History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:27 9-bolt
Re: 4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE

Wow! I just came across this thread and spent the past couple of hours reading through it. If I could make a suggestion, and sorry if it's been brought up already - This car is a time capsule and as such an invaluable resource to current and future collectors. Please take pictures of EVERYTHING on the car, down to the smallest nut and bolt. This car is a living document to original hardware, hose routing, labels, factory finishes, etc. As someone who has tried to do an accurate technical restoration on an older vehicle I can vouch for how difficult some of this information is to come by. Maybe the Mods here can even dedicate a thread to this info.

And thanks for taking the time to share what you have with us. To me there's nothing more interesting than seeing such a well preserved piece of automotive history.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not sure, gotta look it up

Originally Posted by NEW-85IROC-Z
I have been invited by another Camaro forum to take this car to MI the end of this month to a Camaro car show. I have to check with the boss to make sure it’s ok, and if so, make sure its show ready by that time as well. I would really love to take this car out and show everyone. I think it would be a great time. I will post to let everyone know if I will be taking it or not..
Hey Lucky Keith

Will you drive it or trailer it?

Rick
Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by KnottyBuoyz
Hey Lucky Keith

Will you drive it or trailer it?

Rick
Rick,

Just talked to the boss today, and Im pretty sure he is going to let me take it to MI to the Camaro show. It will be trailered however.

I cant wait!!! I just have a lot of work to do before it's show ready. I will post some information tonight with more details on where the show will be held, times, ect...The email I need is at home so I will get it, and post back later with more info so the guys on Thirdgen.org can attend if they want to see the Iroc.

Will post again soon!!

Keith
Old 05-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.0 305 Carb'd
Axle/Gears: 3.23

hey before putting it back on the trailer and moving it around and stuff, i would SERIOUSLY consider disconecting the speedo cable from the tranny housing. wouldnt disconnect from back of the speedo, as you take a chance of cracking some plastic or scratching something. i know pushing it on a trailer wont use much milage, but after you take it on and off and push it in its spot, miles will start to add up. i know that 2 or 3 miles isnt really a big deal, but id take 4.4 over 8.3 if it was avoidable. PLEASE consider this.

(i know somebody else suggested this, but nobody really seemed to talk about it)
Old 05-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ca[maro]88
hey before putting it back on the trailer and moving it around and stuff, i would SERIOUSLY consider disconecting the speedo cable from the tranny housing. wouldnt disconnect from back of the speedo, as you take a chance of cracking some plastic or scratching something. i know pushing it on a trailer wont use much milage, but after you take it on and off and push it in its spot, miles will start to add up. i know that 2 or 3 miles isnt really a big deal, but id take 4.4 over 8.3 if it was avoidable. PLEASE consider this.

(i know somebody else suggested this, but nobody really seemed to talk about it)
Yes, I agree. I am going to start at least putting the car on rollers and rolling it around the shop. That way the miles will stay where they are at. I should even be able to put the car on a trailer w/out putting any miles on it with the rollers we have.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Keith
Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 PM

lol glad you agree with me, yeah the rollers were the second option i was going to suggest. is it an enclosed trailer??
Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by sleepsinshed
Wow! I just came across this thread and spent the past couple of hours reading through it. If I could make a suggestion, and sorry if it's been brought up already - This car is a time capsule and as such an invaluable resource to current and future collectors. Please take pictures of EVERYTHING on the car, down to the smallest nut and bolt. This car is a living document to original hardware, hose routing, labels, factory finishes, etc. As someone who has tried to do an accurate technical restoration on an older vehicle I can vouch for how difficult some of this information is to come by. Maybe the Mods here can even dedicate a thread to this info.

And thanks for taking the time to share what you have with us. To me there's nothing more interesting than seeing such a well preserved piece of automotive history.

Hello,

No problem, I really enjoy keeping everyone updated on the cars progress. I feel really fortunate having the opportunity to be doing this in the first place. I have taken many, many pictures of this car, and I will continue to take many more. I didn’t think of taking some really good detailed pic's for people who need info like wire routing and so forth. I will do that as well as video of every part of this car so other might benefit from it in the future. I would be glad to help any way that I can for the other members. It's the least I can do since everyone has been so cool here by offering their time, efforts, and knowledge.

I will make another account with some picture hosting site that allows for large full screen photos, and upload them there. That way they will be very detailed. Not like photo bucket where the pictures get resized and look horrible.

I will update you on when I have done this so you and others can check it out.

Keith
Old 05-11-2009, 05:06 PM

oh btw, i keep forgetting to ask, are you ever gonna put it on a lift and take pics of the suspension and under-body? id love to see how clean it is lol. not everyday you get a chance to see the under carriage of a brand new 85 IROC.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ca[maro]88
oh btw, i keep forgetting to ask, are you ever gonna put it on a lift and take pics of the suspension and under-body? id love to see how clean it is lol. not everyday you get a chance to see the under carriage of a brand new 85 IROC.

I have pictures of the undercarrage that I took when our guy removed the fuel tank. I just have to dig them up, and post them. I will try and do that tonight, if I run out of time, I will post them on Tuesday.

It has some rust on the cast iron parts like most cars, but the body itself is very clean! You just gave me an Idea. When we put the tires on it, and already have it in the air, Im going to dust off the undercarrage. Wouldent hurt to clean up the body, springs, shocks ect...

Keith
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I would suggest that you NEVER consider unhooking the speedometer cable unless there is a mechanical reason to do so. Once it's known that it's been taken off for even the slightest amount of time or for the most innocent of reasons, 4.3 miles becomes illegitimate.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro
Engine: No
Transmission: No
Axle/Gears: No

When you push it on and off of a trailer, it gets pushed just as far forward as it does backwards, right?
So, assuming all you do with it is push it on and off of a trailer, and it gets pushed as far backwards as it does forwards, the miles will never add up.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 AM

okay yeah but using rollers just doesnt add ANY miles!! so using the rollers is the best way to avoid adding miles. not rolling it backwards.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by gregsz-28
When you push it on and off of a trailer, it gets pushed just as far forward as it does backwards, right?
So, assuming all you do with it is push it on and off of a trailer, and it gets pushed as far backwards as it does forwards, the miles will never add up.

Think about what you just wrote...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Kevin84Z28
Think about what you just wrote...
What's wrong with what I just wrote?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

What's wrong with what I just wrote?

Reverse does not takes miles off the odometer, or there would be lots of 4 miles cars......PLEASE tell us (or at least lie & come up with an good excuse) that you don't believe that happens.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

haven't you watched ferris buellers day off?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 AM

Car: 91 & 92 Z28 Vert
Engine: 91 305 92 383
Transmission: TCI Streetfighter 700r4

ferris buellers day off isn't for real? You can't steal your dads antique ferrari and jack it up ,put in in reverse and wait for the odometer to tick the miles away you put on it joy riding. Come on really I never knew
Old 05-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Please tell me ya'll are kidding.....

#1.....Even in the movie, the miles didn't come off.
#2.....Your basing your thoughts on a MOVIE??? Are Transformers real? Is The Matrix real? Is Indiana Jones real? Is Catwoman/Spider Man/The Hulk real?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:20 AM

i was very much kidding just thought of ferris buellers day off
Old 05-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Supreme Member

For the most part, all of you are right, miles don't come off of the odometer like that, and I never said they did.
It is the tenths that do. The odometer will not turn back past the 'zero' on the tenths digit on the odometer, but they will turn back to it.
So, as long as it never goes past 4.9 miles, it can be put back to 4.0 miles by turning the wheels backwards.
I have an '85 Camaro with the 85 mph speedo, and I have tested this with other Camaro 85 mph speedos, so I am sure I am right about this.
Why would you treat your own opinions/fictional movie as fact, when most of you have never even looked into this?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 AM

Why would you tamper with the odometer in any way what so ever with this car?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Carb'd
Transmission: 5 Speed

Rick,

Just talked to the boss today, and Im pretty sure he is going to let me take it to MI to the Camaro show. It will be trailered however.

I cant wait!!! I just have a lot of work to do before it's show ready. I will post some information tonight with more details on where the show will be held, times, ect...The email I need is at home so I will get it, and post back later with more info so the guys on Thirdgen.org can attend if they want to see the Iroc.

Will post again soon!!

Keith
I think my heart just skipped a beat or two because I know of the show that you are talking about and I have been registered to go for some time now. I dont know if your trying to keep this a surprise or not but there is a thread started on TGO in the MI area with all the information on this show. I can post a link to that thread if you would like me too! I know you have been "thanked" many times for keeping us all updated but this is just amazing especially if I will have a chance to see it in real life at this show I cant hardly wait! Nice work Keith this car is looking great and I am so glad it went to a great home!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9"

I am very glad to see an update on this car after reading about it as find of the month. I am also glad to see that the car is to be as original as possible and that rollers will be used to preserve mileage. Has any decision been made as to the removal of the PDI items like the plastics, stickers, labels, and windshield writing?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM
TGO Supporter

For the most part, all of you are right, miles don't come off of the odometer like that, and I never said they did.
It is the tenths that do. The odometer will not turn back past the 'zero' on the tenths digit on the odometer, but they will turn back to it.
So, as long as it never goes past 4.9 miles, it can be put back to 4.0 miles by turning the wheels backwards.
I have an '85 Camaro with the 85 mph speedo, and I have tested this with other Camaro 85 mph speedos, so I am sure I am right about this.
Why would you treat your own opinions/fictional movie as fact, when most of you have never even looked into this?
Wow, he's right. The tenths do come off...My apologies. I have the 140 MPH pace car speedo.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM

idc what you all say, transformers is real.....
Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Hello everyone,

Sorry I dident post info about the car show last night. I ended up working on the finish to about 5am. Took a clay bar to the paint and re-waxed it again. Looks great!!

Anyway here are some some info about the car show at the end of this month. If you want to see this Iroc, be sure to register to attend if you can.

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/att...8&d=1239741957

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25619

If you have any questions, email founder/owner Brian Meissen. His user name over there is "meissen".

I have a lot of work to do in a little time to get this car ready for the show, so I might not be posting tons of pictures, but I will post some with the tires/wheels on and the cars paint slicked up. The paint has come a very long way since you guys last seen it. It has taken me many, many hours of hand waxing to make this finish look like this. There was never any machines, or buffers used, just good ol hand waxing. I dident want to take a chance to swirl marks, or having someone burn through the paint with a buffer.

Now to try and find an enclosed trailer to haul it in.....I better start looking. I have a few people I can call, but if I cant find an enclosed, it might have to go on a open trailer to this show. Oh, by the way, there might be a possibility that this car will appear at the show with a new set of "correct" Gatorbacks on them. We will have to see what happens....

Talk to everyone soon!!

Keith
Old 05-12-2009, 03:39 PM

Rick,

Will post again soon!!

Keith
Thanks for the reply Keith. I'd love to see some photos of the car at the show. I'm sure it'll get plenty of attention.

Back in '87 I took possession of a brand new IROC-Z 5.7lt. TPI with 4.3 kilometers on it. I was there at the dealership when they rolled it off the carrier and watched every second of the dealer prep. When they wanted to drive it as part of their PDI I insisted it was me behind the wheel. I don't think they ever had a new car buyer as **** retentative as me!

I'm slowly getting mine back although by a more circuitious route.....

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/thir...e-project.html

I wish you luck with your brand new IROC. I remember those days fondly.

Rick
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Hello all,

Well, I just checked the tracking number on the wheels from Canada, and they will be here on Wed!! No matter if and when I get all "new" Gatorback's on this car, I am going to mount the new RSA's up so I can get them very nasty junk yard wheels and tires off of this car and see what it looks like.

Wednesday is supposed to be cloudy and rainy the first part of the day, and then there is a chance the sun will pop out in the afternoon. If that happens, I am going to take some pictures of the car in the sun with the wheels and tires on so everyone can see what it looks like now.

I think you will see the paint is a few shades darker and has much more of a gloss shine on it compared to the last pictures I took. The power antenna repair kit is also going on tomorrow as well so I can put the fuse back in the fuse box, and the cover back on.

I will post again probably in the afternoon unless something goes wrong like the wheels didn’t show up, or they were damaged during shipment (Let’s hope and pray that they are ok)!!!!

Talk to ya soon guys!

Keith
Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Uploading some pictures now guys of the Iroc with the wheels on!! I took 2 sets of pictues. The first set is when I found out my camera was messed with by someone here and fixed the settings so they look good. The only problem is that the sun started going away. It has been raining here all day so I got lucky at the end of the day the sun came out, too bad my camera was screwed up.

Anyway, the second set you will see that the sun is out, but the pictures are too bright and dident turn out very good, but you should get an idea of what the car looks like with the wheels on, and the paint looking much better.

They will be done in just a few minutes...Stay tuned!!

Keith

Last edited by NEW-85IROC-Z; 05-13-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Here ya go guys. Let me know what you think so far???

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...0Pictures%201/

Keith
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 PM

Here is the second set of pictures...Note the wheels look pretty good considering the age. I do have to polish and wax them yet so they will only look better when I am done...

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...0Pictures%202/

Keith
Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 PM

That's sweet!

"There's nothin' quite like the smell of a new car, well except maybe for ******"
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Keith, the car is looking SWEEEEET!! You've done a great job. You mentioned a few times that photobucket reduces the picture size. I clicked on the picture and it went huge. Is that the original size? or is it still smaller than the original? Looking forward to seeing the front ground effects on the car. I may have to fly into IN to help finish the detailing!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Keith, the car is looking SWEEEEET!! You've done a great job. You mentioned a few times that photobucket reduces the picture size. I clicked on the picture and it went huge. Is that the original size? or is it still smaller than the original? Looking forward to seeing the front ground effects on the car. I may have to fly into IN to help finish the detailing!!!!

Yea, sorry about that. I was playing with the mega pixel setting on our Sony camera to see if I could get some better looking pictures or not. I ended up taking a bunch of pictures, but filtering out the better looking ones to post. Some are 5 mp and some are 3. I didn’t realize that until I got home and read your post. I think on Thursday I will re upload them and choose the 1024x768 size on photo bucket and see if that is better. I set them for 1mb file size but I think that was a bit much. I’m not sure if the site will allow me to do this, but I will try to adjust the size tonight and see what happens.

Hey, feel free to fly in. I think you could put the finishing touches on the paint that it needs with the equipment that you have. My arms are getting tired of "wax on, wax off" LOL

Take care Scott, and thanks for the advice today!!

Keith
Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Photobucket is letting me resize the pictures, so I am doing it now..They will all be resized to they dont take up 150% of your screen. LOL

Keith
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

Just remember leave that chin spoiler off the car.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Looks great Keith!!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:06 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: 5L TPI

Originally Posted by Kevin84Z28
I would suggest that you NEVER consider unhooking the speedometer cable unless there is a mechanical reason to do so. Once it's known that it's been taken off for even the slightest amount of time or for the most innocent of reasons, 4.3 miles becomes illegitimate.
100% agreed. It's also against the law to tamper with an odometer. It would definitely hurt the car's value as well. It will actually be worth more down the line if the miles go up a little over time, since it maintains the car's "credibility" as a low-miles survivor.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:42 AM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z28

dang still wish i coulda had that ride...id do a 350 swap or somethin (700r4 too) and drive the wheels off that baby....thats what it was built for...someone decided not to use the car for its purpose for about 20 somethin years...makes it even more enjoyable for me!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 AM

Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355 Phase 2 Bowtie heads
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342

great job, the car looks ready for the shows!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 AM

Car: 1986 Iroc z
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4

Just an FYI on the 4.3 mile IROC-Z from eBay. I have been in contact with the new owner. They have no interest in joining or communicating on message forums as the gentleman is an older guy from Indiana and he is a car collector. The new owner has another person communicating with me and they are asking for help in the restoration of the car.

It seems the car went to a good home and the new owner is trying to locate original, unused rims so that they will be as new as the car. I was told that they will video tape and photograph the progress of the restoration. They just received the car from NJ yesterday. They are really excited to find out what's under all the dirt and they've already determined that the interior stills smells new. I will continue to update as I hear more from them.
Well I know that transwheel.com has new or refurbished rims that are probably as close to NEW as hes gonna get. You might want to suggest that site to him.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1986iroc350
Well I know that transwheel.com has new or refurbished rims that are probably as close to NEW as hes gonna get. You might want to suggest that site to him.
Not sure if you've been reading the posts or even looking at the pictures he's posted, but the new rims are on! And they only have about 9000 miles so they are pretty NEW!
Attached Thumbnails 4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE-untitled.jpg  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1986iroc350

As another member had said, the Iroc now has correct wheels on it. They were purchased new about 9 years ago from a guy in Canada, and were only driven in the summer. In fact, I just received an email from him this morning and he included a picture of (the donor car) his 91 Camaro with these wheels on it. He did not care for the 91 style of wheels, so he bought some new ones that were the older design to put on his car. Years later he decided to put some larger wheels on the car which look really great I think. I included a picture with the larger wheels as well.

Anyway, one of the first places I checked was Transwheel for refinished wheels and they only had 1, yes, 1 wheel in stock. And that wheel was not even finished yet. I did some more checking online and a few days later I found some refinished wheels at a great price! We were in the middle of putting those wheels on when I got a lead from Scott that a guy in Canada had some really nice low mileage wheels for sale. It was a chore for the guy to ship them to me, and I could tell he really did not want to do it, but he did it anyway. He did a great job packing them up and was very quick shipping them. I am going to keep him updated on the car has well.

PLEASE NOTE: If anyone knows of any NOS wheels, PLEASE let me know as well as New Goodyear Gatorback tires for this 85 IROC. I won’t give up looking until these items are installed on the car. What we have now is good for now, but again, brand new wheels and tires are the goal. Since the car is not going to be driven in our possession, the possibility of unsafe and/or older tires installed on the car won’t be an issue.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails 4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE-im000755.jpg   4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE-im000827.jpg  
Old 05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

The car is looking great! All it needs is the ground effect attatched and the correct tires to be complete!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Car: Too many

Why don't you bring it out for Thirdgen Fest? We'll make sure we keep the "Best Camaro: Stock" trophy set aside for you.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

If you don't end up with "new" Gatorbacks, then maybe you can talk to this owner OR whoever purchases the car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 05-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Don't want those Gatorbacks!!! They have 37k miles. Can't have too much tread left and would not look right on a 4 mile car, or 8 mile now, who knows??!?!?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

Don't want those Gatorbacks!!! They have 37k miles. Can't have too much tread left and would not look right on a 4 mile car, or 8 mile now, who knows??!?!?
I know they have some miles to them, but if finding some newer ones becomes hard, it's just an option. Plus i'm sure whoever buys the car will sell them cheap.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z28

wats the difference if no one is gonna drive the car neway. might as well put the 4 junk tires it had back on it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!

No need to throw more good money after bad. What I mean by that is the wheels you purchased for the car are not only correct, but they are nice and in perfect shape. The Eagles were also a good choice for tires. You did well !

However, now should be the time to install the front ground effect and take the car to shows (on a trailer, hopefully an enclosed one with LOW ramps as to not scratch the freshly installed front ground effect).

Quick Reply: 4.3 mile IROC-Z on eBay - UPDATE