Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

made this today

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 95 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
made this today

I wanted to have a way to work on PCM's without having them in the car. I plug this into the PCM, give it 110 volts (through a UPS if I'm flashing) and hook it up to the serial port on my computer. It will work with OBD-I and OBD-II.

I have everything I need for 94 and 95 OBD-I PCM's, I'm working on getting some software to work on OBD-II. If anyone needs VATS removed or anything like that just PM me.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
Chris your skills continue to amaze me.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:40 AM

having no money make me creative
Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
Hah beat me to it

Though I dont see the amazing skills in a box with a few power wires, a couple grounds, a few wires for the aldl port and a dc inverter.

Good job though, looks nice.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Z28*****
Though I dont see the amazing skills in a box with a few power wires, a couple grounds, a few wires for the aldl port and a dc inverter.

I didn't say the box itself was amazing, I was speaking more to his seemingly never ending creativity and talent.

Although the box does look awesome.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:19 PM

The box has a home made interface circuit inside and I built the whole thing for about $10 out of some junk I had laying around, that's pretty amazing. What's really amazing is the logo!

TexasLT1, you're pretty good with a wrench yourself

Last edited by SERPENT99; 07-06-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: Magnacharged LS1
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 4:11's
Hah beat me to it

Put up or shut up tough guy

Good job Serpent99
Old 07-06-2005, 05:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Awesome... just needs paint
Old 07-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 406TPI
Put up or shut up tough guy

Good job Serpent99
Haha put up or shut up, woooo a box with a small handful of wires, and a power inverter.

Man tough job.

Moron
Old 07-06-2005, 07:04 PM

Car: '84 Z28 & '73 camaro LT
Engine: 1960 283, eaton m112 blower
Transmission: none at present, will be manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1 lsd
Speaking or morons.....

Last edited by Guss_B; 07-06-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 PM

I like it here. I like to help out the people here. I like it when they help me. Sometimes the people here don't have the answer I need but they'll still encourage me to keep trying until me or someone else here figures it out. Soon I learned that the support and motivation that makes me keep going and figure it out myself is more valuable to me than having the answers just handed to me.

TexasLT1 as well as many others here have been very helpful to me, my present car is my first thirdgen and with their help I made myself a nice ride for very little money. Their support and encouragement is very valuable to me. So basically Z28*****, you're f#@king with something that's very valuable to me. Is there a reason for this? Now, why don't you just stop screwing with what's valuable to me and think about what I said here. It's no fun having a nice thirdgen when all the other thirdgen owners don't want to be around you.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

Wow thats a lot of crying. Maybe you need a kleenex ?

When I came to this site there was NO info on swapping your precious LT1 into a thirdgen, there was one other thirdgen on the net that could be found and the owner was less than helpful (LT1Powered85Z) aka Eric. Shortly after I got started with the swap there was one other who started working on it (matt89rs), the others followed after, so I'd have to bet chances are a lot of the info you got on your swap, came from things I did and tried, thank you so much for your appreciation. ***.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:47 PM

I don't know about that dude. I read some of your posts and you really don't have a hell of a lot to show for yourself. It looks like you now how to do all the basic bolt on stuff and you're familiar with the popular engine swaps, but I really couldn't find anything from you that reflects any innovative thinking or fabrication skills. It seems like anything you've done was done already by many many others the same way.

If you did contribute to my project I'm sorry but I don't really rember that at all. It's funny I clearly remember texasLT1 and some others helping me but not you or anything that could be traced to you.

Ever respline an axle, narrow a rear or back half a car?

Can you build a killer turbo 400 or set up a ring and pinion?

Now that I think about it, I'm positive you really don't have anything that I could ever need, want, use or bother with.

Who $h!t in your cornflakes anyway?

Why am I even responding to you?

Why don't you just get out of here and go pi$$ on somone elses parade, I'm too busy to deal with your crap.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

If you did enough research, TexasLT1 helping you, and the "others" would *probably* be traced back to me, but hey I dont care. Go build yourself some turbo 400's and backhalf your car. Narrow the rear while your at it, cause in none of these cases would I envy you, since I definetly done want / need to backhalf my car, I definetly dont need a narrower axle, nor will I, and I damn sure aint getting rid of my T56 for a TH400.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:18 AM

You're right, I stand corrected, a while a go you tried to help me by calling my VSS sensor a hack job. Hack job or not, it was cheap, and it works great. I could have spent a few hundred $ to solve the problem and I guess it wouldn't be a hack job but the performance would be exactly the same. If it's cheaper and it performs the same, I'll take it, I'm not going to pass a good deal up just because you thin it's a hack job.

Ever set up a ring and pinion? How about making suspension components? How about building a frame jig and doing a full tube frame car?

Never trade your T56 for a TH400? Just make sure you don't make enough horsepower to break a T56 and need a TH400.

I don't need you to envy me, I'm just letting you have enough rope to hang yourself in front of all these people.

Stay on the porch and leave the big dogs alone.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by SERPENT99
You're right, I stand corrected, a while a go you tried to help me by calling my VSS sensor a hack job. Hack job or not, it was cheap, and it works great. I could have spent a few hundred $ to solve the problem and I guess it wouldn't be a hack job but the performance would be exactly the same. If it's cheaper and it performs the same, I'll take it, I'm not going to pass a good deal up just because you thin it's a hack job.

Ever set up a ring and pinion? How about making suspension components? How about building a frame jig and doing a full tube frame car?

Never trade your T56 for a TH400? Just make sure you don't make enough horsepower to break a T56 and need a TH400.

I don't need you to envy me, I'm just letting you have enough rope to hang yourself in front of all these people.

Stay on the porch and leave the big dogs alone.
The way you did the VSS was a hack job, still is, whether you want to admit it or not.

Yeah I really better worry about my T56, cause its not like they've been used in 9 second heavier than a thirdgen boat vehicles like the 4th gen f body. I mean what in the world am I thinking.

Ohh I better get to making some suspension components, cause i've got nothing but time, and spending a bunch of time making some, when I can simply order them, is a MUCH MUCH better idea. Forget anything else important, I need to be like Serpent99 and come up with some free time to make suspension parts.

Whats funny is the rope your using to hang yourself by getting sooo worked up about someone not being unbelievably impressed and bowing to your little inverter with a connector.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:27 AM

Car: VIN=85 T/A, CAR=82/3 T/A gfx, go figure. She's a T/A anyway!
Engine: 5.0, Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
Transmission: THM350 ??
eRM.... Cool logo on the box I don't know what it does, and I don't need one for my 'Bird.

However, I guess it's a male thing, especially with car communities, that once in a while a pissing contest happens, even over the small stuff.

Maybe it would have been better if Serpent had posted a parts list for his creation to preclude someone from jumping in and saying its nothing special? OK so maybe it is nothing special, but it looks like a professionally finished "nothing special"

Chill out,

Mark.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Difflock
eRM.... Cool logo on the box I don't know what it does, and I don't need one for my 'Bird.

However, I guess it's a male thing, especially with car communities, that once in a while a pissing contest happens, even over the small stuff.

Maybe it would have been better if Serpent had posted a parts list for his creation to preclude someone from jumping in and saying its nothing special? OK so maybe it is nothing special, but it looks like a professionally finished "nothing special"

Chill out,

Mark.
I was just amazed someone posts such gratification for a very simple device, was no need for a "pissing contest"
Old 07-07-2005, 05:32 AM

Car: VIN=85 T/A, CAR=82/3 T/A gfx, go figure. She's a T/A anyway!
Engine: 5.0, Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
Transmission: THM350 ??
Fair point, you got me on that one
Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

If you did enough research, TexasLT1 helping you, and the "others" would *probably* be traced back to me, but hey I dont care. Go build yourself some turbo 400's and backhalf your car. Narrow the rear while your at it, cause in none of these cases would I envy you, since I definetly done want / need to backhalf my car, I definetly dont need a narrower axle, nor will I, and I damn sure aint getting rid of my T56 for a TH400.

first you were just being a pain in the ***, now you are straight up full of ****. do some searches on LT1 swaps. I DID MINE BEFORE YOU SMART GUY!. I sure as hell didn't come to you begging for information. In fact, I had my swap 99% finished and driving before I even came on the board to ask for information. So my helping Chris being traced back to you? Nice try ****er. Don't even think about trying to claim someone elses hard work as your own.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by TexasLT1
first you were just being a pain in the ***, now you are straight up full of ****. do some searches on LT1 swaps. I DID MINE BEFORE YOU SMART GUY!. I sure as hell didn't come to you begging for information. In fact, I had my swap 99% finished and driving before I even came on the board to ask for information. So my helping Chris being traced back to you? Nice try ****er. Don't even think about trying to claim someone elses hard work as your own.
Claim your hard work as mine ? Hahahaha, yeah, i'm very sure I didnt get any diagrams for the swap from you, i've had the so called "painless" harness, done the swap in several different cars and 3 different transmission versions. My money time and effort is mine to claim, not your so called "hard work"

Last edited by Z28ricer; 07-07-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:06 AM

oh my poor poor Z28*****. So angry and confused. Even your chosen forum name exemplifies your confusion. Z28's and ricers are natural enemies. Are you with the ricers or are you with the faster american iron?

I don't want anyone to be like me, and I sure as hell am not trying to impress you, you confused yourself about that one too. There is one area where I think people should be like me, I don't take any s*** from angry and confused people, no one with any self respect should do that. And I don't call people "***" or "moron"

If you can't come up with an original solution and design and fabricate things then you're absolutely right, you need to go buy your stuff. In the time it takes you to work for your money and go buy your part I'll have mine done already. And what I come up with will probably be better than what you will buy as most of the over the counter stuff is compromised in the performance area to make it user friendly and ease installation.

About the VSS- It was a prototype just like a lot of other parts I make, if it gives me problems then I'll change the design. What's important is this design gave me a working VSS for very little time and money, and if I change to a different design then it's little time and money lost. It would be a shame to spend all that money on an over the counter bolt on part that people like you are limited to only to find I didn't like the 4L60E. That VSS got me to the point where I could explore the potential of that transmission much faster and cheaper than a costly over the counter solution would have gave me.

Look at it this way- Have you ever seen a prototype manifold? Some very successful racing teams have made some prototype manifolds that were an ugly mass of epoxy, fiberglass and aluminum. Based on your mentality, that manifold would be a hack job. Call it what you want, but that "hack job" was in the dyno cell and got them the information they needed much faster and cheaper than making a manifold all nice and pretty that would earn your approval.

About the interface box- For those who were wondering, I made it so I could take some of these PCM's I have here and power them up on the bench, and then work on the program. I used to have to install the PCM in my car and hook the laptop up to the diagnostic port to be able to get to the program. It's much easier to sit at my desk in the house with the AC on and load the program into the PCM. Then when I go to the drag strip, I can try different programs by just swapping the PCM out between rounds which is much faster and safer than reprogramming the PCM between rounds. The reason it's safer is if anything happens while the PCM is being programmed it will corrupt the data and then you can't do anything with the PCM but open it up and take a soldering iron to it. If your laptop battery or your car battery go flat during the program download you're screwed. I'm downloading the program at home with both the computer and the PCM getting their power from the wall outlet through an uninterruptible power supply which is a hell of a lot safer. And I always flash from DOS so windows doesn't have a chance to screw me during the download.

Another reason I wanted to be able to mess with the PCM in the house is I'm experimenting with some of the features of the different programs available for them and the different options these programs support. Instead of taking the connectors apart in my car to connect wires to the different inputs and outputs I can do this in the house on the bench which is a hell of a lot easier. Right now I'm trying to find a program that will support the dual mode transmission capabilities so I can have a normal/performance mode switch that came in the later model firebirds. Another project is to expand on the data logging capabilities- for example, there's a pressure sensor on the AC line that can be read while the data logging is active. Maybe I could use that input to measure fuel pressure or anything else that I want to look at during a run.

Anyway, I'm sure anyone can see how that simple box opens up a lot of opportunities to learn about my car and help enhance its performance. As for what's in the box, ***** pointed out most of the ingredients but he left out the circuit board I put together that interfaces the RS232 from the laptop to the data bus in the PCM. I could have bought an interface but the available interfaces are more costly and they have internal circuitry to supply the interface with 5 volts. The power supply I used already produced 5 volts and after removing that internal 5 volt supply from the schematic and cleaning up the remaining circuitry a little I was able to made my own interface with very little time and money.

Another thing about hack jobs- Why on earth would you spend money on a painless harness?, to me that's a hack job. You're buying connectors that you could have probably gotten for free and adding wires to a car that you probably already have. Just draping crap on top of more crap, then you end up with this-

That my friend is a fire hazard and what I consider a hack job.

Now isn't this much nicer?-

That's the same engine compartment 99% wired. This one originaly had an Accel harness, I ended up stripping it for a few connectors and throwing out all the overly long extra universal fit wiring that makes it easier for someone like you to install it.

Now lets talk about TexasLT1, and while we're at it Pasky, 89 Iroc Z, and some others here. If any of these people asked me for anything I would just give it to them without question for free. I know they wouldn't ask unless that really needed it and I know they wouldn't take advantage of me. And they know it works both ways. They don't compete with me, they just want to work together with me to make this whole thirdgen experience an enjoyable one. They're just really good people who know what friendship and respect means.

As for you Mr.. *****- It seems you like to get your car done by mostly buying parts and paying others to do the work. You really bought in to the over the counter performance parts market. A good example is sub frame connectors. The best is to weld them in, if you're going to break out the welder you might as well just go ahead and make your own sub frame connectors, and they'll be exactly what you want instead of what Spoon thinks you want and save a lot of money.

It must be frustrating to be at the mercy of whatever mechanic you pay and to be limited by whatever parts you can buy. Then someone like me comes along and helps people to depend less on the aftermarket industry and the mechanics and do the work themselves. This means less people will be supporting the mechanics and the performance parts market that you depend on and I think that really bothers you.

Maybe you have a business making money on the bolt on parts and I'm a threat to that... Well, that's just too f'n bad, you should have been working to collect more skills like welding and fabricating, then you could offer your customers frame connectors that you designed that are better and with a higher profit margin. Why don't you stop putting down others and take a look at what they have to offer. Work with us and learn to free yourself from having to depend on anyone to make your thirdgen exactly the way you want it and different from what everyone else has. You're denying yourself the opportunity to become a true hot rodder.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:18 AM

almost forgot- this is the fabrication forum, how about showing us some of your fabications?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:56 AM
Supreme Member

Please keep in mind this isnt meant to be insulting, however correct quite a bit that was untrue in your above post.

Your post is quite mis-informed, and you seem to have quite an issue with realizing when an aftermarket vendor can make a product better than you can fabricate at home.

First off the case of subframes, sure you could just stuff some square stock up along the rocker, and weld it there and call it a day, however spohns subframes, well the passenger side is / are bent to conform to the floor pan, and fit very well, offer a much better appearance to any set i've seen anyone "fabricate" and weigh less to boot.

The second case will be subframes again, the alston racing subframes that were installed on my 86' Z that was my first LT1 swap car, they are mandrel bent on both sides with cups to wrap around the frame rails and weld up. Sorry dont have a mandrel bender in the corner of the shop, not just gonna "whip" those right up.

The "painless" harness is no different than using a factory LT1 harness with the exception of it missing the actual connectors where it plugs into a 4th gen, and no a/c wiring. My reason for using it WAAAAY back then was I had no harness with mine, and diagrams were scarce back then also. I also started the swap using a T5 and there is / was no available VSS to output the high speed signal of a newer setup but the 92/93 setup would supposedly take a readily available 4 pulse vss to thread right onto my cable driven T5 output. And I did that swap in my driveway with a small box of tools about 16" long 7" wide and 3" deep.

I've since done the swap in quite a few thirdgens, and each of them has re used a factory harness, so I know it isnt much different than a "painless" harness. Thus why I always put the "" around painless when I mention them, since it didnt help anything over what a stock harness would have. I had also rewired that entire car with one of their chassis harnesses, definetly a bit of "fabrication" involved in that.

Again on your subject of if you didnt make it yourself you know nothing about anything and suck cause you bought it from someone. Most people fail to realize that even if they did the work themself it may be fun to call it "free" but your time has to be taken into account along with the materials to make said part. In most cases for someone to make a quality part like those available their time along with the cost of materials would prove that they put more in than just buying the ready part, given a reasonable dollar amount on your own labor.

As far as a nice wiring harness for the engine bay, im guessing you missed my post in the LTx LSx swap board, I am working on sourcing the pins / connectors to make 1 piece drop in plug and play LTx LSx and other various harnesses for thirdgens. Not to mention your pictures of someones failed wiring attempts at a 4th gen, dont seem to have much towards a thirdgen LT1 swap, especially proving the "painless" harness would cause more of a mess, when in fact its about the same thing as reusing a stock 4th gen LT1 harness, which im very sure most of us here did.

The VSS I consider a hack because I dont see jb weld as a reasonable way of putting something together that I would want to drive, reliably and safely. However if you had welded up the housing instead of the jb weld and machined it, that would have been impressive.

On the VSS subject, since you have the tools to machine these parts, and although you like to bash at me because I am not machining parts on my imaginary mill. I would like to suggest an idea for you to help others on the subject. The VSS from a 4L60E will drop right in the place of the unit in a 700R4. However the gear seems to be non removable from the 4L60E output shaft, if you were able to produce a machined gear which would seat on the shaft of the 700R4 like stock, and have the 40 tooth count like the 60E, or even 17 count like the T56, which would probably be a bit easier. That im sure would sell to those wanting to use a 700R4 behind an LT1 with no problems in an electric VSS vehicle.

As for my chosen forum name, it was originally Z28racer, some buddys in the CZ28 chat would always refer to me as my current name, poking fun at the 120 sq ft of dynamat xtreme, full panel of autometer ultra lite gauges, and 1600W worth of stereo equipment. I thought it was amusing and just eventually switched the name all together.

As far as you implying some "mechanic" does my work, you couldnt be further from the truth, just because someone doesnt fabricate their own parts means they pay someone to build their car ? Thats quite funny, and definetly an ASSumption. If I spent a bunch of time working on fabricating parts, that I dont have the tools to make a part half as nice as I can purchase, not only would I have parts that I wouldnt be happy with, I wouldnt have time to work on my car / cars in the first place. Heck I dont have time to work on my car as it is, i've usually got some friend or family member that needs help with their vehicle, and other things come before mine, sad but true. The *ONLY* time i've ever paid someone to work on one of my vehicles was when I had a crack in the exhaust pipe on my CRX and I paid to get it welded up, didnt have a welder at the time.

Again on the subject of how you think I pay someone to do my work. I've done the swap on the 86' Z28 I owned, an 88 Camaro, a 92 RS for my X gf which is currently daily driven here in tampa, and another customer with a 92 RS, the 88 i had my parts in is now a car im building for a customer, and doing the swap all over again as my parts were sold off when I traded the car for my Heritage Edition before I bought it back. I've done the swap with a 700R4, 4L60E, and T56 amongst those cars. Done two full paintjobs on thirdgens, and a lot of other little work. I believe 5 90-92 camaro dash swaps into pre 90 camaros. TBI TPI and MPFI V6 swaps.

Please dont confuse me for someone who has others do his work just because I dont have the time nor the tools to fabricate better parts than those available for me to purchase.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
wow, this threads full of a whole lot of nothing... atleast after about this post:

Hah beat me to it

i agree... its 100% simple.

like any good idea.

the circuits themselves arnt very impressive... but the finish product is useful, simple, and looks professional... and because of that, id say he did a good job, and go about my way.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:49 PM

I guess what I'm trying to say is I just don't like it when a know it all pup wanders in where the big dogs are hanging out and takes a **** on the carpet.

As far as fabricating goes, all the fast and show winning people fabricate as much as possible because they know most of the stuff they can buy is a compromise. There aren't many store bought parts can perform as well as something that was designed and purpose built for a specific application.

If fabricating sucks so bad, then where the hell am I going to find over the counter motor mounts to put this 700 horsepower gas turbine that I have in a car? The mounts that came with it only fit a helicopter. I looked in the spoon catalog and they didn't have anything. Maybe if we get a group buy together they'll make some for me that don't suck.

What you want out of your thirdgen is a lot different than what I want, that doesn't make either one of us wrong, but being disrespectful and thinking you can judge anyone here is completely out of line.

Now can you just go away and not come back until you're house broken? If you think fabricating sucks then why are you in here?

I'll let you have the last word.

Last edited by SERPENT99; 07-08-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi
z28*****... you're a flaming moron, chill out, take your panties out of your a$$ and sit the **** down. You are not g0d almighty of 3rd gen land. In fact, you seem like a stupid little child that got ahold of his mom's computer.

That's all I have to say on that.

Nice job on the box serpent, simple, but useful.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by urbanhunter44
z28*****... you're a flaming moron, chill out, take your panties out of your a$$ and sit the **** down. You are not g0d almighty of 3rd gen land. In fact, you seem like a stupid little child that got ahold of his mom's computer.

That's all I have to say on that.

Nice job on the box serpent, simple, but useful.
If you didnt sound like such an imbecile, i'd bother to come up with something good.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:22 AM

Car: 92' RS
Engine: 357
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Nice job serpent. Although i dont really know what it is. But great job man.

Z28....man you are a whiner
Old 07-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Bri3212
Nice job serpent. Although i dont really know what it is. But great job man.

Z28....man you are a whiner
Im a whiner, right, I post that there wasnt much to be super gratifying the building of the box, a few idiots claim they know all and have done all, claim I pay someone to do my work, I say thats incorrect. And im now a whiner, you've got to be retarded.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 PM

Car: 83 fully modified trans am
Engine: 454
Transmission: 5speed
meh i agree with serpent...id rather fabricate something for my car because id take pride in knowing that i built it and it would be oe of a kind, even if my stuff is a peice of crap, and that knowledge might be useful to someone else who would rather fabricate than try to build a car out of a box. yeah it might save time but who actually cares how much time they put into a work in progress. not to mention fabricating parts is just fun.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Z28, you're the kind of person that I take time out of my day to avoid. You really are. Do lots of people avoid you? Do you not have many friends? Do the friends that you do have, constantly 'ditch' you? Yeah, I thought so.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
Z28 its funny because you said you dont even have enough time to work on your own car. But i really cant imagine how much time youve spent replying to this post with nothing that was constructive or useful to anyone in any way. Go work on your car man.

And serpent to say you can take some boxed steel and make sfc's or for that matter any component better then spohn is just plain ignorant. All the power to you for doing it, i know someone that was building a custom 4 link into a 4th gen. Nothing wrong with building your own stuff, but there will still be better products on the market, that are custom designed for a third gen.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 19doug90
Nothing wrong with building your own stuff, but there will still be better products on the market, that are custom designed for a third gen.

I agreed with everything you said up till this point. While I do agree that all of Spohn's parts are of very high quality and very good construction, that doesn't mean that someone else couldn't build something better. When you buy parts from a company you buy their designs. When you make your own parts, you can build whatever you want however you want, its up to your imagination for the most part. Yeah sometimes there are parts that can only be built one way, but there is almost always something different you can incorporate when you build things on your own.

I am like Serpent in that I love building my own parts because I know the quality of work that goes into them and I can build them however I like. Sure I might borrow ideas from people like Spohn, but when I build my own parts, I have a greater sense of accomplishment knowing that everything I did was my own design and hard work, not to mention I can usually get it done faster than ordering it from a company by the time I wait for it to get shipped to me.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:27 AM

And serpent to say you can take some boxed steel and make sfc's or for that matter any component better then spohn is just plain ignorant.
Ignorant? Why is that? Tell me why I can't build something better then Spohns stuff? To answer this, you first have to understand what "better" means. In addition to reinforcing the bottom of the car, Spohns stuff is designed to fit as many thirdgens as possible, they're designed to be mass produced, they're designed to be economical and they're designed to be easy to install. Each point in it's design parameters compromises the other points. If I were to try to design a subframe connector with all of the above design parameters then it would be difficult to beat Spohns design.

The difference is I'm not designing them for the same purpose that Spohn is designing them for. I don't care if my design fits other thirdgens, I don't care if they're hard to install, and I don't care about the cost. I just want maximum performance. My connectors were a bitch to install, but they have a larger cross section and they are sectioned into the front mount of the rear springs, they're sectioned into the rear floor and they're sectioned directly into the front subframe. They tie into many more parts of the car than Spohns connectors do. If we're talking about a broad range of compatibility, ease of manufacture, and ease of installation then my connectors truly suck. If we're talking about performance, my connectors kick the **** out of Spohns.

Now you tell me where I'm wrong. Is Spohn using some kind of metal to build their stuff that I'm not allowed to have? Do you think Spohn has NASA helping design his stuff? Don't you realize most of the aftermarket stuff is mass produced and assembled by unskilled labor? What the hell are you thinking? Do you nay sayers fabricate anything yourself?

I made the adapter to connect the transfer case to the turbo 400 in my Jeep. When it comes to performance, my adapter is way superior to anything available on the market because it's smaller and stronger, but it's a little harder to install. I can install it with no problem so for me it's the best adapter available. For someone else it may be too complicated so it would suck for them. You guys don't know **** and it shows with the generalized statements you're throwing out.

Puppy who craps on the carpet is singing the same song as you but then he turns around and says he's going to build a better wiring harness than the one Painless offers. Hypocrite.

Last edited by SERPENT99; 07-11-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by SERPENT99
[B
Puppy who craps on the carpet is singing the same song as you but then he turns around and says he's going to build a better wiring harness than the one Painless offers. Hypocrite. [/B]
Up till now I was going to leave you and your circle jerk of idiot buddys in here to play with yourselves in peace.

If you think that stock LT1 harness copy that "painless" offers will come anywhere close to what I am working on as far as use in a thirdgen, you are more ignorant than I had imagined at all.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:51 AM

Car: 83 fully modified trans am
Engine: 454
Transmission: 5speed
one question...who cares? if some one can make thier own part more power to them, if they'd rather spend the money and buy the part...whatever works
Old 07-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Up till now I was going to leave you and your circle jerk of idiot buddys in here to play with yourselves in peace.

If you think that stock LT1 harness copy that "painless" offers will come anywhere close to what I am working on as far as use in a thirdgen, you are more ignorant than I had imagined at all.

if you think any of us that have made harnesses before will be impressed by a harness of anykind, you're pretty ignorant as well... lol

the damn box above is more impressive then a harness.. a harness is just wires with plugs.. heck, if i drew out the diagram, and spent a hour teaching, i could teach my little sister to make one.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:55 PM

Someone leave the door open? Get that mutt out of here before he craps on the carpet again. That little leg humping tail chaser needs to be on a leash. Need to get him one of those collars that shocks him whenever he starts barking.

I'll make all kinds of brackets and stuff and they come out great, making stuff is a great thing but I would never try to make a crankshaft. Just because it wouldn't be a good idea to try to make a crankshaft doesn't mean fabricating is useless in general.

I don't think Spohn is making their frame connectors using secret alien technology, their design is pretty simple but it seems their design is way too complicated for some here to understand.

Some here would be better at advising us on the proper usage of female sanitary napkins (THE RAG) as opposed to advising us on subframe connector theory. In other words, they have nothing useful to offer unless we were interested in looking inside the mind of a fool.

I'll never listen to these fools. I went down the 1/4 mile in my own afterburning jet powered vehicle. I built it for about $400. It was the slowest, cheapest POS I ever drove down the 1/4 but it was also the most fun. I sold it for $2800 and it opened the doors to other opportunities. One jet go-kart..... $400, everything that happened after that..... priceless. I feel bad for the fools, they'll never experience what I did. Now I have this helicopter engine in my garage and I can see the go-kart was just the beginning.

I thank *** every day that I didn't listen to the people who try to discourage me. If anyone else here decides to go down the same path I did, I'm willing to help.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:18 PM

Car: 88 Camaro Convertible
Engine: anemic but fuel effecient 305 Tbi
Transmission: 700R4
Homemade ?

To serpent:

Don't let the Devil steal your joy. I applaud you & anyone who's a do it yourselver (especially if you can save some cash in the process). I am a shade tree at best so again I applaud you & ignore any & all who comment to the contrary (much valuable space on this post has been wasted on negativity-I guess the standards of senior membership is as small as a piece of **** (pun intended). I'll have 2 look U up once I get my 88 drop back on the road (I'm up in Atlanta area).
Old 07-11-2005, 04:22 PM

homemade

Ah, not sure why it was *ed but the comment was senior membership standards must be as small as a grain of R I C E (pun intended again).
Old 07-11-2005, 05:06 PM

88, come on by and we'll fabricate something. I think TGO paid extra money for the super deluxe jumbo pack of questionable forum words. Kind of silly but the people who run this place do a "H E double toothpicks" of a job in general. After all, they put up with me heh heh heh
Old 07-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

I agree with you on the points of spohn SFCs. They're designed to be mass produced so that joe shmoe can bolt them into his '80's IROC. That's about it.

Building a custom fit peice to be welded into your particular vehicle, and knowing HOW it was built and WHAT it was built with will allow you to create a better peice than what aftermarket can come up with.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:55 AM

question

Hey serpent or any one else who might know:

Question: I recently purchased a guage cluster panel from a 91 Z28 (to go in my 88) & the speedo & tach needles are not @ zero (Ithink speedo is around 45mph-it's a 145 speedo & tach is somewhere about a third up from zero? Thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 10:58 AM

Guage cluster cont.

Sorry didn't finish question:

Like I said needles are not on zero so did I buy a bad cluster or will it reset once hooked up to proper wiring & computer? Thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 11:01 AM

I've seen that before. Hook it up to 12 volts, the needles should sweep the scale and then go to 0
Old 07-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56
well done serpent

its the simplicity in things that make inventions/fabrications great
you spent $10 to make something that runs 2-3 hundred and that is what counts

badass job

z28 get bent
your just pissed bc you just spent 300 bucks on the same thing you could have built for 10
Old 07-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by GodSpeedGTA
well done serpent

its the simplicity in things that make inventions/fabrications great
you spent $10 to make something that runs 2-3 hundred and that is what counts

badass job

z28 get bent
your just pissed bc you just spent 300 bucks on the same thing you could have built for 10
Spent 300 bux on what ?

Ahh another misinformed moron, here we go again...
Old 07-23-2005, 02:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
Originally posted by MrDude_1
if you think any of us that have made harnesses before will be impressed by a harness of anykind, you're pretty ignorant as well... lol

the damn box above is more impressive then a harness.. a harness is just wires with plugs.. heck, if i drew out the diagram, and spent a hour teaching, i could teach my little sister to make one.
hah agreed, i spent a summer building wiring harnesses. Whats the most complicated part remembering to put the heat shrink on before you put the connector on?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 19doug90
hah agreed, i spent a summer building wiring harnesses. Whats the most complicated part remembering to put the heat shrink on before you put the connector on?
Hey look another moron who apparently cant read properly before opening his mouth.

The point of the harness building was that Serpent99 seemed to think I was happy with the "painless" harness that I bought when I didnt have a harness at all for my first swap.

So, since its all cake, where are your connectors for em ? Certainly you'll make them available for those who dont have the time / ability to do all of the splicing to make their cars run, right ?

Quick Reply: made this today