two fused circuits, one for the radio and one for the wipers, so that if one fuse gets shorted you only lose one of the circuits instead of both.

Example -
Old 07-03-2019, 05:22 PM

interesting!! the radio does indeed work, although I have no idea if it's wired from the factory like it should be..

so it sounds like I should check the voltage on that brown wire above and to the left of the white one eh?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Well nuts, there's power going out of the fuse block but the motor isn't working. another motor does work because they tested it long ago now I need to figure out what's broken in between the connections

UPDATE: i have verified powerout of the fuse block, however I'm having trouble chasing it from the fuse block out into where the engine block is. Can't seem to find the right wires

Last edited by elektrik; 07-03-2019 at 07:27 PM.