Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Interior is 99 % done - thoughts? (dial up be ware)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Interior is 99 % done - thoughts? (dial up be ware)

So my interior is almost done. Seats from Arizen racing, all the "crinkle" on the rear panels is smoothed, painted gloss black w/a clear coat. Custom enclosure. Added a rearview w/ reading lights. Box obviously needs to be painted (gloss black), and i need to build the amp rack. But over all, thoughts?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Interior is 99 % done - thoughts? (dial up be ware)

Seats look great. How much were they?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Way too much ... about 1600 for the brand new fronts with rails and new mounting brackets, and new skins for the rear - pretty much a direct bolt in. One bracket needed a little massaging , but over all a good fit out of the box. Service was great too - Mark at Arizen racing was sure to get what I wanted when I ordered, and service after the sale was good too when I wasn't happy w/one of the sliders, they sent a new one w/no problem. Only real complaint is it took forever to get them, but w/something custom gotta expect that.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

Not a fan of the seat style, but they look pretty good in there

Lose the cheap purple tint

Ive never seen interior panels painted THAT shiny

Windshield needs a new seal

Console needs the same treatment as the panels

Hide the system wiring under the carpet

Few minor things left to do, but overall its pretty sweet
Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by KCobain147
Way too much ... about 1600 for the brand new fronts with rails and new mounting brackets, and new skins for the rear - pretty much a direct bolt in. One bracket needed a little massaging , but over all a good fit out of the box. Service was great too - Mark at Arizen racing was sure to get what I wanted when I ordered, and service after the sale was good too when I wasn't happy w/one of the sliders, they sent a new one w/no problem. Only real complaint is it took forever to get them, but w/something custom gotta expect that.
Is that about what you expected? I had been looking on their website, and it seemed like they had decent prices, but wanted to check with someone that had purchased from them. Are those the leather/leather combo? Have you heard anything about their simulated leather? Is it a noticable difference between the real leather and the simulated? Will the seats work with existing mounting brackets, or does someone need to purchase the new rails and mounting brackets? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Pocket - thanks for some of the ideas ... in order:

Nor was I too much - i wanted a mix of something that could hug, but not a full racing seat. That was the best i found. They're actually super comfy.

Was expensive good tint - the way the light hit it made it look weird - its all 1 piece, not 2 like most hatches, and never seen a drop of amonia - definitely a light/picture thing.

Thanks - it's the equivalent of auto grade exterior paint. It's shinier/smoother than some cars i've seen. Guy did a good job. It was filled w/a sandable primer, sanded by hand, then hit w/a few coats of gloss black, and I think 3 clear. It's actually super dirty in those pics. I've been too lazy to wax my interior.

Console needs the same treatment? You thinkin I should do the center console? That's something that hadn't crossed my mind. I was trying to make the "dividing line" the back of the doors. The dash is "crinkle too" Think it'd look odd?

System wiring is hidden as it'll get. Like i said 99% done. It'll be hidden by plexi that I haven't gotten around to picking up yet.

Tampa. I expected about 1500. I added/changed a lot - Embroidery was extra (i didn't want the cheap heat transfer), 4 point hole delete was extra, I paid for 4th gen seatbelt holders (don't bother, your third gens will fit if they drill for 4th gen), sliders and brackets. Every option you add, adds more money - they dont' work for free unfortunately. No, they're not leather/leather - its vinyl/suede. I was going to go w/leather/suede, but the little amount of it that would show, and vinyl holds up better, and looks just as good. I think you need to ... modify your stock rails, but don't hold me to it. I didn't wanna fight w/my old seats and rails, so i just ordered the new sliders and mounting bracket. Wasn't too hard to figure out - a bit of a pain - be sure to ask for the diagram when you order -they dont' just send the directions for some odd reasons.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

I've been too lazy to wax my interior.
I find that funny as Ive never heard of anyone waxing their interior

Yes, you need to do the console too
It just looks old, and when compared to the rears it looks like your only half done with the job

I went with 4th gen TA leathers because they hug pretty well

Looks good

What wheels are those?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi

Seats look good. I just dropped my thirdgen '92 leather seats off two hours ago to be recovered in black leather with gold trim and 25th Anniversary logo embroidery on the headrest. Your post has me so psyched and motivated...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Pocket- you think if i do the console, then the dash will look out of place? Where would I cut it off? I agree - it may look good - someone on the boards swapped in a console outta a nisan i think it was - had that smoothed moulded plastic look - it looked good. Maybe a swap, and a paint? But then do you think the crinkle on the dash would look outta place? Right now i'm comfy w/the paint too because no one is going in my back seats ...so i dont have to worry about it getting too scratched up - the console may.

Wheels - 18" boyd magneatos - will never do it again. Next set are going to be foose. Boyd's quality dropped pretty bad - I'm not happy w/the finish on one, and all of them aren't round. Get some vibrations, and not the good kind.

Nite rider ... Seats sound like they'll be pretty nice. Post some pics when u get them done. I wish I had more money - 3 cars on here are making me push my budget to try to attain a look like theirs - obviously kandied, camaroguy18, and ..i forgot the name but it's a yellow camaro from canada..starts w/an s. Anywho - I wanna get to that level of cleanliness..I'm not there yet, but on my way.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Wow, Very nice.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

This console?
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...?highlight=rx8

I like that very much and I also think yours painted to match would also look fantastic
Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 PM

Yea - that's absoultely amazing looking - the 4th gen is so over done - looks good but the rx8 one I think actually looks nicer. Maybe I'll give somethin like that a go. The car is pretty much done for the season - up here in buffalo weather dictates drivability for me - I got a couple weeks of driving left if I'm lucky - once the snow and salt fly it's off the road for a while.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Nice seats...interior looks great.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

omg, i really like the appearance of your car! awesum job for the way the exterior and this wicked interior combine!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Hey - thanks for the compliments ... it's been a long process tryin to get the thing done ... still nowhere close but its getting there..slowly. I'm accepting donations.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:16 PM

So I linked to my website..and killed the bandwidth for the month. 3 pic limit uploaded here....
Attached Thumbnails Interior is 99 % done - thoughts? (dial up be ware)-img_0399-copy.jpg   Interior is 99 % done - thoughts? (dial up be ware)-img_0400-copy.jpg   Interior is 99 % done - thoughts? (dial up be ware)-img_0404-copy.jpg  
Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi

Originally Posted by KCobain147

Nite rider ... Seats sound like they'll be pretty nice. Post some pics when u get them done. I wish I had more money - 3 cars on here are making me push my budget to try to attain a look like theirs - obviously kandied, camaroguy18, and ..i forgot the name but it's a yellow camaro from canada..starts w/an s. Anywho - I wanna get to that level of cleanliness..I'm not there yet, but on my way.
Will do. I am thinking if taking a ride over tomorrow and snapping some in progress pics. I will post pics asap...
Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears

I went with him to pick these panels up from the painter, and they are absolutely amazing! The guy even used a plastic welder to fill in the holes for a hatch pullout cover. On the ride home, we made the joke about him being the only person we know that will have to wax their interior. The seats are very comfortable too, a little tighter fitting than 4th gen T/A seats but then again these are brand new. I immediately said he has to go all the way with the dash and everything... but that'll be pricey. And definitely more vulnerable to scratches/scuffs.

But Tom, if you want to go for it I'll help you remove it all and put it back together afterwards.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Modified 1985 Z28
Engine: 355 Carbureted
Transmission: TH350 Turbo

Hey man, what did you use to cover your plastics? Looks all shiny, and damn those seats are nice. I'm re-doing my whole car, car is now bare, was it difficult to have those seats installed in the back?

Last edited by PROPHET69; 10-16-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 AM

Prophet ... they weren't covered..they were actually painted. I dropped them off @ my painter...like Jeremy had mentioned he used plastic weld..a kinda putty that bonds to plastic to fill in any cracks or holes i didnt want (valence cover), or to strengthen up weak spots. The he put sandable primer on it..i think he said he went through either 3 or 5 coats, depending on the piece. Filled in all that gm crinkle garbage...after he got done sanding till smooth, he sprayed them w/a gloss black and a few coats of clear. It wasn't cheap, but i like the result. Seats are ridiculously easy - took 5 min. Unbolt the seatbelt retainer from the back of the seat...2 bolts/side. They're in w/locktite ..so if you dont care about your old seats/covers...i highly recommend heating them up first. I snapped 2 off in the seats...paid someone else to dig them out. After that ..the bottoms have 1 bolt/side holding them in under the middle in the front. Get the bottoms out , the backs have 1 nut/side holding them in on the outside section of the seat. Then they just angle the swivel that the nut was holding out, and slide off the bar on the other side. Lemme know if you try to get yours out and have problems.