History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Buying my first car. Could use your help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying my first car. Could use your help.

So I am 17 and am finally able to get my first car. I don't want a very new car and would rather have a more classic car, not just too have something different, but also because I genuinely like the way the look, specially compared to newer cars around my budget. Anyways, I really like the F-Body cars, especially the 3rd gen Firebird and Camaro . So I come to this forum to ask if you guys believe it would be a good idea (pragmatically speaking) to buy one of these car as my first one. So, what do you guys think? So far I have found a Trans AM that I could buy, a Z28, an Iroc Z and a RS. Thinking of leaning towards the Trans AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:45 AM

Re: Buying my first car.

1. Do not get the Trans Am. They are not nearly as cool.
2. I'm 17 and my first car was/is a 1992 Camaro Z28. Can carry four people, reliable besides the common stuff that went out on it in the first year (fuel pump and VATS). Cool as hell, chicks dig it, and fast enough to have fun in when stock.
3. $600 in mods and I've knocked .7 off my ET and gained 7 mph in the quarter. Easy to mod and respond well.
4. Handle like a dream. Suspension mods are cheap and easy.
5. A ford explorer would be a million times better at fulfilling the "first car" role. It just wouldn't fulfill the desires of a virile 17 year old. Thirdgens are a really good cool first car.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 AM

Car: 1985 Trans AM
Engine: 350 ATK Performance
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73

Trans am or Camaro they are both sweet. You will have the same problems with both. Just look for one that has no modifications and check floor pans for rust. If it runs well have a mechanic friend check it out. When you see one post the ad here and people will let you know if its a good deal or not. Or PM me the ad and I can tell you what I think.

Good luck searching.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28, 1989 TTA #922
Engine: lb9, 3.8L turbo
Transmission: 700r4, 2004R

Third gens are cool and I'm in love with mine but it depends on alot of different variable if this is a proper first car, are you looking for something reliable
Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

There is nothing wrong with the Trans Am. If you like the design of the TA over the Camaro, then get it. If you like the Camaro over the TA, then that's the one to look for. The TA is the "pretty" sister car. It will have more options as standard and is more of an upscale car. The Camaro is basic in interior design and is thought to be more utilitarian than comfort/luxury. You need to get whatever you want.

There is nothing wrong with having one of these cars as a first car. I did....In 1985, I bought a 1983 Z28 for my first car. I survived and so have so many others. Don't expect good gas mileage though. Depending on the engine/trans config, you might only get about 15mpg. Gas is expensive today.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Pace Car
Engine: LU5 Crossfire
Transmission: Auto

The good news is that given the age of these cars you can pretty much figure out ahead of time what things might go wrong or what you might be in for. IMHO, the third gen is a pretty reliable car mechanically.

My second car was an '84 Z28 (used) and it carried me and my friends around for many, many years. My car had 100k miles when I got it and the only time it failed me was when the catalyst in the catalytic converter melted and plugged the exhaust.

As for mileage, I think the third gens are close to modern muscle mpg around town. I had an 06 GTO that averaged 18 and a 99 Camaro SS that did about the same. I agree with Scott that depending on what you get, you're looking at 15 or so mpg, which isn't terrible. The difference is that modern muscle is delivering way higher performance for that 16-18 mpg through your right foot than a third gen will...
Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Okay, I've seen several and have saved 4 different ads. Most are in Spanish, but they don't share a lot of info, am going to call later on. Anyways here they are.

http://imgur.com/a/PFCJG

Btw thanks for the info everyone! I think I will definitely siding for a Gen 3. Mi sister wants me to buy an even older one though and I've found a '81 Camaro, '70s Mustang, '67 Impala, '72 Impala, '67 Chevelle, '74 Chevelle, which I also found, but I think these would be more reliable and safer. I don't really know that much about cars though, so I might be wrong. What do you guys think? Being a Gen 3 forum I expect you to side with the Gen 3s obviously, but yeah, am I right on the fact that they are safer and more reliable compared with the even older ones?

Last edited by Brauer; 05-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:36 PM

Funny you mention 2nd gens. My first car was a '78 Z28, 350 auto (also very used, like my '84). I remember driving a friends '79 Z after having my 84 for a while and my initial reaction (which I remember to this day) was "Man -- this thing weighs a ton!" Going from the third gen back to the second was like going from a go kart to a truck. Of course, less weight and improved handling were hallmarks of the third gen.

The second gen cars have their good and bad points. Having owned both, although it was a long time ago, I'd take a third gen over a late second gen any day. I've never had a desire to go find another second gen. The second gen cars are unique in their own right, and I wouldn't turn down a 70 1/2 Z/28 if someone offered it to me (I love the split bumper on the RS), but as a daily car, I think the third gens are more usable and, overall, more fun.

Second gen cars are more mechanically simple (as you'd expect) and you'll need rear leaf springs and door pins every so often to keep them both from sagging. My '78 had no more issues than my '84. Both were carb'd cars.

As I recall, my '78 got about 12 mpg on the highway and probably 10 around town -- but that was a looooong time ago. I rebuilt the motor on my '78 when I got it, so that 10 MPG in town was on a good and well tuned motor and carb.

Just like choosing between a Trans Am/Firebird or a Camaro -- It's all about your preferences. Drive a second gen and a third gen and decide what you like best.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by FormerL69
Funny you mention 2nd gens. My first car was a '78 Z28, 350 auto (also very used, like my '84). I remember driving a friends '79 Z after having my 84 for a while and my initial reaction (which I remember to this day) was "Man -- this thing weighs a ton!" Going from the third gen back to the second was like going from a go kart to a truck. Of course, less weight and improved handling were hallmarks of the third gen.

The second gen cars have their good and bad points. Having owned both, although it was a long time ago, I'd take a third gen over a late second gen any day. I've never had a desire to go find another second gen. The second gen cars are unique in their own right, and I wouldn't turn down a 70 1/2 Z/28 if someone offered it to me (I love the split bumper on the RS), but as a daily car, I think the third gens are more usable and, overall, more fun.

Second gen cars are more mechanically simple (as you'd expect) and you'll need rear leaf springs and door pins every so often to keep them both from sagging. My '78 had no more issues than my '84. Both were carb'd cars.

As I recall, my '78 got about 12 mpg on the highway and probably 10 around town -- but that was a looooong time ago. I rebuilt the motor on my '78 when I got it, so that 10 MPG in town was on a good and well tuned motor and carb.

Just like choosing between a Trans Am/Firebird or a Camaro -- It's all about your preferences. Drive a second gen and a third gen and decide what you like best.
From what you said I think the 3rd gen would be easier to drive do to their better handling, therefor better suited for a first car. Am I right on that analysis?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 AM

Re: Buying my first car. Could use your help.

My preference would be a third gen, but you need to go drive both and decide what you like best. You might love the second gen over the third, but the only one who can make that call is you,,,
Old 05-29-2013, 03:07 PM

Good luck on your car search. I had an 86 Camaro Sport Coupe, assuming LG4 engine since it was a 305 4bbl A/T. Car and vin is long gone but it was totally stock. Bare bones as I think the only option it came with was a/c. No tach or meaningful gauges, no pw/pdl, etc. I loved that car and being in high school at the time I had it, you never fully forget how it felt to have one. Now I am toying with buying an 86 TA one owner 158k mikes on it. From reading the information in these boards this car is nothing desirable or rare, but it would mean the world to me to own one again.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 bird
Engine: enough to break stuff
Transmission: manual th400
Axle/Gears: 4.10

ive had my 87 since i was in high school and the first year i had it it was my only car which doesnt work out that well. any older car is not as reliable as a newer car generally speaking. so to answer your question its a good car but only if you have another "beater" for backup and poor weather and mileage. which is what happened to mine i got hit and since i was in school it took me a long time to be able to fix it. i would say that about any car before about 2000
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

Originally Posted by g92optioned
1. Do not get the Trans Am. They are not nearly as cool.
Don't get a Camaro. They're ugly and cheap looking
Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Car: 1985 Trans AM
Engine: 350 ATK Performance
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
Don't get a Camaro. They're ugly and cheap looking