History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Air conditioning routing and info???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air conditioning routing and info???

I am replacing the compressor, hoses, and accumulator on my 83 Z28. However i have run into a few snags. I am also doing a 134 conversion at the same time. The compressor was dry out of the box and says I need to add 2ounces of oil to the suction port??? So... does anyone have a diagram as to the flow or can tell me what the suction port is? I have spun it and can't feel a "breeze" to judge. huh The other is it says to use two cans then the conversion oil? How much refridgerant does this car hold?
Old 01-17-2002, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
hmm... hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the A/C hasn't worked in a while, chances are a 134A swap won't do anything. But I can't blame you for trying.

First, read the 134a conversion artical in the tech articals, then look around ont he car you should have a lable on the compressor or the heater box with the capacity. Of course you have to crunch the numbers since the 134a works out differently than R12. If you overhaul the entire setup, it might work for awhile. The shop manual might have some good info to read thru, otherwise I'd check with a shop and see what they'd suggest.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:34 PM

The system still had some charge in it when I pulled the parts off. Judgeing by the time it sat at the lot approx 8 months, I have owned almost a year, and the previous owner about 4 months, plus 1 at the new dealer who sold it to the hole in the wall where I grabbed it from equals alittle over two years without any work on a/c system and the car not run much at all. I figure that even if I was to charge it that way it would work for a while. But so I am sure it will last some time I replaced the compressor, hoses, and accumulator. I am not worried about leaks at this point seeing if it held a charge before then it should be that much better now. I am just unsure of what side is the pull side of the compressor so I can add the proper oil. My car has no label and that's why I'm asking. I have been told by three people that the easy way to do it is fill it till it doesn't go any more and for 134 it is max effectiveness without guessing on conversion amount? Directional flow please?????? Oh and eventually when I reach underhood it will be all new a/c and work for a long time
Old 01-19-2002, 09:34 PM

Help???
Old 01-20-2002, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 iroc,96 z28,96 Ram 2500,69RR
Engine: 383 with AFR heads.
Transmission: richmond 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 1991 w/1LE.auburn pro series.2.73's
ok i will try to explain to you the best i can describe without pictures. i am assuming that you have an "R4" compressor in that car-it is about 7 inches in diameter and maybe 5 inches thick its stubby kind of looking. anyhow pick up the compressor and look at the back side (with the 2 holes) rotate the compressor until the 2 holes are horizontal and at the 1 oclock position (upper right) the hole on the left is suction from accumulator and the rt.side hole (closest to outside edge of compressor housing) is the discharge to the condenser in front of the radiator.hope i was clear enough to help if ya have the other style compressor we will try again
Old 01-20-2002, 10:02 PM

Well thank you!!! I am so happy that someone could actually answer a tech question. That is the compressor that I have and what I am going to do is follow the hose from the accumulator to the compressor as I also put a new hose on. I would like to say thank you for helping someone with a question in here, not a "what is more desireable" or " what third gen die cast" how do these fit in history/restoration. It is almost impossible now to assist or get help in here for people that need it. Thanks, Matt
Old 01-20-2002, 10:39 PM

anytime-im a new guy-how come its difficult to get answers here? are you not impressed with what you have been getting? seems (to me)to be a straightfoward deal. i will try to keep it so. sorry if i asked so many questions here about non tech. just trying to get a feel for the place.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:25 PM

It is ompossible because moderators need to lock the stuff that is crazy like what die cast model would you pick? How about who cares it is not a history/restoration. Slp finally got control of theirs after the same crazy stuff. People post stupid stuff where it doesn't belong and the real questions get lost and kick down the line too quickly. I thank you and tomorrow I will get my a/c working. In south florida I thknk everyine knows I will need it soon. Thnaks
Old 01-21-2002, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
You have no idea how many threads actually get deleted or locked, since most are gone before anyone even sees them.

How is recharging your A/C history or restoration? Wouldn't that fall under general tech? I allow what I think should be allowed and lock/delete anything that shouldn't be. Your thread got burried because most people on here aren't concerned about A/C on an 83, and don't have information dealing with them. Sometimes that is just the way it goes. Ultimately its just like everything else in life, if you don't like how something goes, try it yourself and see if you can do it any better. In this case that would mean picking up a manual or making a few phone calls instead of getting pissy when your obscure request isn't answered the first 10 minutes its on the board.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:11 PM

yikes
Old 01-21-2002, 12:45 PM

Drew,

I thank you for all of your help too. It was not ment as a slam towards the moderators rather the people posting. The reason I posted in here is because it is a very time/ car specific question. I looked in my chiltons and haynes but nothing. I am waiting for a 82-83 chilton and 83 service book to show up, when it does I hopefully should have so few questions. In here I was hoping to find more of the people who are after correctness on these cars, and may have the old info on a 83 l69 seeing as it's a limited car w/ limited info. So on that note. Thanks Drew and grumpy for helping me out and getting my a/c working!
Old 01-22-2002, 08:06 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
Man, Matt got his A/C working AND is using actual punctuation in his posts now...this kid has come a long way

Before you guys think I'm slamming him, Matt and I go way back. I've driven this hunk-of-L69 history, and other than the fact it was originally 37 different colors, and smells like pot, it isn't a bad ride And he has me to thank....I found the car in the Auto Hunter for $500!!! And it shows...

Call me you idiot
Old 01-22-2002, 10:50 PM

actually $450 Jack azs. Wanna see the buyers order? I still have it along with the ad.