Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

LS1 swap wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1 swap wont crank

I am helping out a buddy with a LS1 swap. Its a 90 Iroc. Harness was redone by speartech. The two critical ls1 harness wires orange that goes to battery, and pink that goes to a switched 12v are wired correctly. The original TPI harness starter wires are on the ls1 starter. Any ideas?? Does the Iroc vats have anything to do with this?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Re: LS1 swap wont crank

madbrace, I have not done the swap myself as of yet. I have read alot about it though, since I will do one soon.

The VATS is going to stop it from cranking, so you will need to disable the system. What I will do(I am a GM/ASE Master tech if it matters) is ohm the origional keys chip to find out what resistance the theft system is looking for to allow cranking and starting. Say .500k ohm, radio shack will have a .500k ohm resistor that can be installed on the VATS connector under the column. Just some soldering using the origional connector on the opposite side of the vehicle harness will work fine.
Just in case you haven't been in there, avoid the Air bag wiring, it looks similar but will have a yellow jacket around it.

Of course all this is assuming your having the same problem I have read about saying it will cause trouble? You can verify by opening your starter relay(relays box cover comes off with a small scewdriver, or pick) and forcing it to crank with manual operation of the relay. Once you make it crank and if the relay does so, the VATS will disable the fuel system and the engine will lose fuel pressure and stall, most likely. A very good sign the VATS is the trouble.

Post if any of this makes sense or helps out? I'll help out if I can. Curious for my own swap soon, so no trouble.

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73

when you key up the car does the security light light up? if not check the ground wire for the vats box. (if you want to keep the security as far as starter disable)

if you just want to get around this last part of vats all togeather you can just bypass the relay in the kick panel

but I guess I sould list my qualifications too? I made my LS1 harness, L1, Master ASE, GM Master Tech Certified. There is more but I don't get hung up trying to prove my self I just like to help out now and then
Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 PM

88 350tpi formula:but I guess I sould list my qualifications too? I made my LS1 harness, L1, Master ASE, GM Master Tech Certified. There is more but I don't get hung up trying to prove my self I just like to help out now and then

That is cool, I hate guys like that too! But, sometimes it is important to let someone know you might now what your talking about, since there are so many clowns on the internet.
Can you believe some even go around trying to make other people look bad? Of course I would never do that.

I just like to try and help out of I can. LOL

...Jim
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73

Originally Posted by wedjim
That is cool, I hate guys like that too! But, sometimes it is important to let someone know you might now what your talking about, since there are so many clowns on the internet.
Can you believe some even go around trying to make other people look bad? Of course I would never do that.

I just like to try and help out of I can. LOL

...Jim

ah just giving you a hard time
Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 PM

Car: 84 camaro, 92 yota 4runner
Engine: 305 lg4 out of 81 z28
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: Not sure believe its 3.23

Well if your a ******* like me, you could just put it push button start if the starter won't crank lol. Just run a wire with power to your small stud on you starter. Make sure the key is on.