Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

305 TPI - Vortec Replacement Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Automatic
305 TPI - Vortec Replacement Block

Good Morning everybody!

I got a phone call late last night, and after contemplating selling or parting out my car it was a relief. I have a 1986 IROC-Z and it's my dream car. I've wanted an 86 Roc since I was a kid. I love the CHMSL on the hatch of these cars, and of course what teenager doesn't want a T-Top IROC model?

Anyway, I got a phone call that my Uncle is going to give me a 305 Vortec out of a 1995 or 1996 (can't remember) Silverado. I have all the original parts of my car, but the previous owner cracked the block when they drove the car with no coolant

I just wanted to get some opinions on how difficult or easy this swap is gonna be. My Uncle is pretty certain it should be fairly plug and play (aside from Motor Mounts of course) but I can't help but think that something won't work correctly. The truck has a 4L60E and my car still has the 700R4. I'm also thinking that my TPI system won't work correctly, but then again maybe with the intake and heads on this block it'll go right on? This engine is free and I want to drive my car, I have a parts car in VA that I have held for me I just have to go get it. Eventually I'm going to a nice engine in my car.

It's not stock anyway, previous owner ruined it. So I'm going for a restomod style. I'll make it look factory but add my own modifications to it as I go. So eventually I'll go 350 TPI or LS, but for now I just want the thing to DRIVE. I don't think I can go carbureted because of my electronically controlled transmission. The Overdrive wouldn't work without my computer, but my computer won't work without the sensors on the motor, right?
Old 04-29-2018, 09:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: 305 TPI - Vortec Replacement Block

Motor mounts are the same.

If it's 95 it's TBI; NOT "Vortec".

The "Vortec" 305 is NOT the same as the Vortec 350. Not sure whether the intake ports are moved like they are on the 350; if they are, your TPI intake won't bolt up to it. "Drill bolt holes" isn't going to fix it.

Other than that, it's pretty much a direct swap. You'd just put your 86 stuff on it. If the heads have the old-style ports and bolt pattern, all you'd have to do is slot/elongate the center 2 bolt holes on each side of your existing intake manifold.