Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Anyone run glass packs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' Camaro RS--
Engine: 305--
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73--
Anyone run glass packs?

is anyone runnign true duals with Cherrybomb glass packs?. If so can i get a sound clip. I searched but didnt find anything.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Car: '92 RS
Engine: 357ci
Transmission: G-Force t-5
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10bolt mini spool
Re: Anyone run glass packs?

As best I can tell the GMMG set up is just a glasspack with dents in the outside body that they are calling "chambers". There are some sound clips in this forum of that setup. Sounds pretty good actually. The cherry bomb setup will save you about a cool grand too.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by MrBrooks
As best I can tell the GMMG set up is just a glasspack with dents in the outside body that they are calling "chambers". There are some sound clips in this forum of that setup. Sounds pretty good actually. The cherry bomb setup will save you about a cool grand too.
cherry bopmbs you can get for what $30 each?. then take it to a muffler shop to have them fab somehtign up. but if it sounds liek crap then i wouldnt do it.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:49 PM

cherry bombs sound awesome. the best ones IMO is the thrush pack muffler is almost the same as the cherry bomb but its quiet and has a nice rumble at idle and driving around. but when you get on it people will hear you. and they are only like $25 at autozone or advanced.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LS1

Yup... Thrush Magnum .... made by Dynomax
Old 07-02-2007, 08:45 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Glass packs sound good but they flow like crap. My GTA had a glass pack on it. The muffler had a 2.5" inlet, and immediately necked down to 1 3/4" inside. Every glass pack I've looked into is like that.

$30 can get you better mufflers. Welded Thrush, Welded Summit, Force and others come to mind.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:28 AM

they might get necked down but you can still see clear from one side to the other. they are a straight through design and i like em i got em my jeep, tacoma and my buddies dodge they sound great
Old 07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Glass packs are about the worst-flowing thing you can buy. They're more restrictive than most modern STOCK mufflers.

Besides, they make a sound like a pickup truck belonging to some hilljack from the backwoods. People LAUGH at that sound when they hear it and start making "Deliverance" sounds.

Please don't do that to your car and bring shame on the rest of us that drive them.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Glass packs are about the worst-flowing thing you can buy. They're more restrictive than most modern STOCK mufflers.

Besides, they make a sound like a pickup truck belonging to some hilljack from the backwoods. People LAUGH at that sound when they hear it and start making "Deliverance" sounds.

Please don't do that to your car and bring shame on the rest of us that drive them.
most cars ive seen (not 3rd gens) didnt really sound like crap. Im looking for a sound clip with them. Right now mines 2.5 from the cat back into a VForce muffler and then duals out of that. And on my opinion it sounds ok at start up but it doesnt sound that well when you get on it or anything. I want a sound clip with the glasspacks
Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

If you run glass packs, they're going to sound like glass packs. If you've heard glass packs on any kind of vehicle, then you've heard what they'll sound like on these cars.... the packing material flopping back and forth and slapping loudly into the ends of the chamber. The shape that the sheet metal of the body above them is wrinkled into won't change that. People will still laugh and call you impolite names (hopefully not true, but unkind just the same) involving low class, rural address, education shortage, pre-manufactured relocatable housing, mother and father too closely related before they got married, etc.

Please have some respect for the rest of us that don't like to be called names like that, and don't do that to your car. Go do it to a Mustang instead.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Upon more deep investigation i have found that the chambered muffler is NOT a glasspack with dents in it. They have no packing at all--just a baffle inside a crimped"chambered" tube. http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/sounds.html
these are staight thru design and dot NOT neck down on the inside as some of the chambered muffs do. these sound KILLER.

P.S. what sofakingdom is saying is true for the most part. Glasspacks tend to sound like a log truck. the only glass pack i have found that does not shrink inside is the CHERRY BOMB brand. http://www.cherrybomb.com/sounds-front.asp there is a few sound clips for ya. If you notice all the choices for sounds on the cherry bomb site are for TRUCKS!! except a few mustangs thats as close to our cars as youre gonn get.....they sound HORRID....popping and bubbling like some LOG TRUCK!!!

Last edited by MrBrooks; 07-05-2007 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:18 AM

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Pro

I am running true dual 2.5" with 2 of the mufflers from Classic Chambered. The pipes go up over the axle, and the mufflers mount sideways - much like Willie's. I have received many compliments on the sound, but it is a very aggressive tone. The mufflers do not neck down inside in anyway.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 AM

I have not heared these in person but all the clips i have heard sound killer.

I will be going this route when I get the 444ci and 2210's in the car. I'll be running the 3inchers though.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 PM

I've never heard a glass pack muffler on a thirdgen or any car for that matter. My guess it is really "poppy, crackly, raspy, loud" at any rpm from the description of the materials. Put that on a B16A and see what is sounds like lol!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 PM

i went to the classic chamber website. then that led me to a place in Michigan that sells them. Now on that site they had power packs and power sticks. But didn't find power pack on the classic chamber website. whats the differences... Also short medium long. Which would be best to go with. And also sound clips on a 305? anyone have it because all they had was 1st and 4th gen camaros.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LS1

Alright, yeah probably 99 percent of glasspacks do sound that way, popping, crackling like crap. But it's absolute BS to say all do !!!

My Thrush one sounds mellow, little bit deeper, real nice.

As far as inside tube diameter, as long as you stay away from 2 1/4 you'll get the real thing. Mine's a 2 1/4 outside, inside tube is 2 inch. Found out the 2 1/2 and up is same inside and outside.

So those classic chambered ones don't sound mellow in any way what so ever ??
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM

All cars with glass packs do NOT sound the same. My Coronet and my Chevy truck each came with glasspacks, and they sound a hell of a lot different. Hell, my Dodge truck sounds very similer to the coronet, just a bit quieter, and its got real mufflers on it.

That said, my Chevy truck has stock manifolds, and true duals with cats and glasspacks. It doesn't sound bad to me, but it does sound like a truck. I think its a SBC thing.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1988 SC Convertible
Engine: LT-1
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi w/PBR's

I'm running a single Thrush glasspack in my I pipe about 12" behind the cat. I had the pipe Y'ed behind the axle with dual 3 1/2" x 18" tips. No raspy sound, no popping at any RPM, no droning at cruising. Very deep mellow sound. My little LO3 sounds like it's got some *****. In no way does it sound like a hill billy's old truck.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

In no way does it sound like a hill billy's old truck
That depends on who's listening and describing. I haven't heard your car; but I've heard HUNDREDS, maybe THOUSANDS, of vehicles with glass packs. And they all sound pretty much the same, regardless of the wrinkles in the body sheet metal. You can spot em a half-mile away :barf:. To disinterested 3rd parties, a vehicle with glass packs sounds like a vehicle with glass packs, period; small block, big block, Chevy, Mopar, Hupmobile, car, truck, school bus, van, whatever, no matter whether the owner is in denial about it or not. The sound is created by the construction: the properties of the thing itself guarantee absolutely that it will do what it does.

Yes, I have bought cars and IMMEDIATELY PAID MONEY to get rid of the glass packs some PO put on them.

Just MHO of course.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by FYRCHKN
I'm running a single Thrush glasspack in my I pipe about 12" behind the cat. I had the pipe Y'ed behind the axle with dual 3 1/2" x 18" tips. No raspy sound, no popping at any RPM, no droning at cruising. Very deep mellow sound. My little LO3 sounds like it's got some *****. In no way does it sound like a hill billy's old truck.

Do You have a clip?...

And also I've heard glass packs sounds plenty of different ways...Ive heard good ol hill billy trucks sound like well a hill billy...Ive heard some sound really good. I've heard a cavalier with a glass pack that makes it sound like a good ol rice..R... Sooo they don't all sound the same...Depends on how from the cat they are.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:42 PM

Car: 1990 Buick Century (pimped out
Engine: 3300
Transmission: 4 spd auto
Axle/Gears: ??????????

my 88 s10 blazer has a y pipe and a glasspack with the 4.3 v6 and it sounded crucial when I had it on the road (deer ended that) but it did indeed sound like a hillbilly truck but thats what I designed it for (i.e. jumps doughnuts, acting an *** in general while still maintaining the drivability of the truck) I would recommend them for a Z71 not for a Z28, RS, IROC-Z or any other sports car, they flow like crap..........period!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 AM

NATERMAN35"i went to the classic chamber website. then that led me to a place in Michigan that sells them. Now on that site they had power packs and power sticks. But didn't find power pack on the classic chamber website. whats the differences... Also short medium long. Which would be best to go with. And also sound clips on a 305? anyone have it because all they had was 1st and 4th gen camaros."

Those I think are the Cobra/Corvette sidepipes they are HUGE glasspacks.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 310 lb9
Transmission: SEMI STOCK 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 BOLT

my thrush was 2 1/2" inlet and 2 1/2" straight throu to the outlet and u cant tell me it doesn't flow almost 99% cuz i kno it does now i'm running a single 16" dynomax race bullet muffler 3" not sure if it's glass pack but i have no need to take off my y-pipe when im at the track anymore did i mention loud i should have just run a straight pipe.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 383 LT1
Transmission: built 700r4 and fuddle 3500stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 auburn

they actually sound really good if you "mod" them....
take a mixture of 1/2 gas 1/2 oil mix well then pour into the glasspack and roll it around... make sure the whole inside of the muffler is coated let it soak in a little then turn it on its end and let the excess drain out.
take it outside put it on the ground and throw a match in it.
all the packing material burns out and your left with a straight through pipe that has a baffel tube in it. makes a deep mellow tone at idle and cruis but really opens up when you nail it. thats an old trick from the 80s i learned from a guy that owns a muffler shop.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:48 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 T-tops
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.23

If you were to burn out the packing material, would it still muffle the noise at all? I guess what I'm asking is, would a cop give me trouble with how loud they if I'm leaving the neighborhood at midnight?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by gapimpin
they actually sound really good if you "mod" them....
take a mixture of 1/2 gas 1/2 oil mix well then pour into the glasspack and roll it around... make sure the whole inside of the muffler is coated let it soak in a little then turn it on its end and let the excess drain out.
take it outside put it on the ground and throw a match in it.
all the packing material burns out and your left with a straight through pipe that has a baffel tube in it. makes a deep mellow tone at idle and cruis but really opens up when you nail it. thats an old trick from the 80s i learned from a guy that owns a muffler shop.

Im thinking im going to need a sound clip if at all possible... Wouldn't that be the same pretty much as running straight pipes?.. Im sure the amount of baffling in them wouldnt quite them down much.. And trust me... My neighbor hates teenage boys with cars.. He called the cops on me for drving my lawn mower at 4 in the afternoon...
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM

I believe what you would have at that point is basicly an SLP loudmouth(only you didnt spend WAY to much for it). Its called a LOUDMOUTH for a reason!!!!!
Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 AM

Car: '91 camaro z/28
Engine: 350ci 5.7L
Transmission: 4spd. Auto w/overdrive 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:27

If anyone still has interest on this thread:

I just put on a single thrush 23" glass pack in place of the stock muff, no popping or crackle at any rpm, my only problem is there is a VERY loud droning in the cabin, if anyone has a fix, please tell me.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:49 AM
Supreme Member

if anyone has a fix, please tell me.
Some other kind of mufflers.

no popping or crackle at any rpm
Ahhh, but there WILL BE, sooner or later. Once the packing stuff breaks loose in there the way it's designed to do, they'll be just like all the rest. They'll make the same sounds on your car that they're legendary for on every other vehicle.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

i'm running 2, 30" glasspacks, h-pipe, and 2, 18" summit glasspacks, over the rear & out the back. never heard anybody say it sounds bad. in fact its very quiet and sleeperish. contrary to many opinions, the straight through design works great.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by redneckjoe
i'm running 2, 30" glasspacks, h-pipe, and 2, 18" summit glasspacks, over the rear & out the back. never heard anybody say it sounds bad. in fact its very quiet and sleeperish. contrary to many opinions, the straight through design works great.
Is your duel exahust custom, or a kit?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

its custom. 2 1/2" all the way back. i basically used the glasspacks because of clearance issues. i had flowmaster super 44s on, but too loud IMO, and they suck for flow. summit makes a nice glasspack. its actually spiral perforated and directional. i like my custom exhaust cause recently i had the transmission out. i built the exhaust so i didnt have to drop it.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Did you have clearance issues running duels parallel to the driveshaft?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

For anyone still looking, here is a clip of my camaro. Headers to 2.25" pipes, true dual exhaust to a pair of Thrush glasspacks mounted sideways in the stock muffler location. I know I have a short video of me driving the car as well, but can't find it right now. My YouTube username is the same as on here.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 92RS_Ttop
For anyone still looking, here is a clip of my camaro. Headers to 2.25" pipes, true dual exhaust to a pair of Thrush glasspacks mounted sideways in the stock muffler location. I know I have a short video of me driving the car as well, but can't find it right now. My YouTube username is the same as on here.

Beautiful sound, could you possibly make a video of how your exahust is set up, i can't seem to be able to fit two pipes next to the driveshaft.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:25 PM

This has my interest peeked too!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I would like to know what set up our COTM is running., looks like a nascar dump.

For the record I ran glasspacks on my 67 dodge Dart GTS dual exhaust 440 six pack , it rumbled when driving and roared when I jumped on it... Liked them.

I'm currently thinking headers to pipes bullet cats dump out the side.

Last edited by mmadden55; 07-21-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by mmadden55
I would like to know what set up our COTM is running., looks like a nascar dump.

For the record I ran glasspacks on my 67 dodge Dart GTS dual exhaust 440 six pack , it rumbled when driving and roared when I jumped on it... Liked them.

I'm currently thinking headers to pipes bullet cats dump out the side.
Did you have a interior drone while running duel glass?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by 1991camaro_z/28
Beautiful sound, could you possibly make a video of how your exahust is set up, i can't seem to be able to fit two pipes next to the driveshaft.
Thanks! I actually posted up a build thread on here when I installed it, complete with lots of pics. It follows the stock routing. I need to re-do where it goes over the axle though. The axle hits the pipes over big bumps.

Here's the link:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exha...l-exhaust.html

There's a link in the last post on the first page to a video I made showing how it was run under the car.

Last edited by 92RS_Ttop; 07-21-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 AM

Car: 1986 Iroc Z
Engine: 305 :(
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock??

if they are they better break the glass....
Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Name:  042204_183701_zpsee3a312c.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  042204_183700_zps3061b61b.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  041704_184300_zpse70fdd17.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  IMG_23561_zps438dad32.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  91.6 KB
Old 07-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Supreme Member

Name:  0325173530_01.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  0325173449_01.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  0325173710_01.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  0325173807_01.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  53.2 KB
Old 07-22-2015, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the pics. Maybe I can do duels after all.