History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

1983 5.0 HO 5 speed. Restore or restomod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 1983 5.0 HO 5 speed. Restore or restomod?

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
No, I'm not really "missing the point"...

I think you are.

Looking at those pics I see a front cap including bumper cover & ground effects, not just fenders, although since it has the SMC hood, that might be repairable; COMPLETE interior, wheels, weatherstripping, maybe a few other significant pieces here & there. It's been a squirrel nest so there's no telling how much wiring is chewed up or what it smells like. Obviously can't tell whether it "needs" a motor or not, you'll have to be the judge of that; but if it does, "rebuilding" the original is probably not the wisest choice anyway. But motors are EEEEEZY; lots of that other stuff is MUCH tougher to come up with, and MUCH more expensive in many cases.

You're going to need essentially a whole car in good shape that you can tear down to put its pieces on this one, PLUS all the stuff that has to be replaced (weatherstripping) with new. It's not going to "buff".

In the "sense" dept, if you've got to buy a good car ANYWAY, how does it "make sense" to destroy THAT to fix THIS one, rather than the other way around?

"Sentiment" and all that, tends to work in the opposite direction from "good sense". I have heard over and over again about "this was my 1st car", "lots of good memories", all manner of such stuff, concerning such a car as this; it has rarely ever turned out well. Always seems to go over budget, take years, and come up short of re-creating whatever the owner is shooting for, especially since the car itself is just a heartless soulless chunk of metal and plastic with no "memories" or "sentiments" of its own. Just a mass-produced consumer good, with many virtually identical copies indistinguishable from each other originally.

While I can't of course "predict" that the same thing will happen here, I can definitely see a strong likelihood. That's the reason for my skepticism. "Sentiment" and "My First Car" typically end up taking a back seat to "bank account", "24 hrs in a day", "city condemned the junk heap in my front yard", etc.

You came here for advice, looks like you want cheerleading. I'm not a cheerleader, sorry. All I can do is provide advice, based on MANY repetitions of the same theme that I've witnessed. Since you don't appear to want that, there's not much I can add. Which is too bad; I REALLY like these cars, especially HO ones, and that's one of the sharper looking color combos. Damn shame it turned into what it turned into.

Best of luck in your project; you'll probably need quite a bit.
Most 82-84 third gens will need just about the same parts. I am talkin about weatherstrip, paint, seats redone, carpet, misc things. The body parts i need are not that much money. The ground effects are in my shed. The door panels are in amazing shape. The plastics for the interior all in good shape and need only to be dyed/painted. The wiring is all there and not chewed up. Its alot of labor involved i agree. But i do bodywork/painting for a living. This thing will get 100% disassembled go and on my rotiserie and get blasted down to bare metal. I have done many restos on some real buckets over the years. This is not one of them. I am not looking for you to cheerlead. This is the car i am doing. If you feel its not worth it thats your opinion and i respect it. Even if we disagree.

Later this year i will start to tear down and begin this project. I will post a build thread and update it as i go.

Last edited by Z28Disaster; 04-28-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

Originally Posted by Z28Disaster
Later this year i will start to tear down and begin this project. I will post a build thread and update it as i go.
awe come on. let him tell you why your opinion of your car and what to do with it is wrong some more
Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 PM

Car: 72 nova/ 90 camaro rs,04 suburban
Engine: blown 327/ 355/306/355/5.3
Transmission: muncie 4 speed/T5/powerglide,4l80e
Axle/Gears: 342/411/456/ moser axles

Originally Posted by kmcn47
awe come on. let him tell you why your opinion of your car and what to do with it is wrong some more
isn't that the truth! Build it and please post pics along the way!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

do me a favor during the resto? peel that goddamn stupid sticker off and burn it, burn that k&n filter too. i can't stand k&n filters
Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 T/A
Engine: 1973 400 Chevy
Transmission: 4 Speed Borg Warner
Axle/Gears: 3:23

Have fun with your car. Most changes you make can be undone in the future, just save the original parts.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Looks to me like the part about "LS1" is the least of your worries at this point...

Doesn't look worth salvaging to me. That is, you can get another in better shape, for FAR less than fixing that one.

Think of it this way: You have a start point (where you are now, with a pretty much used-up junker) and an end point (where you want to be, which is, with a functional car that's not an embarrassment or anything). Everything in between "start" and "end" is a blank canvas, waiting for you to fill it in. You have any number of ways to fill in all those blanks; "restore" what's left of that hulk, buy another similar car and make 1 good car out of 2, part that one out and use the money to buy another, etc. etc. etc. etc. Realize that the choice you make, will make THOUSANDS of dollars of difference in what it will take to get from "start" to "end", as well as no telling how much difference in time, labor, risk, etc.

Choose wisely.
Most 82-84 third gens will need just about the same parts. I am talkin about weatherstrip, paint, seats redone, carpet, misc things. The body parts i need are not that much money. The ground effects are in my shed. The door panels are in amazing shape. The plastics for the interior all in good shape and need only to be dyed/painted. The wiring is all there and not chewed up. Its alot of labor involved i agree. But i do bodywork/painting for a living. This thing will get 100% disassembled go and on my rotiserie and get blasted down to bare metal. I have done many restos on some real buckets over the years. This is not one of them. I am not looking for you to cheerlead. This is the car i am doing. If you feel its not worth it thats your opinion and i respect it. Even if we disagree.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Originally Posted by dmccain
Man build your car. This guy is a real JERK
Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

This guy is a real JERK

Anybody that'd tell ya the TRUTH, has GOT TO BE a jerk.

Just doesn't get much worse than that.

What an insensitive you-know-what-hole.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

I'd do a resto-mod if I did anything to it…. Just IMO..

One thing you have going…it's an '83. Pretty much the entire emissions and sensor harness goes right up the side of the pass. fender. Big connector there, and the ECM is inside the pass. kick panel. If you do it right, and the entire harness, sensors and ECM will come out and no wire cutting needed…none. My entire harness and ECM is hanging on my garage with all the sensors, etc all plugged into it.

Then decide what you want to power it with. If I did it all over again, I'd go LS, LQ4…something along those lines. You can do whatever you want with the exterior…you're a body/paint guy right? You could keep it stock looking…proper front nose, 5.0 Litre HO decals..the whole nine yards. That'd be cool!

Good luck finding decent interior stuff…hard to find, and when you do…break out your wallet….you'll need it. There's a few members here that have some stuff hoarded. Use the "parts wanted" board…good luck!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 PM

Anybody that'd tell ya the TRUTH, has GOT TO BE a jerk.

Just doesn't get much worse than that.

What an insensitive you-know-what-hole.
But what you are saying is an opinion, not the truth or a fact. You speak from opinion not from experiance. You say how you see people run into issues with builds. Whether its builds guys post on the internet or people you know personally......but have you done a actual restoration yourself? There are always issues with EVERY build. Any seasoned tech knows this. Mine will be no different. What you are saying and how you are saying it makes you seem like a dick and you are getting called out for it.

At this point only decision i have made is THIS car is gettin done. What you suggest is not even an option. But thanks for responding and taking the time to post your thoughts.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Car: 72 nova/ 90 camaro rs,04 suburban
Engine: blown 327/ 355/306/355/5.3
Transmission: muncie 4 speed/T5/powerglide,4l80e
Axle/Gears: 342/411/456/ moser axles

But what you are saying is an opinion, not the truth or a fact. You speak from opinion not from experiance. You say how you see people run into issues with builds. Whether its builds guys post on the internet or people you know personally......but have you done a actual restoration yourself? There are always issues with EVERY build. Any seasoned tech knows this. Mine will be no different. What you are saying and how you are saying it makes you seem like a dick and you are getting called out for it.

At this point only decision i have made is THIS car is gettin done. What you suggest is not even an option. But thanks for responding and taking the time to post your thoughts.
Amen, one mans opinion is just that, his opinion, build it and be happy!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 PM

Car: 1984 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: l69
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: Factory Rear End with 3.73(?) ratio

Hey, so I'm new here.. Lol. But I thought I'd jump in and say that I support you. Just because its a little rough around the edges doesn't mean its not worth putting work into. My buddy has an 82 Z28 we are putting a lot of work into. We could have used the massive amount of money that has been put into it to track down another 3rd gen that doesn't need the ungodly amount of work that his does, but it just wouldn't be his car. He's been to hell and back with his car, and that makes it special. He even lived in it for a few months.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 G92 IROC-Z
Engine: 5 Liter 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

do me a favor during the resto? peel that goddamn stupid sticker off and burn it, burn that k&n filter too. i can't stand k&n filters
They arent so popular around our shop either. Lean codes and junked MAF sensors are a couple byproducts of these things. I still use them, but I oil VERY lightly after the cleaning.

Last edited by TxTtopZ; 05-02-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:37 PM

especially since the car itself is just a heartless soulless chunk of metal and plastic with no "memories" or "sentiments" of its own. Just a mass-produced consumer good, with many virtually identical copies indistinguishable from each other originally.
Coveting cars like a hoarder just to let them rot is one thing, but your talking like emotional feelings have nothing to do with cars at all. The fact he wants to restore that car for whatever emotional attachment and feelings pretty much defines what it's like to "be" a car guy. If they didn't create warm fuzzies then we would in essence just be commuters, like the rest of the mass media driven suckers. I can't think of a worse death than that.

On the other hand... With the above statement, you may have angered the Car Gods my friend. Not good.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 AM

I gotta say that i appreciate everyones input. To see this many responses and how this thread blew up speaks volumes on we much we all love these cars.

TxTtopZ is 100% on the money. Could't have put it any better.

At one point everything i owned fit into this car......and I basicly lived out of it for a few months. There a bunch of reasons i have attachment to this car. Hell 99% of all the work i did is still there. And its great to look at how i did the work and repairs at 19 from my 37 year old eyes now. I have learned much more since then and am able to do now what i wanted to. Plus to I d love to take my wife and daughters for a
cruise in it.

The K&N filter was a "upgrade" the previous owner did. Its gettin trashed/burned

Last edited by Z28Disaster; 05-05-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Well, start the teardown and keep us posted. My thread is slow going but there is progress which I need to update. I am by no means telling you how to restore your own car, but I like to start under the car... Removing the engine/drivetrain and inspect the floors, seams, frame, mounts, bushings, suspension and steering components etc. Pretty much to establish a nice foundation that I know will last and also to make sure the body shop doesn't find the car to be tweaked too much etc. I spent a whole 3 months or so worth of weekends and a few after work sessions just to get the undercoating off to see if there was any rust or damage. I then cataloged the parts and hardware. I am glad I did that for piece of mind plus, I found some minor floor pan damage where a previous owner ran over something or bottomed out somewhere. Not all that bad at all but will need to be fixed none the less.

Here is a pic of all the undercoating removed, no rust - all that brown is grease I need to simple green off. Maybe some encouragement for ya.

Name:  photo1_zps1d818991.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  62.2 KB