Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

PULL MOTOR AND TRANS TOGETHER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PULL MOTOR AND TRANS TOGETHER?

Ok guys, I have an 89 iroc-z with a 5.7 tpi and 700R4 trans.

I have a new 383 stroker arriving in a week and I already have a built Maddog 700r4 trans.

My question is....
can i pull the motor and trans together out the top? And can the new motor and trans go back in at the same time? Also, I have to transfer my accessory mount to the front of the new motor, so can the accessories stay on the old motor when pulled and be on the new motor before installed?

I work at a Ford service dept so we have lifts and hoist.

thanks

Last edited by Gunreaper; 12-28-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: PULL MOTOR AND TRANS TOGEATHER?

Yes,... Pull them / install them together as a unit. ( Notice how high the front must be compared to the back !?)

You don't really NEED to, but IMO: It's better to remove as many accessories from the front of the engine as possible before removing and the same holds true when re-installing. Removing the Crank Pulley will be a big help,..just gives you much more room to work with. Also wait till the engine is installed in the engine bay before installing headers. I've had pre-installed headers catch on the Motor mounts - PITA ! Again,... just easier to get the motor/tranny installed as a pair when they are as bare as possible.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PULL MOTOR AND TRANS TOGETHER?

Awsome! My boss is the service manager and he thought you could do the motor and trans at same time minus the accessories! Figured I'd find out from someone on here.

the accessories are a piece of came to remove so that works for me.

thanks for the reply!
Old 12-29-2018, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

The subject comes up often on here.

It really depends on the facilities, tools, space, etc. that you have available. It works just fine either way as far as getting the job done is concerned; it's just important to be safe and secure about it, given the situation you find yourself in.

In these cars it works best to pull the rad; remove the AC comp from the engine and the cond from the core support, and rotate them over to the side out of the way (doing it like that, you can leave the whole thing intact and not have to deal with discharging it and keeping it clean); remove the PS pump and set it off to the side; and possibly take off the water pump. That all gives you plenty of clearance in front of the motor and moves stuff that can get dinged up out of the way.

I've personally always found it easier to pull the motor by itself, but that's mostly because I've done it indoors in a space that didn't really support rolling a cherry picker around. Especially with the length of the trans attached which means you have to have an extra 6' or so of clearance either behind the car to roll it back, or in front of it to move the cherry picker around. Your situation might be entirely different though in which case it might be just fine for you to do it that way... obviously it is for John. If you work in a shop you probably have access to all the stuff you need anyway.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:37 PM
COTM Editor

Received 183 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 91/89/85/82 Z28s, 88 TA, 88/88 SC
Engine: SBC and LS variations

you can definitely do it either way. i have my own 4 post lift, gantry crane, trans lift, etc in my garage and personally i now always do them separate. the first swap i did 10 years ago was the only time i pulled them together and to me it is just much more controlled, safe, and less likely to damage anything and make a mess by pulling them separate. i think it is personal preference clearly, but i like to have control over what i am doing and since i do it the same way all the time, changing the clutch, etc is no big deal since i am use to pulling the motor / trans separate, etc and have the right tools and extensions