Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

RHS vs FastBurn-experiance please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
RHS vs FastBurn-experiance please...

I'm in a odd situation- live in a northern Canadian city with no automotive machine shops, soooooo- here's the problem, lost #8 cylinder and found out it's the intake valve, the engine has less than 10k km's on it. The expense of shipping and downtime of at least 3 weeks are making me think of just trying to source a good set of alternatives and take a few days to swap. Currently using RHS vortec with 2.02/1.6 iron lightly ported- no complaints with the 170cc ports and have already ordered a FIRST TPI intake to replace the Eddy TPI on there now. The app is a Chev 4x4 700r4 so I need to keep the heads reasonable- I've looked at several- oe vortecs are out as they wouldn't handle the cam I have- looking with interest at a good set of used or reman FastBurns, they are somewhat dated but they seem to be well liked and sounds like GM had a few tricks that even though they are 200cc the smaller valves tame it. Any suggestions and/sources to find a set and what should I pay? New is nice but the limit is around $800 and also the compression is an issue since the engine was spec'd for 64cc iron and a truck- I set it at 9:1, with alum I would have easily went 10:1 but other than watching quench dimensions I can only deal with chamber and 62cc with the GM's helps a little. Also I am using Eddy TES headers with no issues using vortec- are the angled plugs going to be a problem? That would kill the deal.
Thanks