History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

WOW Another crack price car !!! 1982 Recaro 37K Mile $15K

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
Re: WOW Another crack price car !!! 1982 Recaro 37K Mile $15K

Everyone is getting wrapped up around the car of this thread and not the bigger picture. The truth is people that own 3rd gens are considered backwoods hillbillies (as by a camaro magazine article of several years back.) Honestly if you want to be a hillbilly for the rest of your life, then that is your call, but let us drag the car from the woods and actually take some pride in our cars. If someone wants to ask a million dollars let them as a million dollars. We can say what we want, but the end of the day if no one asks more than $100 for a car then we are going to be stuck in third gen purgatory forever.

I wish I could find my firing back article I sent to the Camaro magazine a few years back. Against the nay-sayers for third gens.

Remember some of the if not the fastest F-body from 1967 through 2002 were 3rd gens. The problem is neither of them were Camaros.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by okfoz
Everyone is getting wrapped up around the car of this thread and not the bigger picture. The truth is people that own 3rd gens are considered backwoods hillbillies (as by a camaro magazine article of several years back.) Honestly if you want to be a hillbilly for the rest of your life, then that is your call, but let us drag the car from the woods and actually take some pride in our cars. If someone wants to ask a million dollars let them as a million dollars. We can say what we want, but the end of the day if no one asks more than $100 for a car then we are going to be stuck in third gen purgatory forever.

I wish I could find my firing back article I sent to the Camaro magazine a few years back. Against the nay-sayers for third gens.

Remember some of the if not the fastest F-body from 1967 through 2002 were 3rd gens. The problem is neither of them were Camaros.
People think only hillbillies own these cars because of the god awful condition some of these cars are in. I lost count on the number of thirdgens rotting away in someones backyard or driveway Ive come across. There are countless owners on this site that have some outstanding vehicles. Custom motors, interiors, paint. This is what it has come too. Owners who knew the cars were never going to command a premium, but loved the car and made it their own. Its this board and the owners of cars here that pushed the envelope to make them somewhat respectable today. I think there is more aftermarket now more than ever. It is what it is. Its a great platform to build a street car on. As well as a track car. It does it all but one thing. As that is be a collector car. It never will be. It may command a premium from guys who have cash in a later stage in life that grew up with these cars and want a showroom car to relive their youth. Remember these cars are pushing 40 years almost. But to say this car will have a following soon from car collectors who never gave this car a second look years ago, it will never happen. You want the 82-92 generation in a nutshell? Browse the site. Great examples here of what this generation has spawned and is right now. Custom, one of a kind camaros and firebirds that the owners take pride in. Just the way it is imo.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

in 2017 you would of thought cars like this 350 formula with 12,000 miles on it would be getting more than $12,500 been for sale for awhile now

Old 07-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

[QUOTE=ray jr;6155223]in 2017 you would of thought cars like this 350 formula with 12,000 miles on it would be getting more than $12,500 been for sale for awhile now

[/QUOTE

Nice Formula. And I would pay the asking price for it compared to the Trans Am.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:44 PM
On Probation

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am KITT Replica
Engine: LU5 305 CROSSFIRE
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3:23

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thread took off lol

As someone who specializes in '82-84 Birds I agree yes it's RARE since it's a 1 of 1500 Recaro Edition. I won't argue with that point. And not many CLEAN ORIGINAL 82 Black/Gold cars left on this earth thanks to those knight rider rascals :P

But my disagreement on the asking price is

1. Horrible pictures
2. The tacky gold pin stripping
3. The lack of Bowling ball hubcaps. Those run $500-700 for clean OEM set. Maybee has em just not installed ????
4. Mileage

Again, If the stripes removed, Paint buffed/waxed and caps added POSSIBLY an $8-12K car with current market value.

But honestly, if the seller REALLY wants around $15K then that car has to go a
Collector car auction (Barret Jackson/Kruse Auction)

Odds are it's someone who bought the car for $5-8K locally and is trying to "flip it" without knowing what it's really is worth lol

Dave