Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

v6 to v8 wiring mess

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v6 to v8 wiring mess

Hey guys doing a v6 to v8 swap in a 86 camaro which the engine and trans were both gone but all the wiring was left with nothing labeled. I'm putting a vortec 350 carburated motor in it and I'm trying to figure out what wires I'm going to need to run the electric fuel pump ignition switch and whatever powers my fuse block so I still have my lights windows and all that good stuff it should be fairly simple just a little overwhelmed with all the wires any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:29 AM

Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro
Engine: 2.8L Carb V6 for now
Transmission: 1 speed 700r4 for now
Axle/Gears: 3.42 for now.
Re: v6 to v8 wiring mess

Originally Posted by ksnawder
Hey guys doing a v6 to v8 swap in a 86 camaro which the engine and trans were both gone but all the wiring was left with nothing labeled. I'm putting a vortec 350 carburated motor in it and I'm trying to figure out what wires I'm going to need to run the electric fuel pump ignition switch and whatever powers my fuse block so I still have my lights windows and all that good stuff it should be fairly simple just a little overwhelmed with all the wires any info would be greatly appreciated.
You do realize someone asked the exact same questions four posts below right
Old 04-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Yeah and that doesn't relate to what I'm asking iv read all the v6 to v8 post nothing has been said about which color wires my engine bay has a mess of wires that I have to sort thru nothing was marked when the previous owner removed the engine is done moved engine mounts front brake line and new trans cross member and torque arm for my th350.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Yeah and that doesn't relate to what I'm asking iv read all the v6 to v8 post nothing has been said about which color wires my engine bay has a mess of wires that I have to sort thru nothing was marked when the previous owner removed the engine is done moved engine mounts front brake line and new trans cross member and torque arm for my th350.
My point being is what is said in the other posts are the same thing. The best thing you can do is look up a wiring diagram/chart for your make/model of your F-body. From there you need to just go into the engine bay and start labeling wires. There is no simple way of doing a swap, it's going to be difficult and tedious.

OR you could get a universal EZ-Wiring harness or something from Pain-less and just re-wire your engine F-body which would have some benefits as well.

-Disjaukifa
Old 04-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Man if you don't have any good advise plz don't comment I have diagrams I'm pretty sure I know which wires I need pink to dist white to instrument cluster orange for lights and windows. I'm just trying to talk to someone that has done this before that could confirm obviously you have not because you can't give a awnser to anything.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:44 PM

Man if you don't have any good advise plz don't comment I have diagrams I'm pretty sure I know which wires I need pink to dist white to instrument cluster orange for lights and windows. I'm just trying to talk to someone that has done this before that could confirm obviously you have not because you can't give a awnser to anything.
I gave an answer to your post because I have done engine swaps, complete car re-wiring, and Carb -> EFI conversion and EFI -> Carb. Hell I've even done a Megasquirt Conversion on an LT1. Everything I posted to you was how I've done swaps.

If you wanted confirmation on what you were asking, how about you post what you have found on your harness and what you see on your diagram? Was the V6 that came out of your Camaro the computer controlled carburetor or EFI? There is so much information missing no one on here is going to be able to help.

I mentioned the EZ-Wiring harness BECAUSE depending on how hacked up your original harness is, because you are looking to do a 350 Vortec carburetor swap, it would take more effort initially but would save you so much heartache in the long run. I just finished a re-wire on a 78 CJ-5 with a complete EFI conversion as well, and let me tell you having all new wires that are labelled and I made my own diagrams as well has been very nice.

Again my two cents from someone that has done everything you are asking about.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:01 PM

If it was carburated v6 I wouldn't have any questions it would be as simple as moving a breadline and dropping her in and go lol. And good for you man I could give two xxxx what ur so called accomplishments are you have given zero insight to the question iv asked hopefully you can take ur comments elsewhere.
But if anyone on here that is not into talking themselves up can shed some light like if said iv labeled the wires I know about. I'm not going to go thru this whole harness labeling a bunch of bs I don't need that's just a waste of time I'm taking all computer controls out of this vehicle including ac. All I need is power to start headlights brake lights and fuel pump if you guys think it's easier to go with a mechanical fuel pump I would be okay I'll just drop the tank and install my fuel cell.

Last edited by five7kid; 04-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

If indeed all of the wiring was left in there, then the first step would be to identify the large bundle that comes into the engine compartment from the passenger fender well. We'll refer to that as the ECM harness. Take the fender liner out of the passenger side, it passes into the passenger compartment in the back. Now DON'T cut anything! It can all be unhooked and pulled out as one piece.

Now, go inside the car and remove the passenger kick panels on the side and under the dash. The ECM is mounted vertically under the dash. Remove the two screws holding it up, and drop the ECM. Disconnect the harness going to the engine compartment (at this point I'd say put the ECM back up where it was). Unclip the bulkhead connector (or pass-through connector - where the harness passes through the body panel to the fenderwell) and pull the harness out into the fenderwell. Now go back under the hood and pull that harness out. You may have to unclip it in some places to remove it, but again, you don't have to cut any wiring. You have now removed the bulk of the wiring you don't need.

The rest of the wires you'll need are for ignition power and gauges (and AC if you have it) . You haven't affected your lights, etc., at all.

If you don't use the factory fuel pump relay, you should power the fuel pump through a 30 amp or so universal relay rather from the ignition switch directly.
The following users liked this post:
Camaro69Guy (08-13-2023)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

If it was carburated v6 I wouldn't have any questions it would be as simple as moving a breadline and dropping her in and go lol. And good for you man I could give two xxxx what ur so called accomplishments are you have given zero insight to the question iv asked hopefully you can take ur comments elsewhere.
But if anyone on here that is not into talking themselves up can shed some light like if said iv labeled the wires I know about. I'm not going to go thru this whole harness labeling a bunch of bs I don't need that's just a waste of time I'm taking all computer controls out of this vehicle including ac. All I need is power to start headlights brake lights and fuel pump if you guys think it's easier to go with a mechanical fuel pump I would be okay I'll just drop the tank and install my fuel cell.
If you want help here, I suggest you cool your jets. You've been given reasonable advice, but you are acting like a spoiled brat. We don't cater to spoiled brats here.

We are willing to help, but you need to do your share. If you're not willing to go through your harness to label wires, well, I'm not inclined to give you any help. This was my last swap project, what you're talking about is child's play.

Name:  Tempstowampcoil_zpsf62c5f06.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  96.4 KB

Now, if you're behind on your meds, get caught up and we can continue this discussion. One more outburst, you're gone, pal.
The following users liked this post:
Camaro69Guy (08-13-2023)
Old 04-15-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 RS with T-Tops
Engine: 2.8L TPI Swapped to LT1
Transmission: 7004r auto Swapped to 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Stock Swapped to 3.27 Posi 9 bolt

The ecu is passenger side and ac is in the middle of the firewall and 90 percent of the wiring you will need to deal with is on drivers side. It has the starter wire, look for a big purple, and power wires for the interior, look for large red wires. The one thing you will have to search for is the gauge wires like one "for me" was a white tach wire. The other I remember was tan I think for oil pressure? Ones like the temp gauge ran thru the ecu...the connectors that have wires running across the dash from left to right connecting to the ecu are the ones you are looking for. Go here http://shbox.com/ and look for those connectors and you can find the wires for those "ecu" gauge wires. If you know what I mean.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:54 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

#1 rule when wiring: If you don't know what it is, then don't cut it.

All the chassis wiring (lights, dash, etc...) are powered by just a few red wires in the engine bay that have fusible links. These wires travel through the "C100" connector on the driver side firewall near the brake booster.

Distributor coil power is probably a large (12 gauge) Pink wire coming out of that same C100 connector. And most, if not all, of the wiring for dash gages is through that same connector as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the help man that's exactly what I was needing to know.
​​​​​​​
Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

No problem.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 RS with T-Tops