Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Billet Hood Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:47 PM
COTM Editor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 87 SC, 90 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI, L98, NADA
Transmission: T56, 700r4's, and NADA
Axle/Gears: 3.89, 3.42, 3.23, NADA
Re: Billet Hood Hinges

Originally Posted by Tibo
Show us this look? Do you have a billet set of hinges mounted on there right now?
I have had the billet hinges for 8 years or so I think. This pic shows hinges and strut mounts.

Name:  BADNBLK%20BofB_zpsiuybkqsz.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  104.9 KB
Old 03-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

well who ever makes them I'm down for a set. ill go $650. Cash in hand 24/7.. as long as they work and look good..

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 03-18-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted making a set years ago, original thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...od-hinges.html

I tried making the base and hood attachment part from separate pieces and weld them together which wasn't too bad. Milling these from billet would increase the cost a significant amount, whereas the separate pieces could be either laser or water jet in larger quantities for fairly cheap. I actually made a fixture for the hood attachment piece because of the complex angle it has. What you may not be able to see easily, and someone mentioned before, is one of the base attachment points, the one in the middle, has a slight angle on it. It cant be setup in a 3 axis and milled easily, you need a 4th axis to rotate the part in order to drill the hole for the bearing and chamfer/add radii accurately. Fixtures could be made to eliminate this but you'd be looking at days of R&D to get it perfect.

When I first started this project I wasnt really running the business, soon after I started that project there were issues that arose and I was the only one able to run the company, which is why it died out. I unfortunately couldn't keep enough time/energy available that the project required. Ive since shifted the focus of the business to high precision CNC routing, its become our bread and butter. I have a HAAS HL-1, VF-1, and VF-4 (HRT 210 4th axis available when needed) that sit idle probably 95% of the time, we keep them because theyre paid off and the jobs I do on them make money.

With that said, if someone has the talent/know-how to design these hinges into models that I could throw on the machine with a billet block, I'm willing to do that on the weekend. As of right now I dont have the time or sufficient skill to draw those models myself.

Im located in Danvers, Massachusetts, if someone locally wants to come in and help by all means.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by bvahnee
I attempted making a set years ago, original thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...od-hinges.html

I tried making the base and hood attachment part from separate pieces and weld them together which wasn't too bad. Milling these from billet would increase the cost a significant amount, whereas the separate pieces could be either laser or water jet in larger quantities for fairly cheap. I actually made a fixture for the hood attachment piece because of the complex angle it has. What you may not be able to see easily, and someone mentioned before, is one of the base attachment points, the one in the middle, has a slight angle on it. It cant be setup in a 3 axis and milled easily, you need a 4th axis to rotate the part in order to drill the hole for the bearing and chamfer/add radii accurately. Fixtures could be made to eliminate this but you'd be looking at days of R&D to get it perfect.

When I first started this project I wasnt really running the business, soon after I started that project there were issues that arose and I was the only one able to run the company, which is why it died out. I unfortunately couldn't keep enough time/energy available that the project required. Ive since shifted the focus of the business to high precision CNC routing, its become our bread and butter. I have a HAAS HL-1, VF-1, and VF-4 (HRT 210 4th axis available when needed) that sit idle probably 95% of the time, we keep them because theyre paid off and the jobs I do on them make money.

With that said, if someone has the talent/know-how to design these hinges into models that I could throw on the machine with a billet block, I'm willing to do that on the weekend. As of right now I dont have the time or sufficient skill to draw those models myself.

Im located in Danvers, Massachusetts, if someone locally wants to come in and help by all means.
I read through that thread, you made them out of 1/4" aluminum, I'm guessing because of the strength or stress of the steel hood against the hood strut? Since you have the experience of making them do you think if the hood was a lighter fiberglass and did not use the hood struts you could do 1/8"? Thats my situation and I've been contemplating making a set using 1/8" aluminum. I would be cheap and use steel inserts and probably a steel roll pin (like our doors do) instead of the roller bearings to.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:57 PM

Fiberglass hood and no struts I think you could get away with 1/8th inch extruded aluminum angle, the only part that really takes a lot of the brunt is the piece that attaches to the hood. I did two different versions of the piece in question, one was a minimalist design which got bent (this was a piece of billet 6061 mind you) and the other was nearly identical to the stock piece minus some cutouts for weight/looks, which worked fine. As long as you keep as much of the strength the 90 degree angle provides you'll be fine.

I think I have a DXF file I could provide you with if you need dimensions/template. I could very easily cut you some templates from cheap material as long as you cover postage, probably less than $10.

I have all the pieces of the bracket drawn in 2d format because my version used as little milling as possible, welding is what brought it together. With some tweaking to suite your needs you may be able to make something work.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by bvahnee
Fiberglass hood and no struts I think you could get away with 1/8th inch extruded aluminum angle, the only part that really takes a lot of the brunt is the piece that attaches to the hood. I did two different versions of the piece in question, one was a minimalist design which got bent (this was a piece of billet 6061 mind you) and the other was nearly identical to the stock piece minus some cutouts for weight/looks, which worked fine. As long as you keep as much of the strength the 90 degree angle provides you'll be fine.

I think I have a DXF file I could provide you with if you need dimensions/template. I could very easily cut you some templates from cheap material as long as you cover postage, probably less than $10.

I have all the pieces of the bracket drawn in 2d format because my version used as little milling as possible, welding is what brought it together. With some tweaking to suite your needs you may be able to make something work.
Welding on it was how I was going to do it. I'll send a PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:31 PM

If anyone is wondering the top part of the bracket that attaches to the hood is roughly a 60 degree angle from the mounting positions, I dont know if you can find angle iron in 60 degree, but if you do, I could make templates very very easily that could be traced.

If anyone is thinking about this project to do for themselves let me know, I've probably hit whatever problems your having.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received a email response from Eddie Motorsports today December 5th 2016 stating they've never gone beyond prototype stage on these & currently have no plans to do so.

I'm flabbergasted considering you're lucky if the factory GM hood hinges & struts last you a year.

My last set of GM NOS hood hinges & struts didn't last 6 months.

And none of the made in China crapola aftermarket ones sold by hawks 3rd gen or elsewhere last any longer.

:-(

Aftermarket folks are you listening? There is a market for these & if you improve on the original design you have gold!

Notwithstanding, GM made more 3rd gens then all 1st & 2nd gens combined.

Make them special order if you have to, even something along the lines of when you get n-number of orders with a nominal deposit you'll do a run and post it to this site & others.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I've never even given it any thought about upgrading the hinges on my car. I've owned 6 of these cars over the years and never once had an issue with the hinge failing. Maybe that is why I never gave it much thought about upgrading them or looking for options on a better hinge.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
I've never even given it any thought about upgrading the hinges on my car. I've owned 6 of these cars over the years and never once had an issue with the hinge failing. Maybe that is why I never gave it much thought about upgrading them or looking for options on a better hinge.
How many 5000 paint jobs have you had ruined by a suddenly crooked opening hood?

I too have had a bunch of 3rd gens new & used...

My current one is a Convertible.

Never had one that the hood hinges & or struts didn't go south on.

How many times have you had a 3rd gen hood smack you in the back while checking the oil, air filter etc, without a prop rod or stick?

This forum & Google clearly shows you're in the minority of 3rd gen owners whom have never had a hood hinge & or strut problem.

IMHO The hoods are too heavy for the factory hood hinge design.

Peace.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

My experience falls in line with bottles, I've owned four and have never or personally seen a bad set of hood hinges. If your experience is different, well, OK. The hood hinges are a very cheap design though.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

It sounds like Bohemian has a problem wth the struts that wear out. (duh) I am on my 4th 3rd gen, and like BottledZ and Tibo, have never had a problem with the hood hinges. However, I, too, have been cheap enough to use the broom stick instead of getting new struts.

Factory hinges or billet hinges will alway have the struts as a wear point, that will eventually drop the hood onto your head. But only after you ignore the times your hood (or hatch) start needing help up in the cold, drooping a little, before BANG in the back of your head!

1st and 2nd gen hinges, with the exposed coil spring, can definitely use the upgrade to nicer looking billet hinges. 3rd gen are not in as big of a need for replacement. I got my hinges painted, along with the engine bay. They look good enough, I am not very tempted any more by the BLING of billet hinges.

Just my $.03.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by Bohemian
Aftermarket folks are you listening? There is a market for these & if you improve on the original design you have gold!
Not really, someone here sold a few sets of billet aluminum hinges here and they barely had any interest. Most people who own third gens are either cheap, or can't afford a 1st of 2nd gen. The market just isn't there yet for people with money to burn who own 3rds. I would personally buy a set of billet hinges with ball bearing pivots and I wish I had the money when that guy sold the few he did.
I am generalizing about who owns 3rd gens, I am not part of that group, but there isn't a lot of people who are like me. Most people just want to go fast, stop fast etc. they aren't concerned about the hood hinges. Everyone thought I was crazy for dropping $800 on billet hinges for my second gen, but they are a huge improvement over the stock 2nd gen design.
I think the best bet would be to go to Hawks and ask them to work with Edde to have them continue the product, that could work since Hawks is probably the biggest supporter of 3rd gens in the aftermarket.

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
I have personally owned 3, have worked on another ~10 or known people that own them, also know a guy who parted them out. I don't think I have ever heard of hinges going bad on anything but maybe a super high mile car. They are cheaply designed and the aftermarket struts don't work as well as the OEM ones for sure.

Originally Posted by MoJoe
Just my $.03.
$0.03 because of inflation?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

Originally Posted by scooter
$0.03 because of inflation?
Nah, it's a billet opinion!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:57 PM

Google this site or the internet in general, and it will become immediately self-evident that there is no shortage of 3rd gen owners whom have had hood hinges & or the assist rams fail prematurely.

IMHO any serious 3rd gen owner, restomoder, etc., would love to have a high quality billet pair.

I too have had a number of 3rd, gens new & used, I frequent my local pick-a-part and have yet to find a 3rd gen that you didn't have to prop the hood up with something.

I've had brand new old stock hinges & or rams go south in less than 6 months on a infrequently opened hood.

The gm design is weak and flimsy & the hood is too damm heavy for the gm hinge & ram design.

Others may have different experiences, than myself.

But clearly Google & this site show I'm far from alone in my experience & desire for a superior designed hinge.

Peace.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:18 AM
Supreme Member

iv had my 92 Z28 from the day it left GM. just installed new hood struts for the new Hood.
my hinges are still like new.. and are getting chromed as nobody makes billet hinges.
the last set of hood struts lasted on 2 hoods and 10 years. this new set who knows..
but I'm dropping $300 into chrome..to make them look good... the hinges would pass for new and the car is 25 years old.

the struts work Fantastic with the new hood..
Name:  20161021_141814.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  173.0 KB

but then this paint is what GM put on the car...25 years ago..and the last time it was waxed was 15 years ago....just always inside..
and makes things last...
Name:  20140616_191319.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  76.8 KB

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 12-26-2016 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I too have had a number of 3rd, gens new & used, I frequent my local pick-a-part and have yet to find a 3rd gen that you didn't have to prop the hood up with something.

I've had brand new old stock hinges & or rams go south in less than 6 months on a infrequently opened hood.

The gm design is weak and flimsy & the hood is too damm heavy for the gm hinge & ram design..
You keep saying hinges and or the ram. Yes, the struts go bad frequently, but what specifically see you saying happens to the actual hinge? I've NEVER heard of the hinge going on these cars and only really old GM vehicles wearing through hinge bushings
Old 11-07-2022, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.71

I really want a pair of these billet hood hinges. (I know it's an old post, but will ask anyways). If you know anyone that has a pair to sell or where I could get a pair, please let me know. TIA!
Old 11-07-2022, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by h1-vltg
I really want a pair of these billet hood hinges. (I know it's an old post, but will ask anyways). If you know anyone that has a pair to sell or where I could get a pair, please let me know. TIA!
these are what i now have installed.
https://www.ringbrothers.com/make/mo...2-chevy-camaro
The following users liked this post:
h1-vltg (11-16-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

found them & Picked up a set. about a week after I had my chromed. on the bright side i only Paid $650 from the ring brothers..

Old 11-16-2022, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.71

these are what i now have installed.
https://www.ringbrothers.com/make/mo...2-chevy-camaro
THANKS!!!...price is now $800, hopefully they have a black Friday sale.

Last edited by h1-vltg; 11-16-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: 700R4 Auto.

Originally Posted by BADNBLK
I have had the billet hinges for 8 years or so I think. This pic shows hinges and strut mounts.

Attachment 320835
What strut brace is this? Best looking one Ive seen
Old 09-30-2023, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 315 Likes on 258 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Hotchkis
Old 10-01-2023, 03:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Looks like this thread carried on without the OP, who hasn't posted in it since his original post over 8 years ago. Since the thread has been revived, might as well provide some updated information. Hawk's offers the EM hinges, about which this thread was created, but they're cheaper directly from EM for the raw finish.
1982-1992 Camaro Billet Aluminum Hood Hinges - Hawks Third Generation (hawksmotorsports.com)
Hood Hinges 82-92 Camaro Hood Hinges (eddiemotorsports.com)

Hawk's also offers the hinges from Ring Brothers, which you can also get directly from RB, but these are cheaper from Hawk's.
1982-1992 Camaro/Firebird Fiberglass/Steel Hood Billet Hinge Kit - Air Frame, Ringbrothers - Hawks Third Generation (hawksmotorsports.com)
1982-1992 Chevy Camaro - Industry leading car parts for your 1982-1992 Chevy Camaro | Ringbrothers. Billet Aluminium Car Parts and Exterior Styling Components from Ringbrothers - Ringbrothers

Considering they're somewhat big-ticket items, "cheaper" at one place vs the other isn't much cheaper.
The following users liked this post:
91banditt2 (10-02-2023)