History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Calling all 1989s with N10 exhaust - which month was your car built?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
Re: Calling all 1989s with N10 exhaust - which month was your car built?

Jim Mattison of PHS is the same way, almost like he is afraid that it would fall into the wrong hands...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.0L TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 5-speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.45 w/Limited Slip

Originally Posted by okfoz
Jim Mattison of PHS is the same way, almost like he is afraid that it would fall into the wrong hands...
Curious... I mean, it's not like we're dealing with national security or anything...

Perhaps we need to engage the folks at WikiLeaks to come to our aid...?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 CHEVROLET CAMARO IROC-Z G92 CPE
Engine: LB9 305 TPI V8, DUAL CATS, HUGE CAM
Transmission: T-5 SPEED
Axle/Gears: 9 BOLT BORG WARNER/3.45 RATIO

Originally Posted by chazman
I'd bet that 300-400 number is pretty accurate for Camaro. Figure 1500 total G92s for '89. Figure half the model year without N10. Figure LESS than half of those were LB9/T5.

And I've probably seen a dozen of those survivors being parted right here on this site.
Appreciate the information Chazman. That's sad. I bet some of the owners didn't even know what they had at the time or even today. Next best thing to the 1LE's in 1989 which IMO are the best 3rd Generation IROC-Z's G92's and 1LE's!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 - full intake & exhaust boltons
Transmission: Bowtie 700r4, 2400 rpm stall
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9bolt, 3.45 gears, posi

I agree. A lot of people didn't know what they had - even 10 years ago - when they sold or parted out their thirdgens.

Now that the oldest thirdgens have hit 30 years old the more desirable models have started going up in value. Even among people that are not necessarily thirdgens fans like we are.

Even now when I take my car to the GM dealer (and their are 5th gen camaros and C6 Corvettes on the lot & in the showroom) the staff always says something nice about my IROC. Alot of the people that were there remeber when they were new and that family or friends had one back in the day.

While our cars are not in the 1960's-1970's hey-day era of muscle cars our thirdgens have a following and its getting stronger as time marches on.

Specifically related to this thread - A G92 LB9 or G92 L98 thirdgen would have no problem keeping up with and beating a lot of the muscle cars from the 1960's-1970's - 100% GM factory stock form.

I know some folks don't like to hear that but its true. It would also be a lot cheaper to get a low mile Z28, IROC, Trans-Am, etc. thirdgen that was really loaded compaired to a factory original 1969 Z28.

I like 1st gens too and I'm not going to start a bashing argument - but I know with my budget I may not be able to afford a factory original 1969 Z28.

For the kind of money those cars go for you could really modify a thirdgen to the hilt and have a lot more performance. You could also easily find a used C6 Z06 (the early 2006-2007 models have really dropped in price) and have fun that way as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC G92 LB9 MK6
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MK6
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I bought the white/originally blue '89 LB9/MK6/G92 car that was for sale in August on this board. It came with the original engine and I was able to purchase the MK6 trans that had been taken out of the car. The trans was in KY and the car was in TN. Very seldom is a drivetrain reunited with a car when the pieces are in different states. A friend of mine bought it, I bought it from him before it came off of the trailer and called MGBrewer, the previous owner, and he hooked me up with the fellow who had the trans. It is all in my garage now, correct original VIN on trans and engine. I am a fan of the blue and enjoy this drivetrain combo, I did not want to see this car parted out. Thanks MGBrewer!

Last edited by B4C5.7; 10-15-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1989 G92
I bought the white/originally blue '89 LB9/MK6/G92 car that was for sale in August on this board. It came with the original engine and I was able to purchase the MK6 trans that had been taken out of the car. The trans was in KY and the car was in TN. Very seldom is a drivetrain reunited with a car when the pieces are in different states. A friend of mine bought it, I bought it from him before it came off of the trailer and called MGBrewer, the previous owner, and he hooked me up with the fellow who had the trans. It is all in my garage now, correct original VIN on trans and engine. I am a fan of the blue and enjoy this drivetrain combo, I did not want to see this car parted out. Thanks MGBrewer!
Great to hear! These G92 performance cars will be worth more then your normal IROC-Z's that are out there because of some of the 1LE stuff it has. Paint it the Original Blue Metallic and it will be worth more stock. Glad that we have these G92 Coupe IROC-Z and the cars will be going up in value once we reach that 30 year mark! Gonna be keeping mine.:
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by yaj15
I agree. A lot of people didn't know what they had - even 10 years ago - when they sold or parted out their thirdgens.

Now that the oldest thirdgens have hit 30 years old the more desirable models have started going up in value. Even among people that are not necessarily thirdgens fans like we are.

Even now when I take my car to the GM dealer (and their are 5th gen camaros and C6 Corvettes on the lot & in the showroom) the staff always says something nice about my IROC. Alot of the people that were there remeber when they were new and that family or friends had one back in the day.

While our cars are not in the 1960's-1970's hey-day era of muscle cars our thirdgens have a following and its getting stronger as time marches on.

Specifically related to this thread - A G92 LB9 or G92 L98 thirdgen would have no problem keeping up with and beating a lot of the muscle cars from the 1960's-1970's - 100% GM factory stock form.

I know some folks don't like to hear that but its true. It would also be a lot cheaper to get a low mile Z28, IROC, Trans-Am, etc. thirdgen that was really loaded compaired to a factory original 1969 Z28.

I like 1st gens too and I'm not going to start a bashing argument - but I know with my budget I may not be able to afford a factory original 1969 Z28.

For the kind of money those cars go for you could really modify a thirdgen to the hilt and have a lot more performance. You could also easily find a used C6 Z06 (the early 2006-2007 models have really dropped in price) and have fun that way as well.
I agree with you. When anyone sees mine. They always asked me. How do you keep this one so clean or wow this looks like it just came of the showroom floor new?! Just try and not explain to them that it's a 1LE G92 and TTA. Any regular person who is not into cars will just say it's just a Firebird or Camaro. Just sayin...

Finally, the third generations G92's are getting recognized and eventually the value will start going up then the normal IROC-Z you see on the streets.

Glad that I have the G92 Coupe Street Version being the 1LE Brother with some of the 1LE stuff and LB9 305 5-Speed is the way to go. Don't like an Auto in an American Sports Car even in the Muscle Cars of the 60's and 70's. The TTA, 1LE's and G92's are considered the Muscle Cars at the time. So much fun when pulling up to a stock Ford Mustang LX or GT and beat them drag racing, handling and cornering. GM puts out a better product during that era then Ford. I used to have a stock 1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5 Speed. There is no comparison. Rather have the GM product Just sayin. Enough said.

It is sad to say that yes, our cars can pass these older generation muscle cars for less money then the 1st, and 2nd Generation F-Body's.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 - full intake & exhaust boltons
Transmission: Bowtie 700r4, 2400 rpm stall
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9bolt, 3.45 gears, posi

I don't have a G92 IROC but I have made modifications to my car to where I have surpased what was available from the factory.

With minimal mods a G92 or non-G92 TPI powered thirdgen can easily beat many of the hero muscle cars of the golden era.

Truth be told a 100% bone stock L69/T-5/3.73 geared car would give a good challenge to an older 1960-1970's era muscle car all while still giving better drivability and fuel economy.

The LB9 and L98 G92 option cars just add to that performance envelop especially if you are planning to keep your car all stock.

Yes the 1LE, B4C, TTA, Firehawk cars will be at the top of thirdgen food chain. Next in line are the more mass produced G92 optioned TPI cars.

For the general going public the G92 TPI cars represent the most readily available factory performance vehicle that you could purchase at the time these cars were new. You didn't get all of the factory 1LE go fast parts with the G92 option but you got a lot more than someone like me that has a non-G92 optioned car.

Keep in mind though we are talking about 100% showroom stock cars that are in the best mechanical shape. Age, miliage, wear and tear, maintenance also play a role in the performance equation as well.

Equally important is knowing how to drive your car. People always laugh at me because I have an automatic in a performance car. That quickly changes when they see how fast my stalled automatic car jumps off the line and gets in to the powerband and stays there the entire time you are accelerating. I could make a good case for the stock 700r4 and converter not being the best for performance but aftermarket products change that equation entirely.

I've also seen a lot of folks that don't know how to drive a stick shift car well at all. A new ZR1 Corvette can make average drivers look like heros but, if you can't drive the car well to begin with the car (and all of its electronic aids) can only mask so much.

Also once we start including modified cars the performance equation won't necessarily be in a factory stock G92 equipped cars favor off the bat.

Originally Posted by 89G92CAMARO
I agree with you. When anyone sees mine. They always asked me. How do you keep this one so clean or wow this looks like it just came of the showroom floor new?! Just try and not explain to them that it's a 1LE G92 and TTA. Any regular person who is not into cars will just say it's just a Firebird or Camaro. Just sayin...

Finally, the third generations G92's are getting recognized and eventually the value will start going up then the normal IROC-Z you see on the streets.

Glad that I have the G92 Coupe Street Version being the 1LE Brother with some of the 1LE stuff and LB9 305 5-Speed is the way to go. Don't like an Auto in an American Sports Car even in the Muscle Cars of the 60's and 70's. The TTA, 1LE's and G92's are considered the Muscle Cars at the time. So much fun when pulling up to a stock Ford Mustang LX or GT and beat them drag racing, handling and cornering. GM puts out a better product during that era then Ford. I used to have a stock 1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5 Speed. There is no comparison. Rather have the GM product Just sayin. Enough said.

It is sad to say that yes, our cars can pass these older generation muscle cars for less money then the 1st, and 2nd Generation F-Body's.

Last edited by yaj15; 10-26-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by yaj15

I don't have a G92 IROC but I have made modifications to my car to where I have surpased what was available from the factory.

With minimal mods a G92 or non-G92 TPI powered thirdgen can easily beat many of the hero muscle cars of the golden era.

Truth be told a 100% bone stock L69/T-5/3.73 geared car would give a good challenge to an older 1960-1970's era muscle car all while still giving better drivability and fuel economy.

The LB9 and L98 G92 option cars just add to that performance envelop especially if you are planning to keep your car all stock.

Yes the 1LE, B4C, TTA, Firehawk cars will be at the top of thirdgen food chain. Next in line are the more mass produced G92 optioned TPI cars.

For the general going public the G92 TPI cars represent the most readily available factory performance vehicle that you could purchase at the time these cars were new. You didn't get all of the factory 1LE go fast parts with the G92 option but you got a lot more than someone like me that has a non-G92 optioned car.

Keep in mind though we are talking about 100% showroom stock cars that are in the best mechanical shape. Age, miliage, wear and tear, maintenance also play a role in the performance equation as well.

Equally important is knowing how to drive your car. People always laugh at me because I have an automatic in a performance car. That quickly changes when they see how fast my stalled automatic car jumps off the line and gets in to the powerband and stays there the entire time you are accelerating. I could make a good case for the stock 700r4 and converter not being the best for performance but aftermarket products change that equation entirely.

I've also seen a lot of folks that don't know how to drive a stick shift car well at all. A new ZR1 Corvette can make average drivers look like heros but, if you can't drive the car well to begin with the car (and all of its electronic aids) can only mask so much.

Also once we start including modified cars the performance equation won't necessarily be in a factory stock G92 equipped cars favor off the bat.

I agree with you on the L69 and all. I understand. But, the automatics with TPI can be made fast and the TBI as well. Not knocking on them. I am impressed when the autos can surpass mine as well if not more because of my 5-Speed G92. But, it really all depends on the driver and who could get the hole shot the fastest during a drag race.

You really have to know what you are doing when driving. I see so many young kids that think just because they have a Honda and try to race an american car that they will always win. There's no comparison. Yes, once we start talking about modified cars. This thread won't even be worth talking about because were not talking about stock cars anymore.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 775 Likes on 522 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

With a good converter and good shift kit a 700r4 can pickup .5-.8 in the quartermile.. I have even seen a fox stang pickup 1.5 seconds with a 4.11 gear, tires, good converter an shift kit.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by 1989 G92
So glad that you bought and are saving that particular car.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 PM

My '89 Formula 350 (with 25k original miles) with the N10 dual cats was a 4/89 manufacture.

The one thing I don't like about the option is how low it hangs down on the passenger side. It's very visible and almost looks like some ******* did his own exhaust work down there...
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

it shouldn't hang down any more than the single cat setup if it's mounted properly. I will say however, that a formula without ground effects will certainly make it look like it hangs down more than normal..
Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
it shouldn't hang down any more than the single cat setup if it's mounted properly. I will say however, that a formula without ground effects will certainly make it look like it hangs down more than normal..
I will take a pic next week and post it here. It's only really noticeable when you're about 15 away or further looking at the car from the side, but it is very noticeable at that point. And I don't think the car has been modified--looks all stock and original to me.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88, 89 & 91 GTA
Engine: 355 Super Ram/350
Transmission: TH-375/700R4
Axle/Gears: Currie Ford 9"/3.70

FEB 1989 was when mine was built and has this option.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Car: '89 L98 G92 Iroc /'11 GS Vett
Engine: L98/LS3
Transmission: 700R4/M6
Axle/Gears: 3.27 B.W./3.42

My 1989 White 5.7L G92 Iroc with N10 has a build date of 5/89

Car is completely stock just hit 13,000 miles today
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by johnnymotz27
My 1989 White 5.7L G92 Iroc with N10 has a build date of 5/89

Car is completely stock just hit 13,000 miles today

I'd bet yours and mine went down the assembly line together or at least spent some time in the Van Nuys holding lot, waiting for N10 final EPA certification together.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 PM

Car: '89 L98 G92 Iroc /'11 GS Vett
Engine: L98/LS3
Transmission: 700R4/M6
Axle/Gears: 3.27 B.W./3.42

Name:  14cb80b8.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  289.3 KB

I don't think I've seen a pic in this'd thread yet
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by johnnymotz27

I don't think I've seen a pic in this'd thread yet

Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 w/Paxton
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Feb. '89 N10
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

How about the grand-daddy of all N10 pix for you resto freaks like me???

Name:  10071116302_zpsce7c64b6.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  94.1 KB
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt - 2.77

My 89 iroc was built in September 1988. I don't have N10 on my rpo sticker and dual cats was not on the car when I bought it. It still had the original single converter on the car which I have since replaced with a magnaflow single converter.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM

Car: 1989 formula firebird
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: m5

I have a 89 formula n10,m5 with 3.45 gears built in April . It's bone stock with 61,xxx mile on it. I have lined it up against my 89 super coupe 5 speed and the formula wins by a car in 1/4 mile. The super coupe puts down a 14.8 at the track. From a 30mph roll its a dead heat. Hoping to take the formula to the track this summer.
Attached Thumbnails Calling all 1989s with N10 exhaust - which month was your car built?-100_2199.jpg   Calling all 1989s with N10 exhaust - which month was your car built?-100_2200.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 89stkformula
I have a 89 formula n10,m5 with 3.45 gears built in April . It's bone stock with 61,xxx mile on it. I have lined it up against my 89 super coupe 5 speed and the formula wins by a car in 1/4 mile. The super coupe puts down a 14.8 at the track. From a 30mph roll its a dead heat. Hoping to take the formula to the track this summer.
Looks like your formula has C&C ttops. Nifty.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Car: 1989 formula firebird
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: m5

yea I noticed the t tops are different from other firebirds that I have seen.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA Trans sold :(
Engine: 350 TPI L98 (B2L)
Transmission: TH700 R-4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Here's my story: I bought my GTA in the spring of '03 from the second owner, I did a bunch of research before purchasing the car . When I met up with the car, I had to see if the SPID sheet was still in center consule and it was, so i quickly try to decode as much as the SPID sheet to see if it had the desired options i wanted for the car and to make sure that it was a REAL GTA! With my home made check listing, I quickly started looking for the following codes: 5.7L (B2L, engine code is 8), check, the (CC1) removable hatch roof panels, check, the GW6 3.27 axle ratio with G80 limited slip (no G92 listing,) check, the N10 dual cat converter set up, double check, the correct paint code WW6 (flame red metallic) and the coveted Y84 Trans Am GTA option, it was all there! Happy as i was, feeling i hit pay dirt, this GTA when i bought it had only 49k on the clock but there was some minor upper engine work i had to do once i purchased it. ( That story is for another time.)

Now I don't know if you guys are still able to do this, but in March of '09 i purchased a reproduction window sticker and also a copy of vehicle invoice from PHS, which i was happy because they weren't sure if it was available. When i received my packet, i found a copy of the original invoice and this is what learned from it....
First of all, it was ordered at a dealership in IL it was priced out in 9-12-88 for the original owner, i learn over time that this car stayed it's entire life in IL to when i purchased it, which is cool because i live in IL. The bill invoice was dated 1/26/89, the car was shipped 1/26/89. The estimated time for it's destination arrival was around 2/9/89 but it didn't make it to the dealership until 2/26/89. Now just to confirm this about my car being built as a early 89 model, I read the door sticker and sure enough the sticker date is 01/89! So by faith my bday and my car's bday is on the same month and also the information off the invoice is pratically correct info! (priceless information if you ask me)
The window sticker and the invoice states the cost for the N10 converter set up was a MSRP of $155.00 option, but the invoice amount listed at $131.75.
perhaps this was a given discount to the customer for waiting longer then when he (or she) was suppose to get the car. Or perhaps it was part of the (code Y11) VIP plus program (?)

One last tid bit, several years ago, before my uncle was gonna buy a GTA, decided to first purchase a PHS packet to verify this vehicle, (again I don't know if you can't buy this anymore) and there was a copy of "NEWS FROM PONTIAC" news letter which is dated September 5, 1988 which mentions something about the N10 option, but only mentions as this "...However, for the formula, a power increase of 10bhp over the GTA's 225bhp has been realized through the use of a dual catalytic converter low-back pressure exhaust system. In numbers, the added power should be good for a .2 to .3 second reduction in 0-60mph times...." It doesn't mention anywhere else that the GTAs, or other V8 cars other then the formula was suppose to be equipped with this option which is weird! I'll also note, that I do also have that pontiac brochure with the TTA fold out that has that article about the N10 option but i believe it's illustrated on the Formula car as well. Anywho, i'm done for now and hope some of this insight helps shed a few more light bulbs
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts

Check the Pontiac Car Distribution Bulletin I posted earlier in this thread, from GTASourcePage. It's dated December 6, 1988 and states the requirement of N10 for additional applications.

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/Pontiac...9cdbs/89F4.jpg

Originally Posted by RockinGTA89
One last tid bit, several years ago, before my uncle was gonna buy a GTA, decided to first purchase a PHS packet to verify this vehicle, (again I don't know if you can't buy this anymore) and there was a copy of "NEWS FROM PONTIAC" news letter which is dated September 5, 1988 which mentions something about the N10 option, but only mentions as this "...However, for the formula, a power increase of 10bhp over the GTA's 225bhp has been realized through the use of a dual catalytic converter low-back pressure exhaust system. In numbers, the added power should be good for a .2 to .3 second reduction in 0-60mph times...." It doesn't mention anywhere else that the GTAs, or other V8 cars other then the formula was suppose to be equipped with this option which is weird! I'll also note, that I do also have that pontiac brochure with the TTA fold out that has that article about the N10 option but i believe it's illustrated on the Formula car as well. Anywho, i'm done for now and hope some of this insight helps shed a few more light bulbs
Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 Bright Red GTA
Engine: Grand Sport LT4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

Build date 2/89. GTA with N10. Delivered on 4/9/89 to Coral Pontiac in Atlanta.