Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

replacement cats for the dual cat system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
replacement cats for the dual cat system?

It seems that one cat is shot from my dual-cat-system.
Anybody can recommend a good replacement cat-converter? Doesn't have to be Cali-legal neither race-cat.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 L-Slip w/ discs
Re: replacement cats for the dual cat system?

Ugh, this is the bane of my existence right now on my car. I have the same dual cat setup on my '92 and it's a pill. I had rattles with the original so I tried to get a replacement set, but most suppliers locally (Ontario, Canada) wanted over a grand for the stock style and that was even if they could get them. I ended up getting a used set off another car, but they wouldn't line up properly when I installed them so now they hang about three inches too low, I couldn't switch back to my old ones because they were too damaged coming out so I had to make do. Can barely make it over a speed bump, let alone get it on a hoist now. And of course they're rattling again.

I tried to get the Magnaflow y pipe to just eliminate the troublesome buggers but that's not available anymore. Some places like Summit still list it, but they aren't able to get it. The Walker number for the cat system is 16101 just in case you want to try your luck.

The car is coming off the road this summer and an engine swap is planned soon anyways, so I'm just living with it as is for now.