Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Daily driver upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Daily driver upgrade

Currently have a 305 tpi in the 91 z28 convertible. Looking for advice on an engine swap along with trans and rearend choice. Ive seen that a zz4 can go with a tpi setup but i am unsure if it would be a plug and play or let me pass smog. My other choice would be the Ls1 swap. Unsure which one i could get to be smog legal in Cali and have the better mpg. Would i be able to get a rearend on the ls swap that would match the stock length of what i have now? How about on the zz4? Would loke to retain as many parts as i can after having purchased almost all suspension upgrades except the SBCs until i know what will be doing once the engine finally throws in the towel. Would that custom rear Hawk's sells be a good choice for an LS and keep the width stock so that i can keep my wheels? If so what setup would i get for that rearend on a stock ls1?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi
Re: Daily driver upgrade

Originally Posted by 91vertZ28
Currently have a 305 tpi in the 91 z28 convertible. Looking for advice on an engine swap along with trans and rearend choice. Ive seen that a zz4 can go with a tpi setup but i am unsure if it would be a plug and play or let me pass smog. My other choice would be the Ls1 swap. Unsure which one i could get to be smog legal in Cali and have the better mpg. Would i be able to get a rearend on the ls swap that would match the stock length of what i have now? How about on the zz4? Would loke to retain as many parts as i can after having purchased almost all suspension upgrades except the SBCs until i know what will be doing once the engine finally throws in the towel. Would that custom rear Hawk's sells be a good choice for an LS and keep the width stock so that i can keep my wheels? If so what setup would i get for that rearend on a stock ls1?
Im still using my factory driveshaft from 86 with no issues. The length of the ls drivetrain is pretty much the same as the stock stuff. My car has a 5.3 ls with a t-56. I would think the hawks rear should keep the same driveshaft length. Ive had my eye on that rear for a while, Its a pretty good deal for the power it can handle.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Daily driver upgrade

Originally Posted by LsxMatt
Im still using my factory driveshaft from 86 with no issues. The length of the ls drivetrain is pretty much the same as the stock stuff. My car has a 5.3 ls with a t-56. I would think the hawks rear should keep the same driveshaft length. Ive had my eye on that rear for a while, Its a pretty good deal for the power it can handle.
so in regard to the axle, i would be fine swapping in an LS1 and trans and just wait til my rear gives out? I'd hope to keep my current wheels as well without yhem sticking out if i got the hawks or strange s60 unless its overkill .