DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Thank you Craig Moates and a question for you

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: chevy 383
Transmission: tci streetfighter auto
Axle/Gears: 3.70 moser 9"
Thank you Craig Moates and a question for you

Thanks Craig for the effort producing the ALDL programs. I finally managed to get an old laptop and build a two transistor cable. I gathered my first data files and couldn't be happier to have a 'decent' tool to use. I had purchased an autoxray scanner and it only worked some of the time and has been a frustrating experience at best. I'm using your latest 8.50 version and it seems to work just fine. I have a question though. After communications are established, do you still need the 10K resistor to connector B? Is it a problem to leave it connected as you are doing the 'drive around' info gathering? I've seen some posts where it is suggested to remove it once comm is going, what is your take on the subject?

If you have a list of users I would like to be on it

glen.hunsberger@att.net

Thanks again,
Glen
Old 03-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
Glen,

The 10K resistor should only be necessary to establish communications with a 165-type ECM. Once the 8192 communications are established, the presence or absence of the resistor has no effect on performance or operation or anything. I'd say it'd be easiest to incorporate the 10K as part of your comm device and not worry about disconnecting it piecewise, but whatever your choice it should have no impact.

Hope this helps,
Craig
Old 03-06-2002, 07:29 AM

Engine: chevy 383
Transmission: tci streetfighter auto
Axle/Gears: 3.70 moser 9"
Thanks again Craig
Old 03-06-2002, 03:53 PM

The 10K resistor should only be necessary to establish communications with a 165-type ECM.
I'd like to jump in here and mention (should any other newbies like me be reading this) that the built ALDL cables, like AKM sells, already have the 10K resistor built in and do not need another resistor installed in the ALDL socket...
Old 03-08-2002, 02:41 PM

My engine always idles a few hundred rpm higher with the resister there so I remove it after making connection. I was concerned it was affecting other things.

Simon
Old 03-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: 441 SBC 12.5:1 0.680" Lift
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 TruTrac Moser 9"
You sure? On mine, the idle is higher at first, but once comm is linked, then it drops back to normal...
Old 03-08-2002, 10:06 PM

Interesting! 7747 TBI 10K built into cable
I had asked this board about the high idle and was told it was because of the aldl cable. (I had neve run the the motor with out it). I took out the cable and the idle was ok.

SO??? if the 10K is disconnected after start will it idle down to normal with the cable still connected? if so I will have to rebuild the cable.
Old 03-10-2002, 03:03 AM

Guys,

I can only speak from my experience but the idle revs climb a couple of hundred rpm with the resistor connected. What I have done is fitted a small push button momentary switch under the dash with the resistor permanently wired. When I press the switch it grounds the resistor. I keep it pressed until I establish connection.

Simon
Old 03-10-2002, 11:39 AM

ok as a admitted newbie... i have an 87 z28 250 TPI w/MAF (no other config w tpi? anyway)... i made a cable with the help of the win aldl schematic ( thanks mr joby and all others i am not aware of). i can connect using winaldl only if i put the 10K resistor across pins A-B and i have to leave them there for the win aldl software.

which brings my inspiration to contribute....i also have the factory service manuals and it says the 10k across A-B puts it in ALDL mode, which, bumps up the idle to 1000 rpm and bypasses some closed loop timers, and " some ecms will only output serial data in this mode", appears mine is?

so we should supposedly be able to remove the 10k after sync'ing? i tried mr moates's software and haven't been able to make it happy, but this is all as of yesterday.. still fiddling.

sorry if this was common knowledge and i am just rambling... anyway, i have learned so much from you all i wanted to add when i think i might actually know what i'm trying to talk about.
...over and out...
Old 03-10-2002, 12:00 PM

addendum... (i think i know what that means... :P)

anyway, just found mr moates "new software" i don't know what version i had or what planet i've been on... but the new one rocks... the biggest bummer with winaldl is the 160 baud only, refresh every ~1.6 SEC? not an issue with 8192 baud?
so if you read this mr moates... rock on! :hail: and thank you for the sweet software. i have been trying to put together some matlab files for post data processing type stuff, so i can only begin to appreciate the amount of work you have invested... blah blah blah. thanks again.

john
Old 03-10-2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by SIMON HOLTBY
Guys,

I can only speak from my experience but the idle revs climb a couple of hundred rpm with the resistor connected. What I have done is fitted a small push button momentary switch under the dash with the resistor permanently wired. When I press the switch it grounds the resistor. I keep it pressed until I establish connection.

Simon
So, I ASSume you mean the idle drops back to normal when you release the button?
I know I could try it out but I will have to tear apart my cable and it is filled with stuff and never meant to come apart.