Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

SLP air boxes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
SLP air boxes

I have been wanting to remake the SLP air boxes out of aluminum for some time. I just learned how to use Sketchup, so I can quickly make the templates for sending to a place to cut out what is needed.

I could get more templates made, and this thread is to gauge interest in making more than one or two for me. I would want my box in aluminum and would increase the cost since I would have to TIG all the parts together and increases the difficulty. Or if I could figure out how to attach the sides to the top/bottom mechanically, most likely rivets, I could cut the time down to make them. I would say a flange, but I don't have a brake or bender so it would have to be something else to attach them together. The straight parts would be easy, just some small angle and put all the holes necessary, but the back side of the box is round. I know there was another SLP box, but I had the dual cold air setup with the rounded boxes. If anyone has any ideas, I am open to hearing them, or if someone has measurements of the other boxes, I would consider making that one too.

Alternatively, I could have them made out of steel instead of aluminum and MIGing them would take little time at all.

If anyone is interested, please let me know. This box could be made LH/RH easily since the area in front of the wheel housings is relatively mirrored, so it could be made for a Firebird or Camaro.

I am planning on making it look as much like the SLP box as possible, but with some minor differences. There was a support bracket at the back and it broke off almost immediately since it was not supported really. I may make the box a little longer so it covers the entire battery tray instead of the way it is currently. I am also planning on using the dzus fasteners like SLP did for the lid. Another change I may consider is the air filter size. It is an odd diameter, 3.25" but a 3.5" or 4" filter may be better for people, especially for people who may be doing engine swaps, like an LSx where the TB is bigger than a TPI

I am going to try to draw it up in a few weeks and then find out about pricing after that.

Last edited by scooter; 12-28-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: SLP air boxes

The dual cold air uses different boxes than the single. The single box is relatively flat on all sides, but it's not exactly "square". There are a few angles involved to make it fit the available space.

Aluminum would be more durable, but also more expensive. The original SLP boxes are very cheesy plastic. It's not hard to understand why the tabs, etc had a habit of breaking. A slightly heavier plastic, or a composite would be more durable, and once the molds are worked out, production would be relatively unlimited.

The #1 annoyance with the SLP cold airs is how much stuff is in the way. The single requires removing the air cleaner support and the evap can, and on the later cars at least the overflow tank and the AC lines to the condenser have to come out to get the box in place. The side marker light harness has to be rerouted too. The dual setup requires moving the battery, and figuring out a solution for the upper radiator hose. The point being that a person would probably be just as far ahead to run a few pieces of mandrel bent aluminum pipe to a filter in the inner fender. Add a plate to shield the inner fender from engine bay heat and it'd be easier to fab, easier to install, and work just as well.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

I'll definitely take one if you do it for my Formula.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
The dual cold air uses different boxes than the single. The single box is relatively flat on all sides, but it's not exactly "square". There are a few angles involved to make it fit the available space.

Aluminum would be more durable, but also more expensive. The original SLP boxes are very cheesy plastic. It's not hard to understand why the tabs, etc had a habit of breaking. A slightly heavier plastic, or a composite would be more durable, and once the molds are worked out, production would be relatively unlimited.

The #1 annoyance with the SLP cold airs is how much stuff is in the way. The single requires removing the air cleaner support and the evap can, and on the later cars at least the overflow tank and the AC lines to the condenser have to come out to get the box in place. The side marker light harness has to be rerouted too. The dual setup requires moving the battery, and figuring out a solution for the upper radiator hose. The point being that a person would probably be just as far ahead to run a few pieces of mandrel bent aluminum pipe to a filter in the inner fender. Add a plate to shield the inner fender from engine bay heat and it'd be easier to fab, easier to install, and work just as well.
Thanks for the reply. I know the boxes are different, I have a dual box, but not a regular cold box to model. Making it out of sheet would be much easier and cost effective to make, I am not looking to make them out of anything else. As for the rest, I don't really care whether it is annoying to install or other stuff is easier to install, I just want to know whether there is interest for me to make more than two for myself.

Originally Posted by thtanner
I'll definitely take one if you do it for my Formula.
I would just need to know whether you need a RH or LH
Old 12-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

My airbox is on the passenger side.

To me, it wouldn't have to be an exact replica of the SLP, just functional.. and better than cheesy early 90s plastic.

If you managed to make the install suck less that's a bonus.

Note that the SLP box came with relocation stuff for the charcoal filter. Pretty sure it's just vacuum line. Not sure where they had you relocate it /shrug
Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

My airbox is on the passenger side.

To me, it wouldn't have to be an exact replica of the SLP, just functional.. and better than cheesy early 90s plastic.

If you managed to make the install suck less that's a bonus.

Note that the SLP box came with relocation stuff for the charcoal filter. Pretty sure it's just vacuum line. Not sure where they had you relocate it /shrug
Pretty sure all the late firebird all have on the RH side, but I would just need to know on an individual basis. As far as the install, there's nothing much I can do about that, I'm not looking to replicate the whole kit, just the boxes. I'm doing an LS swap in both my cars, so I have stuff moved around anyway. It basically has to install against the side of the side of the battery tray area to keep it sucking cold air, otherwise it's not much better than stock other than a larger opening.

A quick look at filters with a 3.5" ID and open, may be a problem, like the original filter. I'll have to find the original filter part number, I have them, and see if that one is even available. I'll contact K&N and see if they have something and I'm just not seeing it on their site
Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

The point being that a person would probably be just as far ahead to run a few pieces of mandrel bent aluminum pipe to a filter in the inner fender. Add a plate to shield the inner fender from engine bay heat and it'd be easier to fab, easier to install, and work just as well.
That's what I did back in 1991 on my GTA. Keep in mind, the parts available were prevalent then, as it was the heyday of TPI. But lots of junk which didn't fit right, and much of it overpriced. Sorry if that's harsh, but it was reality from the things I saw in the era.

I could draw more icy cold air than a Canadian jet stream in January

Old 12-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I'm happy for you, but that's not relevant to the point of this thread
Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

If anyone has any ideas, I am open to hearing them
Sounds like you've already made your mind up.

They supplied a bracket to mount the canister to the impact bumper with some of the kits, others just say to jam it between the battery and radiator support on the driver's side.

I've had a SLP dual setup in my stash for at least 15 years, picked up the single a few years ago (like 10?) and have never installed it because I didn't feel like messing with the car enough to make the thing fit. They look neat, but I don't feel the hassle is worth the minimal improvement. So they're in the future project pile.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

If you could duplicate this setup I would be interested.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I have several pictures of the aluminum boxes in cars someplace and a few other pictures of another Hawk with unpainted aluminum air boxes and a plastic crossover tube. Those crazy SLP kids
Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 AM
Supreme Member

Sounds like you've already made your mind up.
I asked for ideas on how to connect the top/bottom to the sides without welding and without bending flanges since welding it out of aluminum would be cost prohibitive to most people and I am not sure how to connect the rounded part easily without welding. I am not going to get into composites since I am making them out of aluminum for myself.

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD

I COULD potentially make the dual crossover tube, but it would be quite an endeavor and it would take a large brake/bender to make the tube out of one piece of material. I would have to get the crossover tube back from the person I sold it to to model one though.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 6.9L TPI(FIRST) 421ci
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" Eaton truetrac 3.50

Got any pics of the single SLP setup? Did the Camaro setup go to the right the same as the Firebird setup went left?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD

Setup would not work with MAF, correct? Looks like a MAP setup,. no room for the MAF between the dual intakes.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27

I'd be interested in a set (L & R side) of the dual CAI boxes as long as they are pretty much identical in measurements and appearance.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Axle/Gears: 3.73

why not find a prefab'd collar from a dryer hook up or HVAC stuff? Perhaps a walk through the duct isle at home depot/ace hardware?
Old 12-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Originally Posted by TORN
Got any pics of the single SLP setup? Did the Camaro setup go to the right the same as the Firebird setup went left?
This is a single & yes the Camaro went to the same side.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Setup would not work with MAF, correct? Looks like a MAP setup,. no room for the MAF between the dual intakes.
Yes, the dual setup was MAP only.

OK, looks like there is interest for 4 extra boxes to make. I still have to finish the drawing and get some pricing, will be a little while, I am still putting my car back together, I don't want to drive my Suburban all winter if I can help it. I will try to get something up in a week or two, just to look at, lol
Old 01-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I had the dual SLP setup on my last car for a little while. Paid cheap money for it and most likely sold it for cheap money too. Worse part of that entire install was moving the battery to the rear cargo compartment.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Can anyone provide dimensions for the SLP box? I'm in the process of replicating one.

Thanks!