Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

lt1 swap/ alternator issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 vert
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5
lt1 swap/ alternator issue

was able to swap in the lt1(using the 95 lt1 impala accessories), however on my old wire harness that leads to the alternator there is three wire(one red two brown). And on the lt1 wire harness there is only one brown. When I let the lt1 stay on for 10-15 minutes then turn it off, then re-start it the battery is dead(which says that the battery is not being re-charged obviously).

Any info would be great. thanks
Old 04-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: Lt1
Transmission: T56
Blue....did you try hooking things up like I said in the email I sent? If not...and you're confused about my directions...I'll try and explain them a little better. First make sure the alternator is still good by taking it and having it tested. Let us know what happens and we'll go from there.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:45 AM
Supreme Member

I just installed a LT1 alternator(140 amp) on my 350. I am running the LG4 wiring. I got a 2 wire plug from a car at the junk yard, and wired it up to the 2 wires on my car(red and brown). I wired the red wire to the rear post on the alternator where the wire connects from the battery which is how it was on my origional setup. The other one I just spliced into the wire that runs off into the harness(I assume for the gauge). Would this work properly. I think the alternator is going bad so I am going to take it to have it checked out and possibly rebuilt tomorrow, but just wanted to make sure that my wiring is correct. I was showing rather low voltage at the gauge and the alt sounded like a bearing might be going out so I assume that it is just a problem with the alt. The car is an 85 trans am. Let me know.

Ben
Old 04-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: Lt1
Transmission: T56
Momar, I had 4 total wires coming from my Lt1 alternator. I wired it like you mentioned and it seems to be fine. My Lt1 alternator had the big fat red wire from the post on the back of the alternator going to the battery. The next slightly smaller red wire went to the pair of red wires coming from the original harness. Then the brown wire also went to the one on the original harness. I added an 8 gauge wire from the battery to the pair going into the car because these two wires need 12v all the time...on or off.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:26 PM

Car: 87 vert
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5
there was two things wrong. one the alternator went down the big alternator in the sky. when the swap was done from carb to lt1 - some wires where being cut... bla bla bla.. short story= the brown/white wire was cut. found that the wire was cut after tracing the two brown wires back to the bulk-head.
thanks everyone for all your help.
took the new camaro out for the first time today... it's soooo sweet.
paint it next....
Old 04-19-2003, 06:21 PM

you got any pictures?
Old 04-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Trans Am#5
Momar, I had 4 total wires coming from my Lt1 alternator. I wired it like you mentioned and it seems to be fine. My Lt1 alternator had the big fat red wire from the post on the back of the alternator going to the battery. The next slightly smaller red wire went to the pair of red wires coming from the original harness. Then the brown wire also went to the one on the original harness. I added an 8 gauge wire from the battery to the pair going into the car because these two wires need 12v all the time...on or off.
It turns out the gauge is just wrong. I tested the voltage with a fluke multimeter and it was about 14.4 and it showed about the same through a snap on scan tool. I have a couple other gauge clusters and I am going to try the temp gauge out of another one to see if that is the problem(I just swaped this one in).

Ben