History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Early thirdgen rear cargo cover panel - why was it not offered on later years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Early thirdgen rear cargo cover panel - why was it not offered on later years?

Been hitting the junkyards lately and decided to buy the 82-84(or 85?) hard plastic rear cargo cover panels for each of my later thirdgens that didn't have them. To install them, I had to also get the 82-84 interior piece that covers the rear hatch mechanism and will need to fab up some brackets that have bolts coming out of them to bolt the panel down. I found the parts in hardtop cars so I assume they were offered on all early thirdgens?

As someone who's been daily driving thirdgens for 13 years, I think these early cargo covers are one of the coolest things my thirdgens never had. Even though one of my cars has the roll-away cargo cover for t-tops, I still would like to have the extra hidden compartment that the panel cover would provide in hiding stuff when I open the hatch.

Anyone know why they were not installed on later thirdgens? I think its funny that GM kind of went back to this design on the 4th gens for their cargo covers.

Last edited by Firebat; 08-01-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi
Re: Early thirdgen rear cargo cover panel - why was it not offered on later years?

I know the rear cargo door was included with the Camaro Delco/Bose sound system from 1987 up to the 1992 model year. Prior to that it was part of a custom interior package. A lot of Berlinetta's that I have seen have them. I'm not that versed on Firebirds but some people on here have them on their 1987 on up vehicles from the factory.

Last edited by MY87LT; 08-01-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Early thirdgen rear cargo cover panel - why was it not offered on later years?

I see, so it was just semi-rare or rare on later years. Here are some pics of a cover panel that I got from the salvage yard.
Attached Thumbnails Early thirdgen rear cargo cover panel - why was it not offered on later years?-102_0694.jpg   Early thirdgen rear cargo cover panel - why was it not offered on later years?-102_0695.jpg  

Last edited by Firebat; 08-01-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Doesn't look too bad. Looks like a good vacuuming and some Armor All to bring back the shine to the plastic part.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Firebird, 1989 Vette, 1995 GP

My 86 Firebird has this.

Joel
Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

I had one on my old 88 camaro sport coupe
Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Keep in mind the rear trim panel in the trunk changed in 86 to clear the power trunk pulldown. 82-85 trim panels won't fit an 86-92. The cover is really redundant with the roll up shade. It was one of those mostly pointless things that went away, like the console clock and the overhead console.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by Drew
It was one of those mostly pointless things that went away, like the console clock and the overhead console.
Perhaps, but cool nonetheless, IMO.

JamesC
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 pontiac trans am
Engine: Procharged 5.7l
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: stock 9 bolt 3.71

That Is cool. When I was young a foolish I made a panel for my 85 firebird like that to hold my 12" subs. All it really provided was a good handle to steel two sub's at the same time. lol

None the less I really like this panel.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

It may have been excessive to have the cargo shade and a locking cover, but then again so were the 80's and early 90's.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

I might add that the third gen one's were made a lot better than the standard 4th gen ones...the third gen has the large hinges, while the 4th gen design has no hinges and two tiny plastic roller pins on the edges (which of course have broken on mine from having to take the cover off so many times to change taillight bulbs, dry out the carpet from soaking wet car cover, dropping things down in there, etc.).

Scored the cargo cover panel and 90% complete overhead console (can you guess what part was missing?) out of the same 86 T/A at a pull-a-part here. Heh think I got both for around $12.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Let me guess.

Took me a while to find a N.O.S. Camaro flashlight on Ebay not that long ago. You may be able to score a Firebird one.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

To address WHY it went away, the answer probably has to do with weight, redundancy, and CAFE standards.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
I might add that the third gen one's were made a lot better than the standard 4th gen ones...the third gen has the large hinges, while the 4th gen design has no hinges and two tiny plastic roller pins on the edges (which of course have broken on mine from having to take the cover off so many times to change taillight bulbs, dry out the carpet from soaking wet car cover, dropping things down in there, etc.).

Scored the cargo cover panel and 90% complete overhead console (can you guess what part was missing?) out of the same 86 T/A at a pull-a-part here. Heh think I got both for around $12.
Speaking of hinges, I think there are at least 2 different styles on the thirdgen one. I remember seeing one cover in the yard that had larger hinges than the ones I pulled from 82-84 cars. I'm thinking it was in a car that was 1985 or above but don't know for sure.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Want a title? Post!

Car: '89 RS 1 owner (*ME*)
Engine: LO3 5.0L V8
Transmission: Stock Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by MY87LT
It may have been excessive to have the cargo shade and a locking cover, but then again so were the 80's and early 90's.
Actually, it's one of only two options I didn't manage to get on my '89 RS T-Top when I bought it. It wasn't redundant at all, actually, as I quickly learned. The shade was useful for hiding what was in the boot, but the locking hatch would have offered a flat floor that could have had extra groceries, for example, such that you could get more than 8 bags in. By having the locking cover, the trunk space actually formed a useful shelf for any items that you needed to store back there.

(As an aside, the other "missing" option on my car was the remote hatch release button between the two power windows; I nearly made them add that in at the dealership when I bought the car, and now really wish I had).

My poor RS sat for the last 7 years, and is now in the process of being restored. But as a one owner, complete car, I know where it's been and she looks GORGEOUS since I had her repainted.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 PM

Car: 91 RS Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5

Bill, That trunk release button was the first thing I disconnected. I realized it was an easy way for someone to steal my subs/amps... Of course I didnt realize that until after I found my passenger side window broken and the stereo and boomtube stolen from the hatch area. The thieves popped the trunk with that convenient hatch release button.

Good thing I had just bought that car so I didnt give two ***** that they stole it. The stuff they stole was left in there from the previous owner. I installed my old stereo system in there later that week from my first camaro, the one I totaled a couple months prior.

Ive been thinking about reconnecting that switch but I dont want it to function unless the key is in the ignition for obvious reasons.

Anyone think of doing this?
Early thirdgen rear cargo cover panel - why was it not offered on later years?-cover-panel-subs.jpg
This is from "Camaro Performance Handbook" by David Shelby. Thought this looked pretty slick. Functional, however I think you'd still have to have a box or at least a partial one? underneath so it sounds good.

I had a custom box that fit perfectly in that spot with two 10's. Sounded amazing. Not just base but had great clarity too.

Last edited by CamaroRobb; 08-08-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Edited to attach picture
Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by CamaroRobb
Bill, That trunk release button was the first thing I disconnected. I realized it was an easy way for someone to steal my subs/amps... Of course I didnt realize that until after I found my passenger side window broken and the stereo and boomtube stolen from the hatch area. The thieves popped the trunk with that convenient hatch release button.

Good thing I had just bought that car so I didnt give two ***** that they stole it. The stuff they stole was left in there from the previous owner. I installed my old stereo system in there later that week from my first camaro, the one I totaled a couple months prior.

Ive been thinking about reconnecting that switch but I dont want it to function unless the key is in the ignition for obvious reasons.

Anyone think of doing this?
Attachment 223707
This is from "Camaro Performance Handbook" by David Shelby. Thought this looked pretty slick. Functional, however I think you'd still have to have a box or at least a partial one? underneath so it sounds good.

I had a custom box that fit perfectly in that spot with two 10's. Sounded amazing. Not just base but had great clarity too.
The switch could be re-wired. May have to look at the wiring diagram from the thirdgen technical articles page. Might be a little tricky since the e-brake switch disables/enables the hatch release when driving but shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. If the circuit downstream of the fuse is the only circuit off that fuse then could re-wire it at the fuse panel.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RGMBill
Actually, it's one of only two options I didn't manage to get on my '89 RS T-Top when I bought it. It wasn't redundant at all, actually, as I quickly learned. The shade was useful for hiding what was in the boot, but the locking hatch would have offered a flat floor that could have had extra groceries, for example, such that you could get more than 8 bags in. By having the locking cover, the trunk space actually formed a useful shelf for any items that you needed to store back there.

(As an aside, the other "missing" option on my car was the remote hatch release button between the two power windows; I nearly made them add that in at the dealership when I bought the car, and now really wish I had).

My poor RS sat for the last 7 years, and is now in the process of being restored. But as a one owner, complete car, I know where it's been and she looks GORGEOUS since I had her repainted.
Mine had the locking hatch by default with the Bose option. When I got my car, I did realize my car did have the cargo shade option but was missing. Luckily a buddy had and extra one at the time.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

If you sweat over someone using the switch to steal your stereo, how will you feel when they smash the hatch and take what they want? Locks and anti-theft features aren't going to stop a motivated thief.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 AM

Car: 91 RS Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5

Originally Posted by Drew
If you sweat over someone using the switch to steal your stereo, how will you feel when they smash the hatch and take what they want? Locks and anti-theft features aren't going to stop a motivated thief.
I'm not sweating the switch. It took all of a minute for me to disconnect. My first camaro didn't have it, so it wasn't like I was missing anything.

If a thief broke my hatch glass and was able to steal my subs I'd be thoroughly impressed. Do you seriously think it's that easy? The only way a thief is getting my subs is by opening the hatch.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM

So, does anyone know where to get a cargo shade repaired? the shade is pristine, but the roller assy is messed up.... anybody?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by randymoe
So, does anyone know where to get a cargo shade repaired? the shade is pristine, but the roller assy is messed up.... anybody?
unfortunately, that is the #1 reason we find them missing
Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

The hatch shade works exactly like a house roll-up shade. In SOME CASES the shade can be 're-wound' to re-apply tension on the spring inside it- allowing it to 'roll-up' again.

Doesn't always work - but somwtimes it helps !

Old 10-24-2015, 10:29 PM

Car: 1986Trans, 1979 lincoln continental
Engine: Both stock 305HO, & 400 4 barrel
Transmission: 5 speed stick, & stock
Axle/Gears: stock

Could you please send me some pics and dimensions, as I have an 86 trans am and would like to custom build this part. Thank You Tim.