Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

removing old ex manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 formula
removing old ex manifolds

Any suggestions for removing the old bolts holding on the original ex manifolds? Bought my self a set of hooker headers because all the bolts broke off when removing the y pipe. Don't wanna go through the same thing when removing the manifolds from the heads.

Any secret tips to not snapping any? Hot? cold? cross everything you got?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Re: removing old ex manifolds

I never had too much trouble taking out exhaust manifold bolts, but here's one tip. Use a good quality box end wrench or 6 point socket. You want to get as much surface area grip as you can. You can also try to spray some penetrating oil between the manifold and block and let it soak prior to applying the wrench.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 AM

Car: 1983 Recaro Trans Am
Engine: LU5 5.0
Transmission: non WC T5

Try to heat around the bolt (not the bolt itself) before removing them to expand the metal around it. you could also try running the engine before hand and warm it up. That way has work for me but try not burn yourself on the hot manifold it sucks doing it that way in cramped space to. If u do end up breaking the bolts u can get a stud remover if the bolt isn't snapped off flush to the cylinder head and if that happens u can try to take a small drill bit and drill a small hole in the center of the broken bolt and use an Easy-out. worse thing that can happen is u have to drill and tap the hole again
Hope this helps good luck
Old 08-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Definitely spray penetrating oil like mentioned above. Not all penetrating oils are alike. PB Blaster is one of the best and if you're going to spray them than spend the $4.00 it will cost you. To get the best results spray them a couple times over a period of a few hours. Letting it set overnight is best.
You should be able to find it at any autoparts store .I think I have even seen it at Walmart.

Also look closely at the bolts because if I remember correctly there was a washer with a tab that has been installed under one of the bolts on mine to keep it from backing out. After installing the bolt the tab is bent up and and is laying against the side of the bolt. Just bend the tab back down and remove the bolt.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 08-02-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

KROIL. Some of the best stuff there is. Spray everything you can the night before and let it soak. Then do it again in the morning and right before you work on it. Then a good 6 pt is a must.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

try to put steady pressure on the bolts- it's the quick jerking motion that breaks them... also, don't sweat it too much if you break off the rear most bolt on the passenger side- odds are pretty good that the headers don't use that hole but rather the one next to it right by the exhaust port.

if you do break them and you are lucky enough to have some of the bolt sticking out of the head, you can get them out of the head with a pipe wrench, some heat, and some PB Blaster..
Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 AM

Car: 89 formula

So if heat gets out the broken ones, would it make sense to heat them before they break? Don't know it heating just the manifold would help would it as I would think the bolts are stuck in the head not the manifold?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 416 headed LG4 (i think)
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, unknown ratio

Metal expands when heated. So you would want to heat the head, and not the bolt. Heating the manifold will accomplish nothing.