Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Stereo rat's nest

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 11:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 305 High Output V8
Transmission: T5 Manual
Axle/Gears: Yup, still there
Stereo rat's nest

My car blew another fuse because of the utter hack job the previous owner did installing the WallyWorld Special stereo in my car. The athletic tape he used for his wire splices is starting to lose its adhesive and is falling off all the connections. I've ignored it until now because, hack job as it was, it at least worked and I had other things I wanted to do before focusing on the stereo. But I'm tired of not being able to listen to music, and so I might as well buy a good deck and install it properly... But first I need to figure out how to best fix this mess the previous owner left for me.

As you can probably see from the photo, this isn't the first time someone replaced the deck. There are a bunch of butt connectors behind the athletic taped wires, which I can only assume was done by someone who was at least trying to make a clean install after cutting the factory harness. If you look at the hack job coming from the current stereo, it's pretty obvious that this stereo wasn't installed by the same person.

Aside from just splicing in the harness from a new stereo to the original wiring and getting rid of the second set of splices, are there any other options that can clean up this mess and not leave me fighting with a bunch of wires that were cut too short? I just want to know what my best available options are so I can do it once and fix it right.

​​​​​
Old 07-12-2021, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Radio Active

What you want to do is technically easy but a lot of time is involved.

You "simply" have to follow each spliced wire to a termination point, then replace it with a longer one of the same color and gage.

Some trim or carpet removal will be necessary.

If this is not your DD then time is on your side.

If this is your DD you might want to compromise by just replacing the easy to access ones, and the rest just making sure the splices are secure.

◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙
Happy Racing!
◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙
Front Wheel Drive Is For Tricycles