Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

short block question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 iroc camaro
Engine: 350 L98
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi
short block question

Hi all
I am currently rebuildingmy L48 350 engine for camaro and the engine is now stripped down to the shortblock. The engine is in preaty good shape apart from a badly worn camshaft , 3 lobes had benn worn to a round shape ,. and a very slightly worn crank.
Now the engine is in bits im looking for a rebuild kit to suit my application but before i buy i was hoping to run a few things past you guys.

1. Is it worth regrinding the original crank or would it be worth investing in a new one while the engine is in bits ? as i said its not that bad but not to sure if the stock ones are up to much anyway ?

2. i live in the U.K and have finally found a supplier here that stocks these kits so this is what i'm going for http://www.americanv8engines.co.uk/?..._Rebuild_Kits.
Is this an adequate kit for for a street / strip application. I'm looking to get my motor to about the 330 bhp / 350 lbs torque mark so i need to make sure my bottom end is up to the task , i know its not massive figures but i want to be certain i'm doing it right as i dont plan on dropping the engine again in a hurry.

3. What duration could i go on a cam without making the car undrivable on the road ?

4. One of my biggest aims is to get the CR on my engine up past the 8.1 ratio. Am i right in saying that aftermarket pistons and heads can improve this if so then are the pistons in this kit up to scratch

Many thanks in advance for any help i recieve . Thanks. Craig
Old 12-12-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 iroc camaro
Engine: 350 L98
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi
sorry i can see i have put this in the wrong section.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Re: short block question

Originally posted by fin170703

1. Is it worth regrinding the original crank or would it be worth investing in a new one while the engine is in bits ? as i said its not that bad but not to sure if the stock ones are up to much anyway ?

2. i live in the U.K and have finally found a supplier here that stocks these kits so this is what i'm going for http://www.americanv8engines.co.uk/?..._Rebuild_Kits.
Is this an adequate kit for for a street / strip application. I'm looking to get my motor to about the 330 bhp / 350 lbs torque mark so i need to make sure my bottom end is up to the task , i know its not massive figures but i want to be certain i'm doing it right as i dont plan on dropping the engine again in a hurry.

3. What duration could i go on a cam without making the car undrivable on the road ?

4. One of my biggest aims is to get the CR on my engine up past the 8.1 ratio. Am i right in saying that aftermarket pistons and heads can improve this if so then are the pistons in this kit up to scratch

Many thanks in advance for any help i recieve . Thanks. Craig
1. It depends on what you have, and what you want from this motor. Does it have a cast or forged crank in it now? 330hp should be just fine on a stock crank in good shape. How high do you want this engine to spin?

2. That seems like a good quality kit, but with one HUGE exception... that camshaft is garbage. Its an old '60s GM grind that never really worked. Go with a more modern cam. I would suggest a Comp Cams XE274H. Other than the cam that comes with that kit, it looks like a good kit to use.

3. What induction system? EFI or carb? If you are using a carb, I'd go with something around 230* on both intake and exhaust, with a 110 - 112 LSA. For EFI, Comp Cams has a set of cams specifically meant to work with EFI.

4. Even with the stock pistons (which are a 12cc dish IIRC) you can boost the CR quite a bit by using heads with smaller combustion chambers. Your stock heads will have 76cc chambers. Getting heads with 62cc chambers and a stock gasket will give you around 9.5 CR, and a 58cc head will be about 10:1 CR with a stock head gasket.