History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

The Car Collection - For Sale.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Car Collection - For Sale.....

Originally Posted by david068513
whats the fireAM about? I haven't heard about them before. Didn't know they got a 6 speed.
The FireAm is a creation from a guy named Herb Adams. It's a 1 of 1 car. Most people don't know who Herb is but they know much of his work. Herb was an engineer for Pontiac and a chief engineer at SLP. He is considered the father of the 1969 Trans Am and the Super Duty cars. In the 70's he started a company called VSE or Very Special Equipment and sold high performance parts over the counter for the second gen F-Bodies. If you go over to TransAmcountry.com or google and search for Herb Adams, FireAM or VSE you can find some good information. I'm not a FireAm expert but from what I understand there were only about 6 - 8 or so "FireAm's" actually built by Herb and most of those were from the 70's. The rest of the FireAm's (or Cheverra for Camaro's) were built after the fact by ordering over the counter parts. Some consider these cars on the same level as Nickey, Baldwin-Motion, etc.

This particular FireAm is the last FireAM that Herb built. It is based off a 1986 Trans Am and considered a Phase 3 package. From what I understand Herb built the car in conjunction with Tom Goad, a special projects pontiac engineer. It was built specifically for the 1986 one lap of america and a test bed for many prototype pieces.

Stats:

1986 Trans Am - FireAm conversion included.
- TPI 350 Installed with what I'm told are experimental pontiac aluminum heads (I have yet to pop the covers to verify officially.) Camaro intake with funky one off headers (among other things.)
- ZF 6 speed transmission - 4 years before making into production in the corvette.
- Special two tone paint with custom spoiler
- Aluminum hood
- Brembo Brakes
- Dana 44 rear end
- Lowered springs - koni shocks
- One off custom two piece wheels
- Fuel Cell
- Custom seats and seat frames
- Full cage
- Fabricated (and sort of cheesy) console
- Experimental GM tags
- This car was never supposed to make it into the public

This car is in essence what I consider the first Firehawk. It's one of the best handling F-Bodies I've ever driven. An interesting note - sometime in the 90's Herb borrowed the car to test for his SCCA license. There's more but I don't want to put you guys to sleep!

Here are a couple pics.

Name:  1200945670.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  FireamInterior5.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  105.1 KB
Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Dude, you arent putting me to sleep...youre keeping me awake at my desk!!!

I want to know more about that car...you really could/should write a book haha. Lots of big pictures and tell all the stories/history behind the cars. I could literally read that stuff all day long.

Im sure the story of how you aquired all the cars would be just as entertaining. I think I speak for everyone when I say there is NO WAY you could talk too much or post too many detailed pictures of these cars!

How about some underhood shots of that FireAM?

J.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: factory T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 limited slip

I love that they went with the tear drop hood on that fiream. That's a pretty amazing third gen imo.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 WS6 T/A 65,000 miles
Engine: 5.0L vin H stock, 406SBC right now
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Corp. 3.73

Maybe I'm off base or just stary eyed, but it seems like this should be a sticky in some form. There are rare and historical cars here that should be photographed and documented for the interest/education of the members on the board. As far as the OP selling (or getting rid of) these cars isn't a sin, though I feel bad for him as a person trying to move something he hasn't time to enjoy.

I enjoy my TA, though it's nothing special, and I know a little about the cars listed here thanks in some part to the board. I have been a gearhead since I was a kid, as were a lot of people on here too I guess. I like looking around the site to see the styles people come up with, the lesser known/rare cars, but every now and then a note worthy vehicle shows up. I like that Greg knows about his cars and can pass the info and facts on to us. To a small degree he is a curator at a museum maybe? Hence my thoughts about sticky-ing or somehow preserving these few cars in more than just a thread that will be buried somewhere down the line.

Thanks to the Mods for keeping this thread in History, and thanks to Greg for sharing his cars and info with us (sale ad or not pal )

ps: BTW, feel free to post all the pics and info you can Greg!!

GICATA/Lewis
Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Thank you for posting the pictures and information. I find it interesting as well. To me things like the aluminum hood, headers and console and your description of how it handles and its history make the car more interesting. Seeing cars that look like they came off the factory floor is one thing. But these examples have character.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Yeah, he's got an amazing collection. I'm honestly waiting for him to pull out the "angry poodle" Camaro soon ('89 454 prototype), as it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he had that car as well....
Old 11-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Guys, this is sincerely flattering. I truly didn't think many others would care and enjoy these cars as much as I do. Over the years I've had many people laugh at me and ask why in the world do I spend money and enjoy those type of cars? All I could ever do was laugh and say these were the cars I always dreamed about when I was a kid.

As I read through your comments I have to agree that the stories about how the cars came to be are in many cases more fascinating then the actual cars. I'm sort of a sentimental type guy so the only reason I could even think of letting go is because no one will ever be able to take away the memories and friendships I have acquired while rolling down this adventure.

The FireAm story is kind of interesting. I have to admit that I didn't know who Herb Adams was and I sure never heard of a FireAm before stumbling onto this little gem. I remember the afternoon I was on the phone with a friend, chatting about cars when there was a ton of work to do at the office. We were talking Firehawks and I said I was looking for a spare 6 speed just to have for the Hawks. He said...that reminds me.....I know of firebird that has a 6 speed and a special rear end. He began to tell me the story of a guy who purchased this particular vehicle as a track car. Something about the car was supposed to be crushed by GM but this guy had it and used it for local road racing. I thought "great".... this sounds like a perfect parts car to keep around should I need something for one of the Hawks.

I finally got in touch w/ the guy and sure enough, there was this old Trans Am setting up on a car lift among several Porsche GT3's and other track cars. This was a lame duck (so to speak) and didn't fit within his impressive collection. Pictures were sent. The center of the wheels were painted silver instead of gold and the decals were removed. I asked him why he removed all the stickers and he said as soon as he got the car home he paid someone to remove that awful 80's stuff. He knew the car was unique but didn't know how truly special it was (and neither did I at the time.)

Well, the car wasn't for sale but he appreciated the other cars I collected and agreed it would fit better down here. So we came to a price that was way more than I wanted to pay....but what the heck, it sure sounded like an interesting ride. I even set on it for a couple weeks wondering if I should purchase or just move on. As soon as it arrived I was quite excited. So now the car sets in the corner of the garage sans all the stickers and showing something like 7k original miles, most of which came from the one lap of America back in 86. I'm working on the stickers and am about done. It's not perfect but it's held up very well and won't take much to bring it back to original glory.

Every car here has a story like that. My dad said I was stupid crazy for paying that much money for a red firebird (aka Firehawk #6.) My wife and I took an 18 hour road trip back home in #26 while she was 6 months pregnant (talk about a story.) The fuel pump went out on the blue 1LE in the middle of the busiest intersection in Tulsa at the same time her cell battery was dead. She was by herself with no help (it's funny now but it sure wasn't at the time.) Adventures pulling two 88 Players cars out of Canada and getting pulled over in the IMSA Camaro with no registration or insurance (and he let me go.) Good times!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

See.... THAT is an awesome story! Its amazing what people have and dont realize it. My story of how I got my car is terrible compared to that. Haha.

"Um...looked in the for sale threads..and uh...this guy was selling his car. So I paid him what he wanted. And...I drove to ohio to get it. I stopped for gas on the way home... Thats about it" haha.

Thats the biggest thing that Im afraid of if you sell it all off. The fear that we wont ever see lots of pics and hear all great stories from the new owners.

And to all the people that cant understand why you'd collect cars like this...thats ok. They arent everyones cup of tea. But just like anything, they still have a pretty large following. IM sure those people collect/do things that you think is silly. Its all the same.

J.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by t_towner
I asked him why he removed all the stickers and he said as soon as he got the car home he paid someone to remove that awful 80's stuff....

So now the car sets in the corner of the garage sans all the stickers and showing something like 7k original miles, most of which came from the one lap of America back in 86. I'm working on the stickers and am about done. It's not perfect but it's held up very well and won't take much to bring it back to original glory....
Where are you obtaining the stickers for such a rarity? It took me the longest time just to find this original sticker for my '76 Hurst Trans Am restoration, Click Here, so I can imagine what you must be going through to find yours. I tell ya, here I thought Rich had the rarest 3rd gen collection, Click Here, (although he does have some unbelievably rare TTA's), but your collection really is incredible....
Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Where are you obtaining the stickers for such a rarity? It took me the longest time just to find this original sticker for my '76 Hurst Trans Am restoration, Click Here, so I can imagine what you must be going through to find yours. I tell ya, here I thought Rich had the rarest 3rd gen collection, Click Here, (although he does have some unbelievably rare TTA's), but your collection really is incredible....
Rich has some amazing cars! Esp Milt's old convertible!

As far as the FireAm stickers go....I fortunately ran into someone who's already gone through the pain and has been a big help along the way!

BTW, that 76 is going to be a killer car once you finish!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

G,
Did I ever send you the pictures of the decals we took at the Nationals?

John
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am
Engine: 3.8 ltr Turbo
Transmission: 200r4

Originally Posted by t_towner
Guys, this is sincerely flattering. I truly didn't think many others would care and enjoy these cars as much as I do. Over the years I've had many people laugh at me and ask why in the world do I spend money and enjoy those type of cars? All I could ever do was laugh and say these were the cars I always dreamed about when I was a kid.

As I read through your comments I have to agree that the stories about how the cars came to be are in many cases more fascinating then the actual cars. I'm sort of a sentimental type guy so the only reason I could even think of letting go is because no one will ever be able to take away the memories and friendships I have acquired while rolling down this adventure.

The FireAm story is kind of interesting. I have to admit that I didn't know who Herb Adams was and I sure never heard of a FireAm before stumbling onto this little gem. I remember the afternoon I was on the phone with a friend, chatting about cars when there was a ton of work to do at the office. We were talking Firehawks and I said I was looking for a spare 6 speed just to have for the Hawks. He said...that reminds me.....I know of firebird that has a 6 speed and a special rear end. He began to tell me the story of a guy who purchased this particular vehicle as a track car. Something about the car was supposed to be crushed by GM but this guy had it and used it for local road racing. I thought "great".... this sounds like a perfect parts car to keep around should I need something for one of the Hawks.

I finally got in touch w/ the guy and sure enough, there was this old Trans Am setting up on a car lift among several Porsche GT3's and other track cars. This was a lame duck (so to speak) and didn't fit within his impressive collection. Pictures were sent. The center of the wheels were painted silver instead of gold and the decals were removed. I asked him why he removed all the stickers and he said as soon as he got the car home he paid someone to remove that awful 80's stuff. He knew the car was unique but didn't know how truly special it was (and neither did I at the time.)

Well, the car wasn't for sale but he appreciated the other cars I collected and agreed it would fit better down here. So we came to a price that was way more than I wanted to pay....but what the heck, it sure sounded like an interesting ride. I even set on it for a couple weeks wondering if I should purchase or just move on. As soon as it arrived I was quite excited. So now the car sets in the corner of the garage sans all the stickers and showing something like 7k original miles, most of which came from the one lap of America back in 86. I'm working on the stickers and am about done. It's not perfect but it's held up very well and won't take much to bring it back to original glory.

Every car here has a story like that. My dad said I was stupid crazy for paying that much money for a red firebird (aka Firehawk #6.) My wife and I took an 18 hour road trip back home in #26 while she was 6 months pregnant (talk about a story.) The fuel pump went out on the blue 1LE in the middle of the busiest intersection in Tulsa at the same time her cell battery was dead. She was by herself with no help (it's funny now but it sure wasn't at the time.) Adventures pulling two 88 Players cars out of Canada and getting pulled over in the IMSA Camaro with no registration or insurance (and he let me go.) Good times!
t_towner - What did you decide to do with your fantastic collection?
Dave
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by GTADave
t_towner - What did you decide to do with your fantastic collection?
Dave
Good question. As of today they are all still setting quietly in the shop. I have truly come to grips with selling the whole shooting match should the right opportunity come around. I've talked seriously with 2 different guys who have the means to purchase but I haven't really pushed or been overly motivated, nor have we come up w/ a price. (I mean seriously....what's all this crap worth?)

It's just that in a poor market like this I could take the funds and look for some phenomenal business opportunities vs cars setting in the corner?

Bottom line, nothing yet....who knows.....and won't be sad if I keep 'em.

Greg
Old 12-05-2009, 01:20 PM

Car: 91 GTA & 92 GTA & 92 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI & 350 TPI & 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 & 3.23 & 3.23

Email sent.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I honestly can't imagine putting a value on some of these cars. To the historical world; they are priceless.

I hope they can all stay together!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Car: Trans Am, Corvette
Engine: LB9, LT1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60
Axle/Gears: 373, 259

Well T, I pm'ed you my feelings. But another idea just came to mind. Ever think of starting a Thirdgen f-body museum of sorts? Its may be a good Business opportunity.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: basic third gens
Engine: that I like
Transmission: to restore
Axle/Gears: and enjoy

The blue '90 1LE 5-speed... Would this happen to be the car that was on the cover of Super Chevy back in the day (probably '90)? Just wondering.

My wife would love that one too, but I'm sure I wouldn't have enough money.

Also, whichever way this ends up going, all that matters in the end is that you are happy
Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Car: All of them
Engine: zz4 350 with AFR 195's
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Greg,

Have you considered a coffee table book for " us" oddball collectors / enthusiusts? I would be willing to pay 150.00 for a historically accuret book with lots of pics / real life story's etc....

Would this help keep the collection together in your hands?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

Originally Posted by 874ME
Greg,

Have you considered a coffee table book for " us" oddball collectors / enthusiusts? I would be willing to pay 150.00 for a historically accuret book with lots of pics / real life story's etc....
i second that!!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Greg, truly the most amazing collection I've seen or heard of. I'm more of a Camaro person myself, but some of those Firebirds are incredible! I just want to add to the other comments that others have already posted and say thank for even creating this thread. Truly amazing!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:03 PM

You truley have worked hard to come up with that collection. And I would stop calling it collection right now and call it "Piece of history".

I am sure if not now ... in the future there would be other proud TG owners who will come to a point in their life they would have to start thinking of doing the same....

so this is just an spur of the moment idea.....

What about an idea of museum/consortium of some sort.

Start an organization and let people buy into it. Yes you would have to be paid what the collection worth it to you - your share.

Rules would be set on what the members rights are and how they will be allowed to buy into it

If its a success more cars can be added into it. Restorations can be started on some of the cars.

To keep it going, some kind of revenue has to be generated, donations of GM, PHS etc. the state where the museum would be hosted could help. Sell tickets for museum tours and maybe an anual gathering. Donations from vendors like yearone, Hawks, SLP etc.

Maybe even TGO.org could be tied into it and help with revenue to keep it going.

Maybe a couple of TV airings could help.

I am sure figuring all this out would need a lot of effort, knowledge time and money.

But for a start all the members here can start brainstorming, going thru their contact list and knowledge base.

I am in telecom, so something like a IEEE organization to get this idea off the ground.

Good luck and hope you find a way to keep the history together!!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM

What a great collection up for grabs! I definitely would be more than interested to see one out and about next summer at a show! One of the old moderators from TGO (and from Tulsa) built a BEAUTIFUL red Hawk clone that, while looking at your pictures, brings back good memories. That car beared the drivetrain that is now in my Monte. I hope for the best for the future of your buisness and also the future of your collection!

-Brandon

Last edited by 85mcss; 12-20-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM

greg,
its been a while since ive seen any of the hawks, but like most of the people here id love to see them again. ill never forget waiting at the light at 71st and 169 and hearing the IMSA hawk coming under the overpass with your heavy right foot on the throttle! man she sounded amazing! there is no doubt about it, that car has some POWER goin on under the hood. also recall you carrying the insurance and registration for the 92 #6 hawk just in case you got pulled over you were hoping you could talk your way out of it. lol speaking of that day, do you happen to have any photos from that get together? if you do, can you email them to me? hopefully we can do it again sometime, even if you dont have a hawk anymore when the day comes. those cars are always good times. would really hate to see you let them all go greg.

karl
Old 12-22-2009, 03:09 PM

Car: 88 Camaro V6
Transmission: T5

T_towner, just read this thread. All respect from overseas both for the collection and the mental attitude.
Knowing how rare camaro's are over here, you'll may understand I feel very proud just to own a V6. Still have some place on though for just one more should you really not get rid of them
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Hey Guys, since many of you were asking via PM I thought I'd give you a quick update on the collection. As it sets right now, there are all still setting in the shop, nice and sound. After much debate I finally put a price on the collection a few days ago. If they sell I'll be quite sad but I feel it will be a fair deal for all. There's no official deal yet but it's kind of funny how a 3rd person has suddenly stepped into the picture with an interesting offer. Should they sell I'll make sure they go to a good home. I've come to the point of letting them go....if it's time.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:54 PM

Car: 1990 IROC-Z 1LE
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

You could pay one of those local company a few hundred dollars to detail them all out. Get some cheap velvet ropes set up around them in your warehouse. Getting some signage made, like the ones at the car show describing what each car is and what is so special about it, set that up next to each vehicle.Then you could charge all of us $25 (or whatever) to come do a walk-through tour and let us view a piece of history. This would give you some idea if there would be a viable business in doing this. I think Saturday only, or possibly Saturday-Sunday. I doubt Mon-Fri would be worth it being open.

I am the guy who bought Randy's car locally, we have met once in Owasso that day your brother-in-law was looking to buy that one car. My name is Chris, if you remember. I would love to help with this in the off hours if you are interested.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 AM

I just read this whole thread... what happened to the cars?? Do you still have them all?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Car: 87 player's trans am a4u (pepsi car
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42

If selling sepratly, please p.m me the $$ per car, as the budget might allow one more. Good luck Greg.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX

Its been awhile. Anymore sell? Or they all still nice and snug at home?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 PM

Car: 85 z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4

WOW.... thats all i can really say. this is honestly one of the most amasing third gen collections that i have ever seen. thank you for sharing it with us and good luck. if these cars do sell i hope them go to a home where they will be just as loved and appreciated as they have been.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:07 PM

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

just curious.... update on the collection? still all together?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

wow thread ends on a real cliffhanger there, i gotta know where all these beauties are, or if hes gotten anymore of them
Old 02-18-2021, 08:21 AM
Want a title? Post!

Car: 1986,1989 Iroc z
Engine: 305’s

Just stumbled upon this thread.Curious to know if they ever got sold?🤔🤔