History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Delco GM radios

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp
Delco GM radios

I don't think factory radios were brought up, but I've been dealing with them recently as well as adding a new Pioneer detach face unit to my cars. When and how many CD models were available and what is the deal with harness changes and time frame and particulars on them?
I got a 2000+ CD unit with RDS only to find it uses specific components that make it 'retrofit' proof. I was really interested in the CD/cassette combos but GM added them late in the 90s and they appear all specific to new vehicles only.
The white/black/blue three plug harness changed slightly in the early 90s but looking on eBay there's quite the odd variety spanning those years (80s to 2003/4)

Most people prefer aftermarket for good reason, but Delco's are simple to pop in and have worked well for long periods, I've found, sometimes found very cheaply from those upgrading.
My 1989 had the all pushbutton face with EQ and AM Stereo C Quam reception which has now been abandoned.
I recall in my missing owner's manual a CD version optioned for 1989, but can't recall exactly the options
-Bill

Last edited by Bill Speed; 04-03-2004 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
I picked up the CD deck for my 89 RS.. it's a nice unit.. The earlier versions where not as reliable. The one I have for my car was actually made in 1994, the last year they where produced. I also had a older version, and the electronics where much more moderized in the 94 version. The one I picked up did have a problem with the cd player so I had it fixed.. You really gotta be wanting a factory deck because if you need em fixed it's gonna cost ya.. for what I paid to get mine fixed I could have got one heck of an aftermarket deck.. There was only one cd deck style for the Camaros that was push button from 89 - 92. In 1993 they reverted back to the style with *****. The Firebirds had a different style of CD deck.. not sure how long that perticular style was used for till they changed it .. Here is a picture of the CD deck for the Camaro's I think the actual Camaro version had black button faces .. the silver ones I liked better where for the oldsmobile.
Attached Thumbnails Delco GM radios-delco-cd_01.jpg  
Old 04-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp
So was the CD new for 1989 or there was a previous unit for a time up to then? I'm looking in the 'Redbook' for Firebird and of course some validity for the facts there have been debunked here, but the listing from GM for that option was U1A. The AM/FM cassette with touch panels (augmented with lighted LED graph readout!) was UT4. Prices listed in the Redbook...the cassette; $317. to $447, the CD unit; $75 (??) to $526 'retail price'.

I did a couple of things, first was buy a couple units from the local Goodwill, pretty much none working and lost the reciept to return them, then one off eBay wouldn't power up and the other was a 2000 model with RDS so it's not backward compatible to older cars.
I was able to get a 45x4 Pioneer cassette unit for $30 from a pawn shop which pretty much makes the argument for aftermarket a forgone conclusion. I am curious where to go for factory radio service although I may recall one such avenue locally. Was quite a while back.

There are a select few aftermarket CD/cassette combos from third parties (Clarion, Pioneer, Alpine) that allow more options so aside from future upgrade to DVD digital surround for my car, I'm leaning toward that. The option to hook up my MD player/recorder is very appealing to me, for example

The GM theft codes also inter the picture when buying 1990s OEM radios, and according to eBay sellers, dealers charge $40 or so to reprogram or unlock. Thanks for the pic, I'd lost my owners manual somewhere and they don't show a CD unit in my '88 Cad manual.

-Bill