History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Do I have a california car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
Do I have a california car?

Last week I was replacing my heater core, and I found a parking pass from Disneyland (Anaheim, CA) inside the heater ducting. So I know the car has at least been to CA. Also, the PROM code is AKHK, which is listed as california emissions. I can't be sure if it's original, but it is the correct year, transmission, and axle ratio for my car, so I assume it is. Is there any way to find out for sure? I'm thinking of pulling a carfax report to see where it was originally sold. Also, what all is different about the california PROM, and the car in general? I thought the CA cars had dual cats, but I only have one. Maybe only the 350 cars got the dual cats?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Re: Do I have a california car?

There is not enough of a difference worth talking about. I think on 86 the prom and the vacuum valve for the charcoal canister are different. Also, many of these were made and sold with the so-called 'california' emissions package anyway, regardless of where they were. That would not mean it was definitely sold in CA.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Yor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 15th Ann. T/A
Engine: 350 Goodwrench
Transmission: T5 (Not factory, possibly rebuilt)
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Do I have a california car?

I'm no expert, but I read, a lot, when it comes to Technical data on Camaros/Firebirds.
If you're just looking to see if it was MADE it California the 11th Vin number/letter should be a L, which is the Van Nuys plant. As an 88 I believe ALL camaros and firebirds were made there, as they closed the Norwood plant the previous year (vin N specified the Norwood plant).

Not sure if that's what you're looking for per-say, but as for the dual cat option, N10 was the RPO code, and I believe it was not required in California emissions suprisingly, apparently adding the 2nd cat increased HP by roughly 10, and was only on L89's if I remember right..

Like I said I'm still a bit of a noob with 3rd gens, but I know quite a bit from research I do for the sake of doing it. lol.

None of what I'm talking about really has to do with where it was sold, but I'm assuming you could look that up somehow with your VIN
and whatnot.