Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

1991 Camaro RS charging system Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 tbi L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
1991 Camaro RS charging system Help !!!

I bought a non running 91 RS 5.0 tbi with a locked up L03 ..... replaced the long block and it runs fine ..... but the alternator and starter wiring have me stumped!! The alternator puts out .03 v on the large post when running, if you jump the red wire to the post it will engage the starter. I looked at the starter wiring assuming I had put a wire where it didn’t belong , but can’t find anything out of the ordinary.. there is a purple wire and an orange wire on the solenoid and along with the large battery cable there is three wires on that post ....... i removed the orange wire from the solenoid and put it on the distribution block next to the battery assuming that’s where it went , and when I did that along with jumping the red wire to the alternator post nothing happened, this is where it just gets crazy!! While in that configuration I pulled the positive battery cable off with the engine running and the alternator came to life putting out 15v . Any help would be appreciated and any info as to exactly what wires go to the starter on both posts would help a ton

Here’s a picture of the alternator
Old 02-22-2019, 07:42 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: 1991 Camaro RS charging system Help !!!

Old 02-23-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 tbi L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Thanks for the schematic, I’ve looked at a dozen of them online but can’t make heads or tales of what’s wired wrong on my RS
Old 02-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Matt Hempel
I pulled the positive battery cable off with the engine running and the alternator came to life putting out 15v .
Matt , don't ever do that again !

Back in the good old days when there were no "Semiconductor" devices in cars , pulling a battery terminal on a running engine to check for charging was an acceptable test method . But then along came transistorized radios , and then transistorized voltage regulators and ignition systems , and before ya knew it along came transistorized fuel delivery systems . All this happened over time , starting in the late 1950s and by the end of the 1970s pretty much all cars had transistors in all of those applications . Now as we electronics hobbyists know , the bane of any semiconductor device , other than heat produced by overloading , is the "Voltage spike" . Suddenly , instantly , raising the voltage appreciably above the normal operating voltage of the device can result in the destruction of the "Semiconductor junction" . Now , here's your car running at a certain voltage , let's say in your case it was low 12 ish volts . When you pulled the terminal off and read 15 volts that 3 volts don't sound like much , right ? Well , for a few milliseconds after you broke the connection the actual voltage likely spiked much higher than 15 volts , and that spike can be damaging to all the devices I mentioned . Does it ruin stuff every time a battery terminal gets pulled on a running engine ? Of course not . In fact , I'll bet you could pull it quite a few times before frying any delicate little transistors . But CAN it happen that the pulled terminal fries something ? Oh Hell yea , it sure can , and there is no need to take that risk .

Old 02-25-2019, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Alternative Advice

Originally Posted by Matt
The alternator puts out .03 v on the large post when running
That means the alt output is not connected to the batt.

Originally Posted by Matt
there is a purple wire and an orange wire on the solenoid
But probably not on the correct locations.

The
purple wire goes to the S terminal.
The M terminal gets the
+
batt cable, and fusible links.

ALTERNATOR:

The heavier
red wire goes from a Fusible Link, to the positive stud, and should have power at all times.

The
thinner red wire goes from a different Fusible Link, to terminal S (the sensing circuit) and should have power at all times.

The
brown wire goes to terminal F (the turn-on input) from the FAN fuse, and should have power when the key is in the RUN position.

Happy Racing !

If You Think You Need Brighter Headlights ▬ You Have A Vision Problem.