Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Ls swap on my camaro after 3 years need Help thank you!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Ls swap on my camaro after 3 years need Help thank you!!

Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Re: Ls swap on my camaro after 3 years need Help thank you!!

Here's the story with my camaro bought it 3 years ago when I was 14 drove the crap out of it and developed a rod knock sat till now turning 18 this year I'm going to start the ls swap 5.3 out of a silverado and 4l60e I love this car to much and would hate to see it go to scrap its my baby I'm mechanically inclined I just need tips on the ls swap on a 3rd gen appreciate the help thanks👌 (mostly concerned with wiring and keeping all original features working and bolting up trans and fuel too)

Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56

Look through my build thread and Qwktrip's (and the other dozen or so ls swap threads)

My car is 100% functional -- everything works as it should, and the only thing that doesn't look stock under the hood is the cold air intake and the radiator cover.

There is the cheap way and the expensive way... the bigger your budget the easier things will be.

Here is a a quick check list that you need to go through and make a plan.

Plan on keeping AC? if Yes do you have the budget to buy relocation brackets to put the AC up top. (or in my case just wanted the stock accessories) then you have to modify your K-member or replace it with a tublar design from either Sphon or BMR. The UMI requires AC relocation, the Sphon sits your wheels too far back. BMR (which I have) puts the engine too close to the firewall IMO.

AUTO -> Auto is much easier I did a Auto -> manual.

Cruise control? using a newer module or keeping stock thirdgen.

Gas tank? if you have TPI then it will work if you have a TBI then you need new pump. Either way you have to solve the regulator issue. That is covered alot. I used a fuel tank from a 2000 firebird but that presents issues with the fuel sending unit.

Wiring are you going to try to use the truck PCM or go after market,

Emissions ... what requirements must you meet where you live for your year car? Any chance you will ever live in CA?

The 4l60 will just require a new trans cross member everything else will work if the 4l60 is from a fbody car, if not you can use a trans cross member that has a torq arm relocation bracket. There are also adapter plates to use the 700r4 you have with the "LS" engine which could save you some money (maybe).j

What rear gear does your car have? if its the 2.77 then your leaving some acceleration on the table you will want to go to somewhere in the 3.4-3.8 range (some people go to 4.10's but IMO that puts the cruise RPM to high) this really depends on what you plan on doing with the car.

The wiring if you use aftermarket PCM is plug and play... if you use the factory PCM you can buy new stand along harnesses that will make everything easier. Hawks offers a harness service you send them your harnesses they rework it on a jig and its plug & play. Search for Pocket and read all his posts, he also does harnesses but isn't as active as he once was. The wiring is daunting but if you don't cut anything until you are ready to attach it somewhere else, learn how to read the diagrams, and have a good understanding of electrical systems it falls into place. I spent more time than I needed to fretting over it once I got into it it fell into place.

Just curious on how much you think it will cost? I'm going to go ahead and say add $1-2000 to that number... if that scares you budget wise then buy a 5.7 and bolt it in and do the LS swap in a few years. If you don't already have access to engine hoist, stand, welder, torque wrench, soldering iron, heat gun and at least an electric impact wrench add all that to your budget also. How much time do you have to work on it with Family/hobbies/work it took me 14 months to do my swap, it was running in less time but the final details will take time to work through. DO you have shop space for this long? if working in the weather or having to move things around all the time it will get old. I also slipped and turned it into a mini restoration.

Shopping list
AC lines and supplies ~$300
Modify powersteering lines ~free if your old ones are good
engine mount (k member modifications etc) ~$50-$2000 depending on direction
trans mount ~$50-$500 depending on what you do
PCM/wiring ~$700-$2000 depending on solution
Engine ~$300-~$1500 depending on where you live and mileage condition and what all comes with it
Trans (not sure on the going rate on those)

If I ever do another one I think I will use either FAST or Holly after market PCM and wiring ... just seems simpler.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512

Wiring you can do yourself free, all the diagrams are on lt1swap.com

It took me around 20 hour total to wire mine up.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:09 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro R/S
Engine: Stock 305
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: Stock

Is there anywhere you I can find step by step with reading and pictures and possibly a video on merging the Ls harness with the stock third gen harness to make the stock cluster work? It’s like it’s a secret that no one wants to share. It’s hard to believe swaps been going on this long and it’s absolutely nothing on step by step on how to. I’m thinking everybody that knows want to get paid but, I know someone is willing to help and share. It’s just me but I would.

In the mean time I’ll keep searching.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512

Originally Posted by Dfdub92
Is there anywhere you I can find step by step with reading and pictures and possibly a video on merging the Ls harness with the stock third gen harness to make the stock cluster work? It’s like it’s a secret that no one wants to share. It’s hard to believe swaps been going on this long and it’s absolutely nothing on step by step on how to. I’m thinking everybody that knows want to get paid but, I know someone is willing to help and share. It’s just me but I would.

In the mean time I’ll keep searching.
Just open the Factory Service Manual and use it to label all your thirdgen wires of interest. There probably are not very many specific thirdgen wires.
then use the lt1swap.com to match the wires that match.
any that don't match come up with your own solutions. Thats probably the hard part nobody will share.
Luckily its probably only a couple wires, like the speed for example you might need a "dakota digital box" and the same thing for the tachometer.
On the last car I did (not a thirdgen) there was only like a few wires that needed anything from the engine harness, it was cruise, a/c signal, tach, speedo, oil switch, neutral safety switch, coolant temp.
The engine will run without the chassis components hooked up, those wires are just for reporting to the chassis the things above. Like for example if you didn't connect the coolant temp or a/c or speedo it would still run the engine.