History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: 4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE

Or disconnect the speedo cable and go drive that thing!

Kidding. Or maybe I'm not...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

"Camaro" has been fixed! Let's go easy on Keith. He's new and he does work for Ford!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I need some help quick if someone could chime in. I have a chance to buy original GM hood insulation for the Camaro brand new in the box.

Can anyone confirm that the 82 up to 85 Camaro hood insulation with the 4bbl carb were the same.

If so, please let me know, thanks guys!!

Nevermind....I just found out that the 85 part number is still available even though my local chevy dealership said it wasent.... However it looks like the part number that another chevy dealershiip gave me is a molded one. The one on the car now is just a plain old fiberglass type. Did they change the service part to a different design? I just want to put what is on the car now, not some other type...The part number that is still available and is supposed to fit 85-92 Camaro's is #14099509

Can anyone shed some light for me?? Thank you!!

Keith

Last edited by NEW-85IROC-Z; 04-27-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:27 BW 9 bolt

I'm curious what condition the cooling system is in. Was it drained back in '85? I would imagine the anti-corrosive agents in the original antifreeze would have been depleted years ago.

Also, I'm assuming the a/c isn't working? I'd expect the o-rings in the compressor are dried out after all that time sitting.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Car: Many
Engine: Several
Transmission: Automatics

any news keith?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 AM

I just talked to Keith and he is still working on locating the rims. He also ordered a power antenna repair kit and underhood insulation pad and will be attacking those shortly. Sounds like the car is progressing, but you can only do so much.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Wow....just WOW... This is awesome! Im so glad someone is keeping us updated on this puppy! Sounds like you and the original owner are doing it the right way. Just PLEASE keep the pics and videos coming!!!

J.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM

Car: 1987 IROC & 1968 Nova
Engine: 5.0 TPI & 350
Transmission: 700R4 & powerglide

i remember seeing a set of 4 new (correct) wheels and tires on ebay the first time this car was up for auction. they said that they were taken off of a new iroc so aftermarket wheels could go on it. they were sweet.. gatorbacks and all. i remember thinking how awesome it would be to be able to afford the car and the wheels. i am sure they are long gone by now though... good luck in the search.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by greatpumpkin_68
i remember seeing a set of 4 new (correct) wheels and tires on ebay the first time this car was up for auction. they said that they were taken off of a new iroc so aftermarket wheels could go on it. they were sweet.. gatorbacks and all. i remember thinking how awesome it would be to be able to afford the car and the wheels. i am sure they are long gone by now though... good luck in the search.
WOW, that would be a find! If anyone on here still has those wheels/tires on their watch list on Ebay, Please let me know. Im sure whoever bought them would sell them for a price. I am going to do some searching on Ebay completed listings and see if I get lucky...Ya never know. Thank you for the heads up. I wish I would have known that my boss was going to buy it earlier, I would have bought them right then and there, but it was kinda a last minute thing. I told him about the car on Ebay around 11:00 am or so, and it ended that night...
Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Hello everyone,

Im uploading some pictures now of the completely waxed, so I will post some in the next few moments, and also have some updates as well...Just thought I would let some of you know if you were still online....Be right back....

Keith
Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z28

Originally Posted by NEW-85IROC-Z
Hello everyone,

Im uploading some pictures now of the completely waxed, so I will post some in the next few moments, and also have some updates as well...Just thought I would let some of you know if you were still online....Be right back....

Keith
can't friggin wait. make sure they are hi res
Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.0 305 Carb'd
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

im here waitin
Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!

Keith - I hope this helps in your search for wheels.....

The front factory IROC wheels have 4.5" backspacing and the rear factory wheels have 5" backspacing.

That may help you determine if those two new wheels are fronts or rears.....

Keep up the good work!

Mike (1bad91Z)
Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 PM

Car: 1992 Rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Wow I'm glad to see this surface here. Thanks a million Scott and 85 iroc-z.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 PM

Ok, it’s taking forever to upload those pictures on my slow satalite internet so I thought I would post some updates while it is uploading...Done now.

I put a "before" picture in there for comparison. Its came a long way, but I still have some more work to do on the paint to get it to really shine, and look new again. I will get it, one coat of wax at a time...It's got 3 now, and I wont stop till it looks like it should....Can we say obsessed???

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow

As Scott had mentioned, I have a antenna repair kit coming, plus retainers for the fender well if I happen to need them, and I thought I had the under hood insulation ordered, but I got a call from the local GM dealership that I ordered it from and they said it was discontinued. I thought, that’s great, how am I supposed to find one of these "new", it’s hard enough to find wheels, let alone something that most people might not ever replace.

Well, I lucked out. Monday, I happen to run across a brand new sealed in the box hood insulator on Ebay. The gentleman bought it when he was restoring his Iroc, but then got rid of the car. The auction said it would only fit 1982 Camaro's with a 305 and 4bbl carb. I thought why wouldn’t it fit an 85 carbed 305? It clearly stated it would only fit an 82. So I checked with my local GM dealership and they said that a 82, and 85 had different part numbers, but didn’t know why. Anyway, he called me and said that the part number he had, updated to a newer number. That number was also discontinued, but it was the exact number that was on Ebay, so I bought it immediately! I was sooo happy to find a brand new insulator, rather than a aftermarket one. I also have two hood struts coming as well.

Thanks to Scott, I ordered 20 brand new black lug nuts also from Ebay. The ones on the car turned out to be the correct ones after all, but they are all scratched and beat up due to them being on incorrect wheels, and washers being underneath the lug nuts also. And for the final part of my shopping spree today, I ordered 4 refinished oem wheels for the Iroc. I got them for a very cheap $165.00 shipped/each from Finishlinewheels.com. The guy was very nice, and offered me the discount after I placed the order. The site did have them for 189/each for the front, and 199/each for the rears, plus shipping.

I did email them and told them to verify they are correct, and even provided a link to the 87 Iroc on Ebay with 4,000 miles that Scott told me about. I told them that the wheels on that car are the exact wheels I need, so we will see what happens.

Well, thats about all for now, so once these parts start coming it, I will post some pic's to show the progress...

As Scott has said a few times to me, "Are you having fun spending the boss's money"? Hell yes!!! This is a blast!! It doesn’t matter what it costs, as long as we get what the car needs, I have a open Amex card to do whatever I want with....To bad I couldn’t buy that Black 87 Iroc on Ebay, Man that is a sweet looking car!!!! Do you think he would miss $30,000 on his credit card???

Keith
Old 04-29-2009, 11:39 PM

wow just wow
Old 04-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: ones that turn

Originally Posted by CaliChevyLover
wow just wow
cleaned up amazingly
Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by 92RS(real slow)
cleaned up amazingly
Thanks, like I said, I still have some work to do, but overall, it turned out pretty good.

I still have to "detail" the engine compartment, and clean up the inside of the car. The original floor mats left a tar like substance on the seats and floor, so that has to be removed as well.

I need some opinions’ on something guys... Do you think I should install the front lower nose piece? I was going to do it, but then after talking to a few people at the dealership, and customers, I am now starting to wonder if I should.

The main reason being is this: The car has never been "dealer prepped", however, if I install the lower nose piece, or air dam, whatever it’s called, I would have done some of the dealer prep work right? It then would lose its label, never been dealer prepped..

I really want to see the car completely waxed, new wheels, and that front piece, but if it is going to tarnish the "rare" condition of this car, then I don’t want to do it then.

What do you guys think????

By the way, thanks again Scott for your help today regarding all the great info you gave me, plus the heads up on the lug nuts and for the phone calls you made for my hunt for key codes…I really appreciated it!!!

Keith
Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 AM

Car: 88 sport coupe
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: auto

This makes my 88 look bad. I have parts off of 7 cars already on it. (Its purple and blue on a couple panels under the white primer.) If I had found this car I would have held onto it myself. Isn't it great that someone spent good money on a car then forgot they had it? Leaves the rest of us drooling.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 AM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.43

thanks for joining and keeping us updated!!!! me i would leave it off... to keep the unprep dealer name to it
Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 AM

i say put it on. it wasnt prepped by a dealer it was prepped by the owner

on a serous note it doesnt look right without it.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

Definitely install the front GFX. It's not right without it, but of course keep the box and everything as proof besides your pictures. Dealers also wax cars and you've done that, so I think it's being a little rediculous now to leave off a piece of the car that should be on. It doesn't and never will have it's actual original rims/tires either since they have to be bought, so go all the way and complete the car! I'd leave all the plastic and such on the seats though.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 AM

I say leave it off. maybe the only iroc left that never had one intalled.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:39 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Carb'd
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Wow this is purely amazing! Thank you for the updates the videos and all the pictures! This is truely a piece of history and I know many including me that it went to a good home! Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Thanks, like I said, I still have some work to do, but overall, it turned out pretty good.

I still have to "detail" the engine compartment, and clean up the inside of the car. The original floor mats left a tar like substance on the seats and floor, so that has to be removed as well.

I need some opinions’ on something guys... Do you think I should install the front lower nose piece? I was going to do it, but then after talking to a few people at the dealership, and customers, I am now starting to wonder if I should.

The main reason being is this: The car has never been "dealer prepped", however, if I install the lower nose piece, or air dam, whatever it’s called, I would have done some of the dealer prep work right? It then would lose its label, never been dealer prepped..

I really want to see the car completely waxed, new wheels, and that front piece, but if it is going to tarnish the "rare" condition of this car, then I don’t want to do it then.

What do you guys think????

By the way, thanks again Scott for your help today regarding all the great info you gave me, plus the heads up on the lug nuts and for the phone calls you made for my hunt for key codes…I really appreciated it!!!

Keith

I say, complete the car. Get the wheels, install the front spoiler, finish it up. And this is coming from someone who is **** about the originality of my 10,000 mile '89 IROC-Z.

BTW, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed watching the progress of this car. I've been following it ever since the second owners found it sitting in that trailer.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

I don't see the harm in installing the front spoiler, if the original dealer were to put it on the showroom floor it would be on there, right? It's not like the car is going to be driven and it's going to get scratched up.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Oh Keith, where did you get the lug nuts? I'm looking for an original set for my '83.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DarrensCamaro
Wow this is purely amazing! Thank you for the updates the videos and all the pictures! This is truely a piece of history and I know many including me that it went to a good home! Thanks!
No problem. I am happy to upload videos/pictures for everyone. This has been a blast being a part of this cars restoration if you will. I just wish photobucket would allow the pictures to be full size.

I am going to post some new links soon with some full size pictures. The car looks sooo much better with full size photos...

Take Care.....

Keith
Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by chazman
Oh Keith, where did you get the lug nuts? I'm looking for an original set for my '83.
Well, Scott told me about some on Ebay that he saw a few days ago, so he called me, and while we were searching, we both ran into some. Here is the Ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

OR, you can do what I did, and just visit this guys store, and buy them directly and not wait for the auction to end. www.mikesmontes.com. Here is the direct link to the lug nuts: http://www.mikesmontes.com/proddetai...d=239&cat=2722

Hope that helps!!

Keith
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 80schild
I don't see the harm in installing the front spoiler, if the original dealer were to put it on the showroom floor it would be on there, right? It's not like the car is going to be driven and it's going to get scratched up.
thats what i disagree with...a waste of a car imo not to drive
Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!

Have you made a decision yet on the front GFX?

Like others said above, you have enough documentation and other items to show what the car really is. Install the front GFX and put a nice set of factory 85 IROC wheels on it maybe with some goodyear gatorbacks if you can find them. If not, goodyear eagle's would suffice.

Do you know if the car came with (gold or silver) IROC wheels originally?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 PM

I suggested to Keith that he put the chin spoiler on, and remove the plastics from the interior. The car has a history, but isn't required to remain in the state it was found. Like was already mentioned, the car has been partially prepped by just being cleaned and waxed. My opinion was to get the car in show worthy condition and keep it with record low miles. The GoodYear Gatorbacks would not be a good choice as the rubber would be deteriorating and unsafe. With the cleaning being done, not original rims, tires, floormats, etc, he is already past the part of "never been touched or prepped". Most shows would not expect to see an original 25 year old car show up on the original tires due to safety reasons, so get the car looking like you want to see it at shows and enjoy it. if that means driving it around locally, then so be it. You may never get this opportunity again! If I bought the car, I would also remove the grease markings from the windows, but only after pictures are taken. Are these markings from the factory or the transport company?

If you go to a show and see a super clean IROC-Z on display. You would be impressed. Then you get closer and see that the interior is also mint. Look at the odometer and see only a few hundred miles and you'd be drooling. Do you really think the same would be the case if the car was sitting at a show with plastic on the interior and the chin spoiler off? I don't think so.

Also, the car came with silver rims. Keith, don't forget that this car was designed for V, Z or W rated tires. Please don't put S, T or H rated tires on the car.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I suggested to Keith that he put the chin spoiler on, and remove the plastics from the interior. The car has a history, but isn't required to remain in the state it was found. Like was already mentioned, the car has been partially prepped by just being cleaned and waxed. My opinion was to get the car in show worthy condition and keep it with record low miles. The GoodYear Gatorbacks would not be a good choice as the rubber would be deteriorating and unsafe. With the cleaning being done, not original rims, tires, floormats, etc, he is already past the part of "never been touched or prepped". Most shows would not expect to see an original 25 year old car show up on the original tires due to safety reasons, so get the car looking like you want to see it at shows and enjoy it. if that means driving it around locally, then so be it. You may never get this opportunity again! If I bought the car, I would also remove the grease markings from the windows, but only after pictures are taken. Are these markings from the factory or the transport company?

If you go to a show and see a super clean IROC-Z on display. You would be impressed. Then you get closer and see that the interior is also mint. Look at the odometer and see only a few hundred miles and you'd be drooling. Do you really think the same would be the case if the car was sitting at a show with plastic on the interior and the chin spoiler off? I don't think so.

Also, the car came with silver rims. Keith, don't forget that this car was designed for V, Z or W rated tires. Please don't put S, T or H rated tires on the car.

I agree completely.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:27 PM

Update!

I now have keys to open the doors and the rear hatch!!! GM came through and uploaded the VIN into the data base so our local GM dealership could get the code and cut a key...

Just got back and the key works great. I opened the rear hatch for the first time, and it stays up believe it or not!!

Im so happy....

Keith
Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes

Apparently we are the minority on that issue. Everyone seems to think it needs to be never driven and only shown to keep the miles where they are.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Iroc Clone
Engine: 305 H.O.

what an incredible thread. Thank you Keith for taking the time to share it all with us
Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Well look at it this way, if it had been driven all these years would this thread exist? Would all of us here be fascinated with this car? Would there be anything special about this car? Nope, it would be just another Iroc w/ low miles. This car is basically a time capsule, it kinda reminds me of that '57 Plymouth in Oklahoma, the one that they pulled out of the ground and discovered it was rusted to pieces. Only this time the car is actually preserved.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Well look at it this way, if it had been driven all these years would this thread exist? Would all of us here be fascinated with this car? Would there be anything special about this car? Nope, it would be just another Iroc w/ low miles. This car is basically a time capsule, it kinda reminds me of that '57 Plymouth in Oklahoma, the one that they pulled out of the ground and discovered it was rusted to pieces. Only this time the car is actually preserved.
ya its a fascinating find...but now thats it found enjoy it!

i found my iroc about 2yrs ago with 57k on it. which was great. so now i can enjoy it even more when i drive it everyday.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM

i agree 100% with you. this is the same way i see it.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

Don't put the front spoiler on and leave the plastics on the interior. It's what truly makes the car rarer then any other IROC out there. If you want get another NOS spoiler or spoiler in general and put it on. But leave that original one in the box. That car is a gold mine left as is and just cleaned up.

Please leave it as is!!! The car never been being prepped is what truly makes this car a 1 of 1. And the most rare IROC out there.

Last edited by burnout88; 04-30-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

It should not, and hopefully will not ever be driven. The money is in the low milage. There is nothing rare about this IROC exept it's circumstances. It's got 4.3 miles. Cool, now where does it go? What does it do? It has no historical value. It might have technical value, to us on this thread. There are many excellent examples of low mileage IROC'S to refer to. This one was purchased 21 years ago and left in a box. And it might not have seen it's last owner. This owner got it for a pretty good price in my opinion. I like the car, I hope it makes it to where it gets displayed publicly.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1bad91Z
Have you made a decision yet on the front GFX?

Like others said above, you have enough documentation and other items to show what the car really is. Install the front GFX and put a nice set of factory 85 IROC wheels on it maybe with some goodyear gatorbacks if you can find them. If not, goodyear eagle's would suffice.

Do you know if the car came with (gold or silver) IROC wheels originally?
I'm still pondering over the Idea of the lower piece.....I guess I will leave that decision when all of the other parts gets installed and finished. Still have a lot of work to do on it first. Wheels, center caps, tires, hood insulation, hood struts, antenna repair, finishing the engine compartment detail job, touching up the inside of the car, and making the paint look "new" again.

The car had silver wheels on it from the factory according to the build sheet. It turns out the 2 NOS wheels from NY were sold on Ebay. I emailed the guy about them, but he took several days to get back with me, and by the time he did, they were sold. I did however find out who bought them and emailed him yesterday about buying them from him. I asked him to name a price if he wanted to sell them. I would sure like to have "new" wheels back on the car if possible. Then I would only have to find two more...We will see...

Keith
Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM

Car: Sold: 1986 Z28 Black/Silver
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 5 spd

I'm still pondering over the Idea of the lower piece.....I guess I will leave that decision when all of the other parts gets installed and finished. Still have a lot of work to do on it first. Wheels, center caps, tires, hood insulation, hood struts, antenna repair, finishing the engine compartment detail job, touching up the inside of the car, and making the paint look "new" again.

The car had silver wheels on it from the factory according to the build sheet. It turns out the 2 NOS wheels from NY were sold on Ebay. I emailed the guy about them, but he took several days to get back with me, and by the time he did, they were sold. I did however find out who bought them and emailed him yesterday about buying them from him. I asked him to name a price if he wanted to sell them. I would sure like to have "new" wheels back on the car if possible. Then I would only have to find two more...We will see...

Keith
my 2 cents...i'd leave the interior as is...leave the plastic on the seats and front spoiler un-mounted. At shows, everyone will ask why the spoiler is not mounted and you have a great conversation piece.
I would also do whatever it takes to get a set of gatorbacks. This vehicle isn't a driver so the age/safety should not be a concern. The rims and tires should be original.

Keep it as close to the way it was delievered to the dealer in 85 as possible. Document every piece you are removing/replacing like the hood struts. Obviously, you'll want to retain all the parts, even the hood struts and id them.

Remember, the real value of this car will be another 10 years or so and you want EVERYTHING documented and retained.

Watching a Mecum auction the other month and a guy was selling a 70 something Cuda...he damaged the from bumper back in the early 80's. The car was repaired and he kept the damaged bumper. Well, it turns out the damaged bumper (original) actually helped him get a higher value for the car. The car was sold and the new owner wanted the damaged bumper.

Last edited by tarheel; 05-01-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by IROCZTWENTYGR8
The person you're dealing with seems more tech savvy than the owner. How about asking him to join to keep us updated on the car?
I am the guy that sold the car. I think I am tech savvy on how this car was handled. This car should have been brought back to life by the new owner. I was only the interim owner, not the final owner and that's the person that should be responsible for how the car is brought back to original condition. I will be available to answer any questions regarding how I acquired the car. I can only relay what I was told by the original purchaser. I do believe the right person now owns this important piece of Camaro history
Old 05-01-2009, 06:58 PM

That comment was directed at the new owner. Keith, NEW-85IROC-Z, works for the new owner. No disrespect was directed towards you. By the way, thanks for getting my contact information to the new owner. As you can see, he contacted me and we have been working on getting the car back to it's original glory.

Not everyone read all the posts under the youtube video. Can you tell us the car's history as you know it? Thanks for joining and we look forward to any input you can provide. I'm sure Keith would also love to know more about the car he's spent so many hours working on.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

I would recommend finding a set of gatorbacks and have them retreaded. Once retreaded they will be like new. Just an option to keep the tires original.

http://www.retread.org/
Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by qbansmokr
I am the guy that sold the car. I think I am tech savvy on how this car was handled. This car should have been brought back to life by the new owner. I was only the interim owner, not the final owner and that's the person that should be responsible for how the car is brought back to original condition. I will be available to answer any questions regarding how I acquired the car. I can only relay what I was told by the original purchaser. I do believe the right person now owns this important piece of Camaro history
Hi,

Im glad to see you got my email, and the links to this forum. Thanks for joining!! Did you happen to check out any of the video's or some of the many pictures I have posted? What do you think of the car so far??

I have much more work to do, but it should come out pretty good. I offered to do this because its something that I really enjoy to do. The current owner, Jack is an older gentleman, and he surely wasent going to do it. If I wouldent of stepped in and offered, our detail department would have done it, and they just wouldent have had the time to do the kind of detailing that this car needed, and deserved.

Let us know what you think, and when you have a moment if you could reply to the email I sent you, that would be great.

Thanks!!

Keith
Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 AM

Not much to update today, other then I installed the hood struts today. I can’t believe how strong they are, just one them holds the hood up. I ordered GM struts, they are the same part number as the original ones, they went on pretty easy, and work great! I also received the refinished wheels today. I am not sure if I am going to install them yet. I may end of sending them back. Scott turned me on to some wheels that only have 9,000 miles on them, and that was only summer driving only. I have seen some close up pictures of them and they look about as perfect as I am going to find. Heck, the rims have a better finish then the paint job on the car so far, so I think I am going to grab them, and just send the reman's back.

I also have 4 Goodyear Eagle RSA's coming as well which are Z rated tires. Kinda salty @ over 2 bills each, but the tread design is about as close as I am going to get to the Gatorback’s which I am slowly losing hope of ever finding new. If I do find some new and not dry rotted, I will just sell the RSA's. I’m sure someone would like to have them, they will have zero miles on them, lol.

By next Tuesday, or Wed, I should have the hood insulation, the antenna repair kit, tires, and the new lug nuts. The wheels I’m not sure when I will get those, I will know more on Saturday... After work on Saturday, I plan to put a few more coats of wax on the car to help deepen the shine, and also intend to use a new clay bar to help remove some of the contaminants’ in the paint. Will be a busy weekend. I also have a 01 Grand Am GT to detail and a fuel pump to install for my sister to I can sell it for her.

I will post again when I have some more news....

Keith
Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: 5L TPI

Originally Posted by tarheel
....I would also do whatever it takes to get a set of gatorbacks. This vehicle isn't a driver so the age/safety should not be a concern. The rims and tires should be original...
That's not good advice IMO. Old tires are very dangerous! They can explode right in your garage, while just being aired up by your own compressor. Tires will 'age out' after as little as 5-10 years. Do not use really old tires even if the car is just going to be in your garage.

As for the chin spoiler - my opinion is to put it on. Make your car complete so you can drive it a little. Have some fun!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:45 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Eh, new hood struts, new underhood insulation...

I think the car would have been best kept just as it was. Not cleaned, not repaired, just stored in its original state.

Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: 4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE