History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Found my first car, should I buy it back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 99 grand am, 87 buick turbo T,
Engine: 3.4; 87sfi turbo
Transmission: 4spd OD; 4spd OD BRF valve body
Found my first car, should I buy it back?

After a 2 year search it was finally found. Unfortunately in worse condition when I sold it. No real damage but the elements haven't been kind. THe rust doesn't seem to have gotten worse in the spots it had but new stuff that has popped up since I had it and it's worked it's way into the inner wheel wells and quarter panel lips. Nothing horrific but will need at minimum some patchwork and new inner wells. The entire interior will need to be redone, and yes it's a T top car. All the performance parts are still in place that I installed although it will need a thorough cleaning and possibly an entire exhaust system minus muffler. The car had a 350 4 bolt when I sold it and had been rebuilt with a new crank according to the guy that I sold it to (he still has it).

Now, as much as I'd like to get all sentimental and go buy it back, it is going to need a tear down and rebuild which is mostly outer sheetmetal, driver footwell repair, interior will need at minimum new door panels, carpet, and headliner but it all really needs to be redone including a new dash pad. I think the doors may be able to be saved but might have to head south for a replacement pair.

The car is an 86 z28. It's originally a black sapphire, hatch mounted third brake light, grey velour interior, power windows, hatch, locks, cruise, delay, rear defrost, T tops, ERS, TPI, 140 speedo, and factory fog lights.

Does this car have any rarity? If it does it might be what pushes me to try to buy it back.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 PM

Transmission: 700r4
Re: Found my first car, should I buy it back?

All depends on how deep your pockets are compared to how deep your heart for the car are. It isn't a car that will draw big money but I would be afraid if I ever found my high school car.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:12 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 3-Speed Automatic with Overdrive

If you have the money and the space go for it!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by usetaboost
After a 2 year search it was finally found. Unfortunately in worse condition when I sold it. No real damage but the elements haven't been kind. THe rust doesn't seem to have gotten worse in the spots it had but new stuff that has popped up since I had it and it's worked it's way into the inner wheel wells and quarter panel lips. Nothing horrific but will need at minimum some patchwork and new inner wells. The entire interior will need to be redone, and yes it's a T top car. All the performance parts are still in place that I installed although it will need a thorough cleaning and possibly an entire exhaust system minus muffler. The car had a 350 4 bolt when I sold it and had been rebuilt with a new crank according to the guy that I sold it to (he still has it).

Now, as much as I'd like to get all sentimental and go buy it back, it is going to need a tear down and rebuild which is mostly outer sheetmetal, driver footwell repair, interior will need at minimum new door panels, carpet, and headliner but it all really needs to be redone including a new dash pad. I think the doors may be able to be saved but might have to head south for a replacement pair.

The car is an 86 z28. It's originally a black sapphire, hatch mounted third brake light, grey velour interior, power windows, hatch, locks, cruise, delay, rear defrost, T tops, ERS, TPI, 140 speedo, and factory fog lights.

Does this car have any rarity? If it does it might be what pushes me to try to buy it back.
86 is arguably the worst year for Z28 & iroc because they made the most that year as well as '89 too. Rarity, hardly so it all comes down to how bad do you want it.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

It's not all that rare or desirable, although the TPI and options do help a bit, and Black is always going to be a desirable color (assuming the paint is nice, which I'm sure it's not in its present condition).

If you do buy it and make it nice, don't expect to sell it and make a profit. It sounds like getting this car to be nice again would likely require $10-15,000, and it'd still be worth maybe $4,500 when all is said and done, assuming it doesn't have low miles.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:33 PM

Some back story on the car. My dad bought it for me when I was 16. It had a repaint of lighter blue. High mile car for it's day back in 97 but it was clean. Well, we all know what a 16 year old kid does with a rwd v8 car. So fast forward a few years after high school I decide to start to rebuild the car front to back. Started with a gm crate 350 longblock, rebuilt trans with new coverter and shift kit, had the peg leg rear freshened since it had some bearing howl to it. Put in new shocks, springs, struts, radiator, cooling fan, all new front end parts. Midlength headers and magnaflow exhaust. The car never got tuned. I had almost all the parts to get it repainted and body finished. That's where it stopped around 2004. Same old story, buying a house, had a baby, something had to give.

The owner claims he kept all the parts that came with the car so with that being said I'll have a clean hood, driver fender, front bumber and lower spoiler.

I'm not planning on buying high end parts and I'm not above buying good used parts if anything is out there. I know these cars are drying up and looking at classic industries website they don't offer **** for these cars anymore which is what worries me.

Here's the list of things I know the car needs.

Wiring work- some wires got cut by the owners pissed off girlfriend. Easy fix for me. Also some engine compartment wiring will need redone, which is not a big issue to me.

Transmission- I know for a fact there's something ****y in that trans because it never did act quite right. Not a big deal. I got a guy for that.

Rear inner wells- most likely will need replaced

Quarter panels- Need patchwork, My guess is around 500

Interior- It's sad and dirty. I can live with the seats for a while but carpet, complete headliner, and door panels will need replaced at minimum

Emblems- Plan on replacing side skirt and nose with good used if possible. Will not be putting lower pinstripe back on

Driver foot well needs patched

Steering wheel might need a rewrap but is useable. Needs center horn button assembly.

Dash pad is busted up on passenger side. Something I can live with and replace later

Needs power window motors and door lock actuators. No big deal.

Power trunk assembly should work as long as nobody has slammed it.

Windshield- no big deal

Still has stock wheels but are in rough shape.

I have a 1985 Buick regal with a rebuilt 455, ported heads, cam, monte ss trans (rebuilt) and 3.73 posi rear, hooker GN style exhaust I will most likely sell to fund this. I got two buicks currently so I'm not afraid to spend chevy money. I'll try to post some pics of my camaro.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:51 PM

Old 03-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Sorry my ugly mug is in the pic

Old 03-12-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: Bright Red 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: LB9 5.0L TPI
Transmission: MM5 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.45

usetaboost, I can only offer this advice. My first car was a 1969 Skylark that I abused like many other 16 year old kids. I also owned a 1989 Formula that I regretted selling. When I turned 50, I found a better version of the Skylark That is a pristine 16K original mile car in a much better color. I also found the closest replacement for the Formula that I could get (Has everything except T-tops). I could not be happier having both of those cars parked in my garage. I take them to shows and cruise ins and have a blast telling stories. They will never be worth what I have in them, but you cannot put a price on the smile on my face!! I say either buy that car or buy another version of it.

Last edited by live4formula; 03-14-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:23 PM

Today the wife told me she wants me to get it back and restore it. We went on our first date in that car. I mentioned just selling my big block car and just finding a nice clean iroc convertible but shes stuck on me getting that one back or keep the regal. It's not about the money for me, its finding the parts. It's not the 90s anymore and good parts are getting hard to find. The drivetrain will be cheap to do but the price of all the cosmetics like the interior kind of scared me. I live close to a fabrication shop and I'm in good with the owner so I'm sure he would be more than happy to latch the car up.

I tried finding parts but I haven't found any good sources. Classic industries used to have every nut and bolt you ever needed to restore these cars but their website looks bare. Does the catalog have more selection?
Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 PM

Sure could be a good looking car. Seeing this pic is what makes me want it
Old 03-12-2016, 07:43 PM

Old 03-12-2016, 08:58 PM

Car: 1969 RS Z28 X33 Norwood built
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: T10 4 speed

I just got done looking at this car on eBay. it has the LG4 and the dude wants 18 grand for it. It is a 5 Speed though. Love the color. No way I would pay even close to what he wants for it.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:30 PM

Yeah. Crazy high I think. Pretty sure I could make mine look like that for 1/3 the price and be twice the car. What really worries me is the availability of parts. I don't have a problem with buying new when the need arises but I'm not paying some crazy GM NOS price for stuff.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I for one am glad to hear your deciding to buy it back. If I could find my 84 sport coupe from 27 years ago I would not hesitate. If you have the funds or the means to make it work, do it or you will kick yourself in the pants and just be talking about the car you COULD have had back. Also, while Classic and Ecklers have some good stuff, Ebay is hard to beat for nice original plastic interior parts. If at first you dont find what your looking for or the part looks inferior, just wait. It will surface. Waiting to pull the trigger on the right part to surface on ebay has worked well for me. My interior is now complete after a year and was well worth waiting for nice original parts.
Document your build please. Would love to read and see the pics when your done!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 Firbird Formula
Engine: 5.0 TBI

With everything you have to do to it, why not buy a car in good shape. Take the parts you need and transfer to your car? I've seen a few around the midwest recently in Southern Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas on CL. 3-4 k and in good shape. I've even seen at least 1 roller from that era.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If the car means a lot to you, (it obviously does) I would go buy it. Hopefully the current owner isn't putting a crazy price tag on it but even if its a little high, so what? None of us here have the history you have with the car, so we just look at it as another camaro.
I would buy my first car back if I could. But, I know its history & demise. It went to a salvage yard a long time ago.

Pretty rare a car & its previous owner get a second chance

I'm on board with buying it back. No question....... Just try not to pay twice its value
Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: TPI 5.7L V8
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Awesome thread....you need to buy this back for sure!!! Too many memories attached to walk away!!!
I remember when i was 16-17 my brother bought a red 1980 Camaro 350...man whatta car. Luckily for me he was bartending at the time & worked alot of hours, so i got to drive the car alot & picked him up after work just about every nite. I Always wanted another one, but up here in Nova Scotia with all the salt on the roads & neglect its hard to find half decent anything. I ended up with a black 91 GTA....not the same color or car but everytime i'm behind the wheel i think of my brothers old Camaro.
All the best with getting the car back usetaboost!!!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Today the wife told me she wants me to get it back and restore it. We went on our first date in that car. I mentioned just selling my big block car and just finding a nice clean iroc convertible but shes stuck on me getting that one back or keep the regal. It's not about the money for me, its finding the parts. It's not the 90s anymore and good parts are getting hard to find. The drivetrain will be cheap to do but the price of all the cosmetics like the interior kind of scared me. I live close to a fabrication shop and I'm in good with the owner so I'm sure he would be more than happy to latch the car up.

I tried finding parts but I haven't found any good sources. Classic industries used to have every nut and bolt you ever needed to restore these cars but their website looks bare. Does the catalog have more selection?
Hello usetaboost,

We think it is awesome that you have found your old car. We carry a good selection of parts for these cars, and would be happy to send you a FREE catalog if you can PM me with your name, and address. Provide me with an email address, and we will put you on the eblast list so that you receive valuable promotional offers throughout the year. Good luck with your new project, and please consider us as your partner in the restoration of your car.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by live4formula
usetaboost, I can only offer this advice. My first car was a 1969 Skylark that I abused like many other 16 year old kids. I also owned a 1989 Formula that I regretted selling. When I turned 50, I found a better version of the Skylark That is a pristine 16K original mile car in a much better color. I also found the closest replacement for the Formula that I could get (Has everything except T-tops). I could not be happier having both of those cars parked in my garage. I take them to shows and cruise ins and have a blast telling stories. They will never be worth what I have in them, but you cannot put a price on the smile on my face!! I say either buy that car or buy another version of it.
I learned to drive in our family 1970 4 door Skylark. Always loved the whine the transmission made in that car. Im sure it was just a TH350 trans, but something about it sounded a little different. I have always been intreuged by the GS's because of that car. My Dad bought everything Buick, or Cadillac back then.

While it wasn't my first car, I had a 1977 Monza Spyder in high school that was a ton of fun. It had a 305 originally & I dropped in a 350 in from a 72 chevelle. Was a pretty quick car for the time. I finally found another one about 10 years ago & did a nut & bolt rotisserie restoration on it. I did it for the love of cars & what that particular car meant to me. I think we all grow fonder of past memories as we get older, & these cars are one of the ways to bring you back once in a while.

I am completely upside down in my Monza too. In fact, I decided to never add up the receipts because I didn't want to know what I spent. But lets just say Its probably 2-3 times what the car is worth. But, I love the car & I would do it again. Not a car for everyone, but its cool to me
Old 03-15-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: Bright Red 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: LB9 5.0L TPI
Transmission: MM5 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I am completely upside down in my Monza too. In fact, I decided to never add up the receipts because I didn't want to know what I spent. But lets just say Its probably 2-3 times what the car is worth. But, I love the car & I would do it again. Not a car for everyone, but its cool to me [/QUOTE]

Probably a bad idea to add the receipts! Look at it this way, By the time I pay off my house, I will have paid 3 times what it is worth too.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

You didn't say how much it would cost to buy it back? I'd love to find my first car, but, I wouldn't let someone jack the price just cause they know the sentimental value. The problem I'd have in your situation is if bodywork isn't your thing it could get very costly to fix up However... Project approval from the wife is priceless! As long as he doesn't want twice what it's worth I'd go for it!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:50 PM

Didn't forget about this quite yet. Still considering it after seeing a nice iroc on the way to a wedding this weekend. I haven't called the guy back yet but I think next weekend I'm gonna give him a ring or stop by and see what it's gonna take to get it back. I'm gonna start low. Real low. I got a number in my head of what I'm willing to pay and if I can't get it back for that price or less I'm unfortunately gonna have to walk away.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:56 AM

If you have a place for the car & can buy it at a reasonable market price I would pull the trigger. Usually its the seller trying to get someone to pay for their emotional value on a car. If you can get it back & gain some of yours back at no cost its a score. One of the cars I have was owned by a friend of mine in high school. Was always one of my favorite cars. It surfaced about 12 years ago & I found it for sale. I stewed on buying it for a couple days & then went back and bought it. I thought I paid a "little" too much at the time, but I have zero regrets today. In fact, looking back I can't believe I walked away from it to think it over.

imagine you found out it was sold today to somebody else. If that though bothers you, I would go get it. Worse case scenario, you could always sell it (again ) & if you didn't overpay, you might not loose much if anything? Just my thoughts.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:51 PM

At this point in time it all depends on what he will sell it for. Wife wants it back but just like every scenario I don't have much cash right now and I don't want to sell the regal just yet. I'd like to get it and dig into a bit. If the car isn't hiding any major rust or structural damage I can sell the regal to fund the project. So just now I'm trying to scrape the money together just to get it home.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:18 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 350 HO 360whp
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5

At this point in time it all depends on what he will sell it for. Wife wants it back but just like every scenario I don't have much cash right now and I don't want to sell the regal just yet. I'd like to get it and dig into a bit. If the car isn't hiding any major rust or structural damage I can sell the regal to fund the project. So just now I'm trying to scrape the money together just to get it home.
What all ended up happening did you buy it or not? I've read this all and makes me a bit sad Lol
Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 PM

Car: 1984 Berlinetta
Engine: 355
Transmission: 350
Axle/Gears: 4.30:1

I sure would like my first car back, never have saw one or heard of one close to it. Dad bought it new. 1968 Pontiac Ventura 428 4 speed, all power options, posi, hood tach. I totalled it, but out ran the 67 GTO. I still have the posi, emblems, walnut shifter ****, power seat track(from 1977).
Old 06-01-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '84 Z28
Engine: L69
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by ((Mike))
I just got done looking at this car on eBay. it has the LG4 and the dude wants 18 grand for it. It is a 5 Speed though. Love the color. No way I would pay even close to what he wants for it.
I've seen this car on the internet too (Ebay?) Something is fishy about this one. The stripes on the quarters behind the rear wheels don't match the rest of the car. I think it was hit in the rear.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 PM

I decided not to get it back. It was just more work than I wanted to do. Granted, the 67 impala convertible needs a good amount of work but not near as much as what my old car needed which was pretty much EVERYTHING. I still think about getting another third gen but the impala would have to go. The circumstances would have to all be in my favor. Sorry guys. I've been down this road before with my we4. If i was going to have another one it would have to be a nice original car. Rebuilding my old car would have been awesome, I just can't wrap my brain around the money it would cost.