Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Idea for fitting dual exhaust in our single exhaust tunnel.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idea for fitting dual exhaust in our single exhaust tunnel.

Now it would be nice if we could run two three inch pipes all the way back and not have that fear of speed bumps right? Well why not run the header collectors into a good 3" to 4" or 3.5" Y and run the Y into two ovaled 3" pieces of pipe. The Y would act like a crossover pipe and also help mate the two exhaust pieces. Which would now be about 4" wide and 5" tall or so, now run that down that narrow *** tunnel GM gave us and when you hit the back separate the pipes and run them to mufflers or just dump them.

Not my idea...Dad was a hotrodder too lmao.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: Idea for fitting dual exhaust in our single exhaust tunnel.

Originally Posted by F-Body Demon
Now it would be nice if we could run two three inch pipes all the way back and not have that fear of speed bumps right? Well why not run the header collectors into a good 3" to 4" or 3.5" Y and run the Y into two ovaled 3" pieces of pipe. The Y would act like a crossover pipe and also help mate the two exhaust pieces. Which would now be about 4" wide and 5" tall or so, now run that down that narrow *** tunnel GM gave us and when you hit the back separate the pipes and run them to mufflers or just dump them.

Thoughts? Opinions?
What do you need dual 3" exhaust for on a 15 second car?

-- Joe
Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS 6spd
Engine: Carbed 357c.i.
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Soon to be Strange S60

Originally Posted by anesthes

-- Joe
Because he was throwing an idea out there. I think that was slightly un warranted as a response. Coulda just said something like, "in your application you don't need it, but yes that would work, or no it wouldn't work." Just sayin, as I have no opinion at at all on as to whether or not that would work. Don't know enough about my own exhaust yet lol.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by calamitascamaro
Because he was throwing an idea out there. I think that was slightly un warranted as a response. Coulda just said something like, "in your application you don't need it, but yes that would work, or no it wouldn't work." Just sayin, as I have no opinion at at all on as to whether or not that would work. Don't know enough about my own exhaust yet lol.
Well there is just some things I don't understand why people are thinking about them. Dual 3" exhaust? A thirdgen will go 11's on a single 3"..

-- Joe
Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Not saying I don't agree with what you said about the "need" for it, but if he has some kind of viable idea, why shoot him down point blank? Hey man, your the mod not me so I'm guessing you know more about these cars than I do, but in the same respect people like me go to forums like this because there are people like you on them. Not to basically be told our idea isn't worth contemplating because you don't see it as "needed" Now as for me jacking his thread, I've said what I had to say, and I apologize for doing that here. Good luck with your idea man.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:01 PM

-- Joe
Who said it was for the GTA in my sig? What an arrogant comment.

What is wrong with you somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed lmao.

And dual exhaust sounds better, in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Who said it was for the GTA in my sig? What an arrogant comment.

What is wrong with you somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed lmao.

And dual exhaust sounds better, in my opinion.
Ahh. This new TGO generation.

Enjoy your true duals.

-- Joe
Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 383 SuperRam
Transmission: ProBuilt 700r4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

although anesthes did not give you the answer you wanted, he makes a valid point. unless you are making more than 600 horsepower to the wheels you don't need dual 3" exhaust. a single 3" exhaust is is good for 300 rwhp even though it will support more than that. most n/a small blocks in these cars don't make anymore that 450 rwhp. so if you are set on running dual exhaust then 2.5" is more than adaquit.

even if your idea was to be done, is there a machine that could mandrel bend an oval 3" pipe? if it can only be press bent then a round 2.5" mandrel pipe would be better than an oval 3" press bent pipe anyway.

dual 2.5" over the axle is simple enough, i did it on my car, and i like it, and im sure its more than i need.
|
Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

although anesthes did not give you the answer you wanted, he makes a valid point. unless you are making more than 600 horsepower to the wheels you don't need dual 3" exhaust
i would disagree. i think single 3.5 is good to 400 and over that you want single 4 or dual 3"

I've seen Lsx cars running true duals 3" over 3.5-4" singles and gaining power in the rpm range. its all in the muffler you run tho, they have to flow enough for the motor. most single 3.5" setups only flow enough to support 450-500 hp on motor which is near 400whp. 4inch covers most builds. dual 3's are alittle overkill for 400whp but helps if your over that

i know there are ppl running single 3" setups deep into the 11's but i think they are holding their combination back some. there is some to gain with a 3.5" or 4inch single. Maybe even true dual 3"

plus it does sound much better with proper mufflers

certainly wont hurt a 375-400whp car if you have alittle more flow, you dont want any restrictions as is. But there is more to just flow in exhaust design

As far as going into a y pipe and then into ovals, i dont think thats necessary. you can buy a small x pipe or mini h pipe to do the same thing in the tunnel location. you can fit dual 3" down the tunnel IF you work to tuck it up. Clearance is low but it will work. I stuffed my 6" case 4" in/out ultra flow in the tunnel area and clear good enough for a street car...its just my ypipe that doesnt clear since i have spohn crossmember and longtubes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
i would disagree. i think single 3.5 is good to 400 and over that you want single 4 or dual 3"
I ran 120mph trap speeds with single 3" exhaust, through a cat.

I've seen Lsx cars running true duals 3" over 3.5-4" singles and gaining power in the rpm range. its all in the muffler you run tho, they have to flow enough for the motor. most single 3.5" setups only flow enough to support 450-500 hp on motor which is near 400whp. 4inch covers most builds. dual 3's are alittle overkill for 400whp but helps if your over that
I think the LS1 guys like overkill.

i know there are ppl running single 3" setups deep into the 11's but i think they are holding their combination back some. there is some to gain with a 3.5" or 4inch single. Maybe even true dual 3"

plus it does sound much better with proper mufflers

certainly wont hurt a 375-400whp car if you have alittle more flow, you dont want any restrictions as is. But there is more to just flow in exhaust design

As far as going into a y pipe and then into ovals, i dont think thats necessary. you can buy a small x pipe or mini h pipe to do the same thing in the tunnel location. you can fit dual 3" down the tunnel IF you work to tuck it up. Clearance is low but it will work. I stuffed my 6" case 4" in/out ultra flow in the tunnel area and clear good enough for a street car...its just my ypipe that doesnt clear since i have spohn crossmember and longtubes
I'm gonna stop here. There is some really good software used to design exhaust systems for performance applications. I spent hundreds of hours under my thirdgen on my lift. There is not a lot you can do with the exhaust, and his idea was just plain silly. I just found it funny, that while doing a search, most of the 'true duals' threads I turned up were from guys with L03s.

For a deep 10 second track only car my opinion would be different. But we're talking street cars here.

-- Joe
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

yeah but the idea wasnt centered on a street car or race car, it just was thrown out there for any car.

i too have spent alot of hours under the car and do agree, there isnt much to do and his idea isnt the best, but there are ways to get it to work. true duals have been done and its possible but agreed, most cases wont need it

When i do the T56 swap with better crossmember for clearance i'll probly be converting to true duals since its easier to do with T56 and non spohn crossmember but we will see when that time comes. I like my setup but want more clearance
Old 07-29-2008, 02:34 AM

Car: 88 Formula
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Thoughts? Opinions?
It's an idea that has merit and is worth discussion. A quick google search turned up this-

http://www.boyceindustries.com/oval-...omponents.html

Lots of sizes of oval tubing and the price isn't too bad either. I think that for a lot of the combinations that people here have some oval section tubing could be a benefit even with conventional single pipe systems. A lot of the reason that many of these cars don't run so well is because the exhaust simply doesn't have enough volume to do the job without restricting the power output.

Anesthes- If you pulled 120mph with a single 3" system good for you, but if you had a bigger exhaust system you would have gone faster, and you're not the only person on here at that power level. FBD presented an original idea, and good "out of the box" thinking that could be useful to a lot of us even if "true duals" are a pet peeve of yours. Moderator or not, no need to be a ****. Exhaust improvements are still pretty cheap horsepower all things considered, especially on our cars where the exhaust is such a problem.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears

Well there is just some things I don't understand why people are thinking about them. Dual 3" exhaust? A thirdgen will go 11's on a single 3"..

-- Joe
Open it up to a dual setup and you'll go quicker. Single 3 inch was way restrictive on my car.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 AM

Now the creative juices are flowing lol. Do you have any idea why the single 3" was noticably more restrictive? Was it the way it was manufactured? The degree of the bends? Something had to make it be that way right? Or was it just that it was a single 3" as opposed to a dual 3".
Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by EvilCartman
Open it up to a dual setup and you'll go quicker. Single 3 inch was way restrictive on my car.
I dunno. I have not had a fbody in a few years. vette has dual 2.75", but that is factory for '92-96.

-- Joe
Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

were you boosted or sprayed on that setup? blown motors seem to not mind smaller exhausts. I know i've been told by a guy on this forum he saw little gain changing out his 3" single on his procharged setup making near 600whp. forget what he went to, but it didnt help as much as alot of ppl would have expected.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

were you boosted or sprayed on that setup? blown motors seem to not mind smaller exhausts. I know i've been told by a guy on this forum he saw little gain changing out his 3" single on his procharged setup making near 600whp. forget what he went to, but it didnt help as much as alot of ppl would have expected.
Supercharged.

-- Joe