Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

HELP NEED ADVICE, FRONT END DAMAGE PLEAE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
HELP NEED ADVICE, FRONT END DAMAGE PLEAE HELP

Please help, I am trying to finish up fixing my firebird, and I don’t know what to do next. I read the core support is one piece with the wheel well and the firewall, so I don’t know if I’m ****ed here. I just have a bow in the arm that holds the driver fender in place. Damn unibodys. Passenger side, seems to be strait, had no issues with fender alignment from door forward.
Drivers side, this I’m worried about
Drivers side with the bow, hard to see but with fender on it catches the driver door when I open it.
Drivers side with the bow, hard to see but with fender on it catches the driver door when I open it.
Drivers side with fender on, fender is screwed up from accident just wanna give you a idea what I’m working with.
Drivers side with fender on, fender is screwed up from accident just wanna give you a idea what I’m working with.
Best picture I can get with the bow on the drivers side. It bows a little to the left.
Best picture I can get with the bow on the drivers side. It bows a little to the left.
Passanger side, I’m also worried about this
Old 07-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2
Re: HELP NEED ADVICE, FRONT END DAMAGE PLEAE HELP

What does the whole car look like?

I had an IROC that got in a 40mph head on collision because some idiot suddenly pulled out onto a state highway and made me lock up my brakes with cars coming the other way..

They replaced the whole front end.. frame, fenders, hood, nose, etc etc..

I was just a detail guy (not a body/frame expert) but they did not think it was a big deal.. since it wasn’t my fault car got fixed back to brand new condition with amazing paint.. was better than new and drove perfect..

Car was straighter than the lowest mile creampuff you can find.. (best collision shop in the State/maybe the northeast)

From what they told me, if you crack up one of these, better the front than the rear.. get hit in the rear you usually have to throw the car out.. I was told even if you can’t straighten the front you can replace everything..

I bet I could find my invoice with all the work they did.. Took 4 months to get it back.. My boss basically fully restored the car and got the other guys insurance to pay..

They used to outsource to a shop that specialized in straightening/restoring frames.. you might need to outsource that work if doing it yourself..
Old 07-21-2018, 11:50 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

only issue is its my fault so I have to pay our of pocket. I cant have a $3,000 bill to fix it, or id just get rid of it
Old 08-06-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Rs.R
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

ok.... so i did this on my car years ago when i crashed it
firt things first. you need to make sure your chassis is strait. so loose the nose and fenders and take lots of measurements from fixed points of the chassis such as, k member bolt hols, trailing arm mounts, trans mounts, strut tower mounts ... the thing with the 3g is any damage from the front wheel and back is very mush a pain... anything forward of the wheels is easy... so take measurements and wright them all down somewhere safe...
after you determin where its flaws are... paint pen a circle areas.... if you need to replace portions of the front end its no biggy, all you need is a center punch and a spot weld cutter and alot of patience.... each peice will come apart and go togeather like a puzzle. when i did mine i had to cut off the entire front end and rebuild it peice by peice... take your time and measer 3 times for everything
Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by morrow
ok.... so i did this on my car years ago when i crashed it
firt things first. you need to make sure your chassis is strait. so loose the nose and fenders and take lots of measurements from fixed points of the chassis such as, k member bolt hols, trailing arm mounts, trans mounts, strut tower mounts ... the thing with the 3g is any damage from the front wheel and back is very mush a pain... anything forward of the wheels is easy... so take measurements and wright them all down somewhere safe...
after you determin where its flaws are... paint pen a circle areas.... if you need to replace portions of the front end its no biggy, all you need is a center punch and a spot weld cutter and alot of patience.... each peice will come apart and go togeather like a puzzle. when i did mine i had to cut off the entire front end and rebuild it peice by peice... take your time and measer 3 times for everything
do you have any before and after pictures?
im in the same boat. lucky for me i have a spare car to take from.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Rs.R
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I know I took lots of pics, I just need to find them lol it was years ago. Car drove better after word too lol