Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Custom wiring project solving all the gremlins once and for all.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom wiring project solving all the gremlins once and for all.

hey guys so I have this 1992 salvage illegitimate Formula 3rd gen. Doing quite a few things to it but starting with the wiring, any tips? I've got a donor v6. Plan is to swap parts of the donor wiring harness in. So far I've got the passenger side engine bay wiring fabbed up. My plans are to break the car into "zones" with there own independent fuse box relays. I've always felt that these systems needed a way to isolate and electrical problem. Doing this in theory should also solve any unknown grounding issues being caused by faulty or non existent grounds. Another plan is to use the original gauges and also have an aftermarket set of gauges to be sure. Mechanically I am swapping the 305 to a L30 vortec setup with a 450/480 com cam (and everything that goes along with that....that's a story for another thread. Anyway. any thoughts on the wiring plan?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Custom wiring project solving all the gremlins once and for all.

Seems you'd be much further ahead to get the wiring diagrams from the GM Service Manual, and wire the car the way it was. 1992 Pontiac wiring is pretty good. No reason to reinvent the wheel and create more problems for yourself in the process.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:24 PM

More or less that's what i'm doing. Its all going back to factory, just a combination of the 3rd gen and the 4th gen vortec 350 that's going in. In theory it shouldn't wire up any different than the TBI. I'm keeping it TBI though. I have a holley TBI unit I picked up off of craigslist. The problem is the previous owner screwed the wiring up so bad its not salvageable. Literally everything is bi-passed and spliced in everywhere. So i'm taking the best parts of both wiring systems of the donor and the original car and making one good system....with some extra stuff in there for subs, lights, ya know....cool stuff.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 305/350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.27

you need to not worry about subs and lights,they can all be run from the existing fuse box and not "spliced in,******* dimwit style"
if you are using your existing tbi you do not need to add anything to your wiring,just bolt the old tbi back on.you will need to adjust
modify or re-calibrate the tbi/ecm to work with the 350 vs the 305.you wont improve anything adding to your existing wiring harness,
you will only complicate it and add more fault points to it.try to get as close to stock systems and wiring as possible if you want it to
work as intended.

you may want to find an unmolested wiring harness or look at painless wiring and start over from scratch completely.
either path is long and arduous and will involve a lot of head scratching,reading,electrical testing,more reading,more
head scratching,more wire pulling etc etc etc.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:40 PM

You can just buy a brand new 21 circuit harness for $100 have all brand new wiring
Old 03-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 305/350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.27

it all comes in a pretty box for one size fits all.check out how easy an ebay turbo kit is to install sometime.as previously mentioned,it is a long arduous task of retrofitting it to what you currently have ,fitting,removing,modifying,removing,installing,adjusting,modifying.just buying it is simple but getting it in and all connections made neatly,traceable and accessible afterwards is were it becomes quite an unpleasant task.you need almost a naked ,interior free,empty engine compartment car to do it properly