Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Third Gen 6.2l Diesel Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Chevy k2500 Diesel
Engine: 6.5l TD
Transmission: 4L80
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: Third Gen 6.2l Diesel Swap?

I guess I don't know for sure that it's a fresh engine, but it runs strong and is very healthy, also I know the guy I bought the truck, and I trust him. Also, it was originally a 6.2l truck (don't remember the year, but pre 1992), and it has an electronically injected 1995 6.5l diesel in it. So I do know for certain that the truck doesn't have the original engine.

I'll have to put up a walk around tour of the Camaro once I get some of the few last touches like paint, exhaust cut-out, racing seats, stereo, etc... Gotta make this thing comfortable for the next 8 months.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jmerber
I guess I don't know for sure that it's a fresh engine, but it runs strong and is very healthy, also I know the guy I bought the truck, and I trust him. Also, it was originally a 6.2l truck (don't remember the year, but pre 1992), and it has an electronically injected 1995 6.5l diesel in it. So I do know for certain that the truck doesn't have the original engine.

I'll have to put up a walk around tour of the Camaro once I get some of the few last touches like paint, exhaust cut-out, racing se ats, stereo, etc... Gotta make this thing comfortable for the next 8 months.
just a sugestion, i think the idea of a diesel powered 3rd gen is kool, but the gm diesels have a bad reputation. why not try to explore
the idea of squeezing a cummins 6bt 12v? there tough as nails and make quick power with a few tweaks. imagine 800lbs of torque ripping through the tires....
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Yeah, 6bt would be amazing! Except it won't fit without MASSIVE fab work and suspension upgrades etc... I think my next project after this might be a 6bt or 4bt in a '90's Suburban, and even in a vehicle that big it's gonna be way custom. Besides that, the 6.5l Turbo Diesel is a great engine! We went over this earlier in the forum, but it was the first couple years of the 5.7l Diesel that was disastrous, not the 6.2l or 6.5l diesel engines... There's a reason the 6.5l Turbo Diesel is still the engine of choice in the military Hummers. ;-)
Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

6BT into late '80s Suburban is not only easy, but is becomming commom. There are kits. And some of those late '80s burbs have awfully luxurious interiors. The swap is far easier if you use a 2WD 'burb.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:27 PM

Yeah I used to have an '88 2x4 Suburban with the 6.2l Diesel! Really liked it a lot! I'm kinda thinking I'd like the '90's body style though (I wanna keep the truck even after I'm married and don't want to give my future wife a reason to sell the truck for feeling outdated and hick or something ) , and also 4x4 since I live in snow country... Thinking I'll probably do a solid front axle swap, manual trans conversion, and 3" lift on it also. Where have you found '80's kits? I'd love to see them! Wonder how much would work on a '90's suburban also.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:07 AM
On Probation

If you were going 2wd, it'd be easier to just put the newer cab and bed on the older frame. But straight front axle sucks for snow, ( ask me how I know ) and you'd do better to keep the IFS. I've seen one truck with a 6BT over the IFS, it wasn't butchered to do, either.
But even if the Camaro liiks as bad as the donor truck, we need a pic of it, not a walk-around movie of a show-quality IROC-Z.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 PM

Oh yeah! I actually put a picture up. Check post #94. Here's the link:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kiGefbbwmz...0/CIMG0773.JPG
Old 07-31-2010, 12:38 PM
On Probation

Excellent!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice project! any updates?
The following users liked this post:
turbonator (03-19-2020)
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 AM
On Probation

Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun
I wish I had an update, but unfortunately right now I'm just enjoying the 305 gas engine. I won't be able to start on the swap until next summer. But man, this thing had a decent amount of suspension work done to it. It handles like a bat out of hell! I love it! Oh, and yesterday I drove a Ford Explorer... First time I've driven anything except this car in a couple months... WOW. What a blocky piece of metal that Explorer was! This Camaro has really spoiled me.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by jmerber
I wish I had an update, but unfortunately right now I'm just enjoying the 305 gas engine.
The word you're looking for isn't "enjoying", it's "suffering".
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 AM

The word you're looking for isn't "enjoying", it's "suffering".
Is it really that bad? Keep in mind I'm coming from a 1993 Chevy k2500 4x4, lifted with big mud tires and a 6.5l Turbo Diesel... Hahaha...
Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 AM
On Probation

It's not my intent to make you unhappy or dis-satisfied, but yes, it really is that bad. I went from my '95 Z28 convertible, with LT1, 4L60E, 2.73:1, and 235/55R16s, to a '91 RS, with LO3, 700R-4, 2.73:1, and 235/55R16s. The difference was night and day. After the LT1, living with the LO3 really was suffering.
I guess it's best that it's only a 305, so that the diesel swap won't cause suffering.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:24 AM

It's not my intent to make you unhappy or dis-satisfied, but yes, it really is that bad. I went from my '95 Z28 convertible, with LT1, 4L60E, 2.73:1, and 235/55R16s, to a '91 RS, with LO3, 700R-4, 2.73:1, and 235/55R16s. The difference was night and day. After the LT1, living with the LO3 really was suffering.
I guess it's best that it's only a 305, so that the diesel swap won't cause suffering.
Haha... True. I won't be too terribly disappointed with the 6.5l Diesel after this. Although an aftermarket turbo controller and a chip should bring me up to about 260 HP, which with all the torque should be able to make this thing move quick! My bro has the same mods on his Suburban and he get's about 8.5 seconds 0-60.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:28 AM

And the Suburban does weigh about twice the amount of the Camaro.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 AM

Did this ever get done?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 pontiac firebird
Engine: 6.5 turbo diesel
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: Ws6 axle

what happened with your project? i am thinking bout doin this to my bird. i have a 350 sitting in the garage i was planing to stick in her but i also have a 88 6.2 diesel jimmy sitting in my driveway. i got the truck as part of a trade with alot of other parts and have made my money back plus some selling the junk i dont need. originally i was gonna fix up the truck but as i started looking at it closely the body is to far gone to save and the wiring harness is non existent. along with alot of other missing parts. my father in law is a diesel tech knows everything bout these trucks and motors. they are they same size from tranny to motor mounts as a small block chevy and use same motor mounts. the 6.2 intake will not clear the firebird hood but a 6.5 turbo intake will not only directly bolt on the 6.2 but it is lower and should clear hood. it also blocks egr ports making it an egr delete. and it has better flow and a larger opening so more air can get in which means more power. if i do decide to go thru with this i wont put a turbo on it but will bump up the fuel pump for more fuel and with 6.5 turbo intake giving it more air i expect 210 hp and almost 300 pound feet torque thats what our 85 blazer got with a similar set up. these motors weigh bout 700 pounds about the same as a 454 but there block is about the same size externally as a 350. gas motor automatic transmissions have different shift points than diesels auto trans. they can be converted but it is cheaper to just get a diesel trans. standard trans will work with gas or diesel but diesel trans are designed to handle the extra torque. 700r4's are worthless behind a 6.2 or 6.5 in a truck they overheat and die every 12- 18 months we have to replace them . yes we but the heck out of the trucks and haul twice what they are rated for but still we have never had that problem with our standard trucks just an occasional blown clutch every couple years. the only reason i am considering the swap is cuz all of our diesel trucks get between 24 and 32 mpg. so i think in a lil f body i could get over 35 to 40 mpg. i can get that motor in my bird in a day i see no issues with fitment. my issues are wiring. i can use the birds factory ignition wiring for the starter and the distributor wiring can be modified to run the injector pump but i will have to build the glow plug relay from scratch. that's all the wiring needed to get a 6.2 running. also that is all that is needed with 93 and older 6.5's na and turbo with mechanical injector pumps. 94 and up had an electrical injector pump which run off the pmd. not only is that extra wiring to swap in. but those systems are no were near as reliable as the older mechanical injector pumps. the next issue is fuel. a metal gasoline fuel tank has stuff in it i cant remember what its called. but its to keep the gasoline from eating the metal off the tank and lines. if i tried to drain the gas motor fuel system and hook it to the 6.2 and fill with diesel fuel that coating comes of with small metal fragments that will eat the injector pump. so i got to buy a fuel cell for diesel or if i can get a plastic factory gas tank from a fourth gen f body that will work just need to run diesel fuel lines. and exhaust is the issue i have no clue on what to do with. big block gas motors headers have different exhaust flanges and will not fit. and the wold most likely hit the injectors. i am gonna search see if i can source a set of block hugger shorty headers for the 6.2 cheap? and also got to find radiator. a factor 350 or 305 radiator will fit but will not cool the 6.2 sufficiently. a high performance 350 radiator might work but not sure. also diesels have an oil cooler a trick we usually do is take an ac cooler and hook the oil cooler lines to it. that cools the oil alot better. but i want to keep ac so i have no place to put another cooler? the last issue i have is i still need a standard tranny. that is also why i have not stuck a 350 in the bird yet. i aint sure if i will do this to my car yet but figured i would share my info and research with anyone else interested in the swap. and our 6.2 and 6.5's oil pans hold 5 quarts and whole system holds 7 quarts if naturally aspirated. 7.5 quarts if turbo.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

I see no benefit whatsoever in putting a big, heavy, clunky, and weak diesel engine in a car like a 3rd gen. They have no HP but loads of torque...basically useless in a car. And I would think the gas mileage still wouldn't be all that great. I highly doubt youd get 35-40 MPG out of a diesel V8 just because it's in a lighter car. Just seems like a swap thats not worth it to me, and diesel these days is so expensive too. Just put an LSx engine in, get 28 mpg, and have HP....which is what a car should have.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Supreme Member

Nen-nen-nen-sound coming from a Thirdgen is unnatural.Hard for me to wrap my head around that.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 88 V6 'bird/89TBI bird/85 T/A
Engine: 2.8/TBI/TPI
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/2.73 open/ 3.27 9 bolt

I say "Get-R-Dun" and take some good pictures.

When I was converting older Chevy trucks from small block to diesel, I never had any problems with the fuel tanks. Maybe its the filter I was running? I used the large cartridge type from the 86 Chevy 1-ton. It has a built in heater as well.

The glow plug wiring? I never leave the automatic system in tact as I've had too many problems with it. I just buy the 10-second glow plugs and wire them to a heavy duty Ford starter relay. From there, I use a spring loaded toggle switch with a military cover over it to keep it from being turned on after the truck is running.

I've also never had a problem using small block radiators. On a third gen, the real key to cooling seems to be the baffling and ducting to the radiator. Worst case scenario, you can replace your factory aluminum/plastic radiator with a brass alternative. Plenty of aftermarket parts to fit the third gen for that. Also, I always take the blanks off of the back of the heads (the water port blanks that you hook the water manifold to in the front, depending on how you position the head) and weld in a 5/8 small block Chevy heater hose fitting. Then I run heater hose from there to the front water crossover. That keeps the head bolts from popping and evens out the cylinder temps front to back.

Why not leave the manifolds? Are you afraid that they're too wide? I'd just port them out and cut the outlets to 2 1/2" then fab your Y-pipe to fit. A standard 3" cat-back system will take car of the rest.

I've been contemplating this swap on a 3rd gen, too...

Oh, and you can buy the parts to make a 700R4 or 2004R live behind an N/A 6.2/6.5 diesel. Bowtie Overdrives and Art Carr both have parts to beef it up enough to live behind 600 HP or better setups. If you wanted a stick, though, I understand. Using a slightly modified 3rd gen V8 bellhousing and a T56 or a TKO 500 (with the pieces to fit a third gen) would be a great setup.

I think with a T56 you could reach 30 or better MPG. Who knows until you try?

AND if it totally sucks, you can always put your 350 back in hahahhahah. You've got nothing to lose, really!

Good luck!

Last edited by KrisW; 10-12-2011 at 06:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
turbonator (03-19-2020)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by whitedevilTA
I see no benefit whatsoever in putting a big, heavy, clunky, and weak diesel engine in a car like a 3rd gen. They have no HP but loads of torque...basically useless in a car. And I would think the gas mileage still wouldn't be all that great. I highly doubt youd get 35-40 MPG out of a diesel V8 just because it's in a lighter car. Just seems like a swap thats not worth it to me, and diesel these days is so expensive too. Just put an LSx engine in, get 28 mpg, and have HP....which is what a car should have.
not only are thirdgens lighter but they are also alot more aerodynamic than the old chevy trucks. and if we could squeeze 32 mpg out of an 85 chevy blazer. then i dont see why 35+ is out of the question for a firebird. and for me it would just be bout building something different then another 350 chevy or lsx powered firebird. that crap has been done a 1,000,000 times everyone has one were is the joy in that? i want my car to be unique i got alot of mods i plan to do to her that no one has done. and beside we got 7 6.2 motors laying in our shop and the one in my 88 jimmy. so i have access to these motors and parts for them. we only have 2 350 gas motors laying in the shop. and if i only wanted 28 mpg i would leave the tired 2.8 in my bird that gets 28 highway when its running good i know diesels are not highpower but they are easier to work on less maintenance and very reliable.

1gary
with the exhaust leeks the way they are my v6 sounds like a diesel. so i am used to getting asked if thats what is in there i kinda want to be able to tell someone yeah its a diesel.lol

KrisW
that's exactly what i was talking bout with the glow plug circuit. we did exactly that in 3 of our diesels so far. and that is alot more reliable than the glow plug solenoid that the trucks come with.

the radiators might work but i have baked a few diesels by running small radiators or having **** block the baffling to the radiator. we put a winch bumper on the 95 and that truck now runs 25+ degrees hotter. thats why most diesel trucks come with holes in the bumper. and a stock 87 firebird bumper has no air flow to the radiator so even with a good radiator i think i will still run to hot. thats why i plan to make a camaro bumper fit my bird they have a big opening in front for air flow and it will look like factory cuz its a gm design. i have removed alot of the junk behind the bumper to let air in already. and i could just cut a hole in my bumper and put mesh in it but that looks ugly and a bunch of people have done that.

and i like your idea to even cylinder temps i have not thought of that one. i will talk to my father in law to see if he has heard of that.

exhaust manifold will work but they are very restricted i want to get headers with 2 and half id pipes going to a 3 inch id collector and run 3 inch id strait from there. i have set of three inch stacks that would make a sweet set of sidepipes. thats what was on the 86 truck and that sounded bad and flowed amazing tuck had alot more power with that. the 85 blazer has stock manifolds to 3 inch and it screams too.

6.2's use standard chevy tranny bolt pattern so a t56 would bolt right up but idk what kind of fly wheel would be needed? if i can get a t56 that would be bad *** and i have had 3 700r4's in the firebird when the last one blew i said no more automatic transmissions will ever go in this car again! so no matter what motor goes in my car its getting a 5 or 6 speed stick.

also another issue i forgot about is the rear end not only is it small and week but the gearing would not be right. what do you think would be a good rear end and gear ratio to use?
and i still got to reinforce the body with sub frame connectors and maybe a roll cage.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '88 Trans Am GTA; '84 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350TPI; 5.3 LSx built
Transmission: N/A; T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt; 3.73 10 bolt

It requires an extreme notch of the crossmember, and another of the oilpan, to make it work.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, well, let's start at the beginning.

Cooling
-There is PLENTY of air that gets to the radiator in a Firebird, when the baffling and ducting is right. I don't particularly like the Camaro nose on a firebird body, but its your car. I have been thinking of using the 82-84 nose and removing the grilles in there for better flow, along with hollowing out the portions behind the grilles to allow better air in. You could cover those holes with those aftermarket grilles from the parts store (that sort of look like expanded metal) and that wouldn't be so bad.

But I'm firebird partial, so that's me.

-I started doing the cylinder head equalization trick back in the 90's with the heater hose. I was in the Navy, and we worked on a ton of the tactical Chevy pickups (CUCV) with the 6.2 engines. I started converting gasoline pickups over, and I even did a ton of work with the older Olds 5.7 diesels. In my quest to keep head gaskets from popping, I came across an old article in a Circle Track magazine. They were doing this in the 70's, and it was working out for them, so I figured, why not? A before and after test confirms that the cylinder temps do equalize after the mod is performed. No more broken or stretched head bolts in the back.

Exhaust

-As I said before, I would rework and seriously port/polish those manifolds. I have seen guys do it with gas engine parts that are racing in the F.A.S.T. class, where factory iron intakes and exhaust are mandatory. Most, if not all, of the reworked manifolds produce track times that are better than shorty headers. And you can do the work yourself with a die grinder and dremel set.

-From the manifolds, a nice Y-pipe made from mandrel bent 2 1/2" pipe, going to a Flowmaster Y transition, then to a nice 3" cat back system. A Buick 455 powered 87 Trans Am that I first saw in Hot Rod and then on this forum ran in the 11's with that setup. It fits your car better and will keep your low rpm power from draining off due to heat escaping too quickly.

Transmission

-You should be able to use a regular 6.2 flywheel with the LT-1 T56 setup. The LS1 T56 uses a different clutch and might be difficult to get your flywheel machined to accept it. The LT1 is more conventional. You could use standard parts with a modified 3rd gen bellhousing to accommodate your starter, and just bolt in a third gen designed 5 speed replacement, like the TKO500.

Rear Axle

-Strange S60; that Dana 60 will bolt right in and can handle anything.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by L695speed
It requires an extreme notch of the crossmember, and another of the oilpan, to make it work.
Spohn tubular K-member...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Also, I think you'll need some car V8 small block Chevy motor mount shells that bolt to the block. The truck parts put your engine up another few inches, and every inch counts to get under the hood.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM

i finaly found a thread about someone putting a diesel in a third gen its not a 6.2 but it is diesel and brings up a good point. they vibrate alot more than a gas motor.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Where you at with this Build is it still even going
Old 02-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Camaro, '94 Camaro, 3 others
Engine: LG4 ->L29, L32->LR4, L36, LG4, L31
Transmission: 700R-4, T5WC, 4L80E, SM465, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, WTB/WTT 2.93

Atilla did get his 6.2 into his '84 T/A, but this thread died more than 4 years ago, so that was probably the end of it.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by cosmick
Atilla did get his 6.2 into his '84 T/A, but this thread died more than 4 years ago, so that was probably the end of it.
Ya left this build with a horrible ending forsure
Old 02-15-2016, 06:15 PM

Car: 83 c10, 2015 silverado
Engine: 454, 5.3
Transmission: Turbo 35o, 6l80
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3:23

I find it funny how a lot of people were amazed that a 6.2 would fit in a third gen.... It's just a bbc that Detroit diesel modified.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Regal105
I find it funny how a lot of people were amazed that a 6.2 would fit in a third gen.... It's just a bbc that Detroit diesel modified.
I know what u mean,

Pretty much any gm transmission will bolt right up
Old 05-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Camaro, '94 Camaro, 3 others
Engine: LG4 ->L29, L32->LR4, L36, LG4, L31
Transmission: 700R-4, T5WC, 4L80E, SM465, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, WTB/WTT 2.93

Originally Posted by Regal105
Not really, the only BBC aspects were bellhousing pattern, mounting bosses, and overall external dimensions. Things like bore centers, deck heights, and other major things were very different. The original Detrout design was far beefier than the first production 6.2 blocks that appeared in 1982. The 6.2 exgaust manifolds dump into a gas 350 y-pipe perfectly.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by cosmick
Not really, the only BBC aspects were bellhousing pattern, mounting bosses, and overall external dimensions. Things like bore centers, deck heights, and other major things were very different. The original Detrout design was far beefier than the first production 6.2 blocks that appeared in 1982. The 6.2 exgaust manifolds dump into a gas 350 y-pipe perfectly.
So I got a 89 camaro well I'm probably going to drop a 6.2 Or 6.5 in it when I get around to it