Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Light grey/white exhaust coming from exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light grey/white exhaust coming from exhaust manifold?

Hey, I have an 86 firebird trans am with a carb 305. I started the car up for the first time since December and there has been a light grey/whitish smoke coming from the exhaust manifold or just right under it on the driver's side. The exhaust only really comes when I rev up the car or builds up when I drive (only could really go up and down my driveway cause I don't have insurance on it currently but drive way is decently long) seems like when I let it idle little to no smoke comes out. Any ideas what it could be? Dark out now but will take a better look tomorrow in the light, cheers!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 z28 H.O.
Engine: L69
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Light grey/white exhaust coming from exhaust manifold?

Check your valve cover gaskets. When I got my third gen, they were toast and apparently had been leaking on the manifolds and down the back of the block and onto, for lack of a better term, the stock 'y-pipe'. If you can smell the smoke that will help determine what is causing it. Sweet would be coolant, plastic/rubber would be oil (or possibly some wires sitting on the manifold). I'd put money on the leaky valve covers though. Mine was TERRIBLE when I got it, thought I was going to burn the house down.