Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

where can i get this ....??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z28
Engine: 350 L98
Transmission: T56
where can i get this ....??

i've been looking for a dual cat exhaust system

3" inlet with either dual 2.5" or 3" outlets

ive looked thru the flowmaster systems and the hooker systems seeing as these are the 2 major system to go with

unfortunately i cant find anywhere that sells the above specs for a dual cat car

i dont plan on changing from the dual seeing as i just put the cats back on the car 2 years ago

if someone could point me in the right direction as to where i would be able to find a kit that would be most appreciated
ie. summit or jegs etc.

thanks

Kyle
Old 05-16-2002, 10:32 PM

Car: 1992 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 2.73
Jeg's sells Flowmaster's part# number 389-17150 for dual cat F-bodies. It's the Force II muffler, 2.5" tips, and it runs $230. Random Technology has a system for $330 with full 3" tips. That's $330 at Thunder Racing, one of our sponsors. Those are two good choices. Flowmaster may make a American Thunder for your car, but I don't know offhand. I hope this points you in the right direction.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
Summit has a dual cat American Thunder system. It's FLO-17228, and it's on my car. Single 3" in, Dual 3" out.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:03 AM

i checked them out

hey thanks guys!!

Synapsis ... i looked up the part number and it came up with the 2.5" system
"Chevrolet/Pontiac: 1989-92 5.0L/5.7L Camaro/Pontiac, 2 1/2 in. dual exit, American Thunder, cat-back exhaust system"

Jade Grey ... do you know what "3'' SOR Exit" means?

sorry im just trying to find what im looking for.

thanks again

Kyle
Old 05-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
Summit's description of the part is wrong. If you look up that number on Flowmaster's site it's a 3" system. I was worried that I'd get a 2.5" system when I ordered it, but it's really 3".

Check out Summit's description online for their SLP-30003. It's wrong too. I think it's listed as a single cat system and it's dual cat.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:10 PM

Hey DracoZK, if I remember correctly the SOR is a single-outlet exhaust. There's not twin tailpipes off the muffler.

To be sure check Flowmaster's site. Their application charts should be correct. As said earlier, a manufacturer's website is generally better than the error-filled Jeg's/Summit mail-order catalogs.

Right now I am about to start my SLP header and Random Technology cat and cat-back project on my '92 Firebird. (I am just waiting to acquire a cat install kit and a new oxygen sensor.) I am doing it all at once since I have the stock 2.25" single converter system now.

Wish me luck and feel free to ask questions about those two products or why I chose them.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:04 AM

well first of all thanks to both you guys for your assistance

id check the flowmaster on summit again and its 339.99 + 5.00 additional shipping charge for a total of ~$345

i was in the thunderracing site looking at the Random system
that i like 3" in with dual 3" out, very nice and its 330
so in comparison to those id like the random and they are both aluminized.

what would you suggest? i live just outside of Toronto Ontario... would a stainless steel kit be better? does it make a difference which one i get since i store it in the winter?jade grey did you get you random kit from thunderracing?

ive been reading that the random kit is really nice

thanks again!!

Kyle
Old 05-18-2002, 06:19 PM

Yes I did buy the Random kit from Thunder. Since it was dropshipped from GA the shipping charge was only $20 to SC. That's a great price for two boxes weighing 60#.

The passenger side tailpipe to muffler fitment was too tight. When the pipe was cut, the wall of the tubing was flared out just a bit. A little filing solved this problem.

The slash cut tips on the R/T cat-back also needed some filing because there were some rough edges.

A drawback to the R/T is that most of the exhaust gas flows through the driver side tailpipe. This fact does not bother me as long as it flows and sounds well.

Right now after test-fitting, my SLP 30038 cat adapter is going to have to be modified to fit the 903002 R/T cat. The cat's inlet is a 3" pipe flared to about 3.25". The cat adapter's exit is about 2 7/8". (I guess not all 3" pipe is 3" pipe.) Monday I going to get info on expanding the adapter for a snug fit.

I will also call SLP and see if the 30038 fits a stock GM 3" correctly.

When I finally get this project finished, I will post pictures on this site. As of now I am working 6 days a work and can't budget a 2-3 day install.

One last thing, stainless steel is overkill on an exhaust system. They are double the price for a system that will outlive your car. SS headers are a different story. My car is over ten years old and the OEM exhaust is just now starting to rust. Most of the rust is on the cat flange and welds on the muffler. Most of the actual pipe is clean.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:47 PM

what about this ...???

hey thanks again guys for all your help

i was at one of the local exhaust shops today inquiring about my exhaust since i have a hole in it and a lost cause of a muffler

the guy/owner i was dealing with gave me a price of 440

now this includes 3" main pipe with dual 3" outlets and a ravin muffler that hooks up to my dual cats

he said that he is going to custom bend the exhaust since he couldnt find a system that he liked

oh the 440 is in CDN$ which is installed and including taxes

how this for deal wise? what do you guys think?

im thinking its a pretty good deal

take care

Kyle
Old 05-22-2002, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
how much exactly is that in US dollars
Old 05-23-2002, 12:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Black Z28 Hardtop
Axle/Gears: 2002 10 bolt w/3:23
Re: what about this ...???

Originally posted by DracoZK
hey thanks again guys for all your help

i was at one of the local exhaust shops today inquiring about my exhaust since i have a hole in it and a lost cause of a muffler

the guy/owner i was dealing with gave me a price of 440

now this includes 3" main pipe with dual 3" outlets and a ravin muffler that hooks up to my dual cats

he said that he is going to custom bend the exhaust since he couldnt find a system that he liked

oh the 440 is in CDN$ which is installed and including taxes

how this for deal wise? what do you guys think?

im thinking its a pretty good deal

take care

Kyle

Just make sure he can do mandrel bends. A lot of shops tell you they can do a super job, and maybe so on the soccer mom's minivan but, you want your system to flow well.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: TH350
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jade Grey
[B]Hey DracoZK, if I remember correctly the SOR is a single-outlet exhaust. There's not twin tailpipes off the muffler.

SOR means Single Outlet to Right.? I guess. I dont think it looks too bad myself. I have the Flowmaster 80, and it sounds great, (I'm waiting on www.fbody.com to approve of my better exhaust clip, but theres a short one in my sig.) listen to it. I had my Flowmaster 80, 3" piping, tips, and labor installed for $300.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:49 AM

cdn to us dollars

to put it simply its close to taking whatever price in us dollars and multiplying it by 1.6

that is roughly the exchange rate

plus theres my nice 15% tax up here

ok what ive done is taken 440 / 1.15 (tax) / 1.6 (exchange rate) = to give me a total of around 240 us dollars but thats my understanding of who it might work

i heard that other shops change upto and around 600 bucks for similar systems

plus this guy has a trans am type setup of camaro race car in the back of his shop
he has also done quite a few of these sort of systems as well as he was referred to by my parts manager friend of one of the GM dealerships in town, the parts manager has a custom rodded truck of some sort with a really nice system on it

so im not too worried, i havent made up my mind one way or another
but the fact that if i buy a system for wherever, i have to pay for the system, S/H, and installation for possibly something that i wont necssarily want
with this guy i'll be getting what im looking for, and for roughly the same price or cheaper then getting a system from the states

Kyle