Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

89 rs Steering column swap(Help please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: auto
89 rs Steering column swap(Help please)

Ok searched all the threads on here for steering column swaps ect... that I could find.
I have a 89 camaro rs and my key switch shot craps. Then hi beam/turn signal lever broke.I had to hook up a toggle switch so my fuel pump would come on to start the car.So found a guy on craigs list that was parting out a 89 firebird.That has a great steering colomn.every thing works the way it is supposed to.
My question is..... Is this a direct swap?And did I need to get the vats mod,Cause if I did he already sent the firebird to the crusher.Do I have the one that is reprogrammable?
Been reading on here and frankly I'm getting scared that I bought something that I can't use.I am severely color blind.So re-wiring is out of the question.Unless it's so simple A cave man can do it.And even wondering if my starting problem was the vats control modual.Sp.Seems all the wires look the same.I am going to be using my steering wheel,because the firebird had the radio controls in it.Looking forward to seeing some reply's.....ty in advance.

Last edited by yleecoyote1966; 12-02-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: mis spellings
Old 12-03-2009, 12:39 AM

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: Auto
Re: 89 rs Steering column swap(Help please)

Originally Posted by yleecoyote1966
Ok searched all the threads on here for steering column swaps ect... that I could find.
I have a 89 camaro rs and my key switch shot craps. Then hi beam/turn signal lever broke.I had to hook up a toggle switch so my fuel pump would come on to start the car.So found a guy on craigs list that was parting out a 89 firebird.That has a great steering colomn.every thing works the way it is supposed to.
My question is..... Is this a direct swap?And did I need to get the vats mod,Cause if I did he already sent the firebird to the crusher.Do I have the one that is reprogrammable?
Been reading on here and frankly I'm getting scared that I bought something that I can't use.I am severely color blind.So re-wiring is out of the question.Unless it's so simple A cave man can do it.And even wondering if my starting problem was the vats control modual.Sp.Seems all the wires look the same.I am going to be using my steering wheel,because the firebird had the radio controls in it.Looking forward to seeing some reply's.....ty in advance.
why not replace the turn signal lever and bad ignotion switch(if it's that and not VATS)?

you mention that you're going to be using your steering wheel which has to be taken off which gives you access to replace those things. better off doing that than buying a steering column which isn't needed.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 AM

Because My whole column needs rebuilt.And didn't want to spend the time rebuilding it
Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Called the guy that I got my steering column from just on the off chance he didn't take the car to the crusher.TG I did he still had it so I now have the pass key box.