Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

2nd gen dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 bird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 4 speed automatic
Axle/Gears: factory
Re: 2nd gen dash

heres a complete dash minus trim panel under column
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-81-firebird-trans-am-black-dash-pad-speedometer-fuse_W0QQitemZ330424756832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4ceed9aa60
its even in new york which could save you the shipping cost if you could pick it up in person
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 pontiac firebird
Engine: 6.5 turbo diesel
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: Ws6 axle

Originally Posted by jj74sd455
heres the dash extension mounts
i didn't realize that was a separate piece that will make things easier does that part come out or is it welded in
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 PM

its factory plug welded at the base of the windshield, and as you can see in the picture there is a lower bracket on each side for the bottom of the dash located about mid-door
Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 PM

those lower bracket are the L shaped things on the side rite
that front piece should be pretty simple to make. that dash on ebay isn't to far but its gonna be a while till i can do this im between jobs now. anybody thats done a dash swap and still has pictures of the third gen dash bracket can you post them
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears

Originally Posted by The_Wraith
The swap would be fairly simple I would imagine. The cluster would be a walk in the park. Speedo would work real easy as it's cable driven. I agree on it being better then the 4thgen dash. Mines been in for 4 years and the cool factor dies out real fast. Sometimes I want to go back to the factory dash.
Having owned a fourth gen I can safely say that I have no desire to put one of those dashes in any of my third gens. It isn't that I don't like the fourth generation interior, I do, but there isn't anything special about it. I have no desire to have one in my third generation cars. After owning both I prefer the third generation interior.

Last edited by 87WS6; 04-21-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 87bluebird
those lower bracket are the L shaped things on the side rite
yes, and heres a thread to a fourth gen swap guide with a pic of third gen without dash in
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...dash-swap.html

Last edited by jj74sd455; 04-21-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ShMaCk2004
Silly TGO limiting me on pics per post...
Pic post 1

are those the pics you were talking about. are the 3d gen side mounts the things on the sides with the big round hole.any body know the measurement for the floor to them and from the firewall to them. also whats the same measurements on the second gens. thanx
Old 04-21-2010, 04:22 PM

are those the pics you were talking about. are the 3d gen side mounts the things on the sides with the big round hole.any body know the measurement for the floor to them and from the firewall to them. also whats the same measurements on the second gens. thanx
yes those are the pics, and yes i believe the round hole brackets on the sides are the bottom anchor points for the third gen dash.
the measurements on 2nd gen are as follows;
roughly 54" from side to side,
roughly 11 1/2 " from dash bottom to level dash top,
roughly 15" from floor to center of the side bracket bolt hole, and
roughly 14 1/2" from firewall to center of side bracket bolt hole.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Car: 1989 camaro rs
Engine: ls 5.3 carb
Transmission: t56 six speed
Axle/Gears: 3:73

I think it would look cool!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto

4th gen dash was the thing to do, almost ten years ago when I (tried) to do it. Looking back, it was probably one of the dumbest things I ever attempted. Just because something looks cool at one point, does not mean the novelty won't wear off, because it does. Now a 4th gen dash looks outdated, sort of like a Neon's dash, boring and 90's ish. That's the way it goes, I guess...

Anyway, what I originally wanted to get at is that I like 2nd gens. I feel they have a great interior as well as exterior. I agree that the dash in the Trans AM looks great, it really does. BUT, before your car becomes another hacked up third gen, step back and think...In 10 years, is this going to be 'cool' or will that novelty of worn off, and the originality gone forever?

IMO, a third gen dash looks BETTER and better every year. It's going from 80's outdated, to classic very fast, I think. It is unique, and not something to be hacked up, not anymore. These cars are getting harder and harder to find in original form. You don't have to take my word for it, but in 10 years, an original dash will be the thing to have....

Just my but you do what makes you happy with your car.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Car: '89 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.27

Originally Posted by 91zconvt
4th gen dash was the thing to do, almost ten years ago when I (tried) to do it. Looking back, it was probably one of the dumbest things I ever attempted. Just because something looks cool at one point, does not mean the novelty won't wear off, because it does. Now a 4th gen dash looks outdated, sort of like a Neon's dash, boring and 90's ish. That's the way it goes, I guess...

Anyway, what I originally wanted to get at is that I like 2nd gens. I feel they have a great interior as well as exterior. I agree that the dash in the Trans AM looks great, it really does. BUT, before your car becomes another hacked up third gen, step back and think...In 10 years, is this going to be 'cool' or will that novelty of worn off, and the originality gone forever?

IMO, a third gen dash looks BETTER and better every year. It's going from 80's outdated, to classic very fast, I think. It is unique, and not something to be hacked up, not anymore. These cars are getting harder and harder to find in original form. You don't have to take my word for it, but in 10 years, an original dash will be the thing to have....

Just my but you do what makes you happy with your car.
That's one reason that every change I make to my GTA is easily reversible so that I can always go back to stock if I ever want/need to. The 4th gen dash looks good, but there's nothing unique about it. It resembles nearly every other GM car from the '90s. I really love 2nd gens too, and putting a 2nd gen dash into a 3rd gen will be cool, but I don't think I'd ever do it. What I would like to try though, is to make some engine-turned aluminum overlays for the guage cluster, radio trim plate, and console shifter plate. That would pay homage to the 2nd gen Trans Ams, change up the 3rd gen styling just a bit, and still be easily reversible. Now if I could just find someone to make something like that! I know a guy who restores the original 2nd gen bezels and does great work, but I don't think he can cut new bezels from scratch. There was a guy on here who had some stainless steel overlays made, but they had rivets on them since he was going for the "race car" look, which is NOT what I'm after.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Car: 1983 camaro sport coupe
Engine: 2.8l v6 - stock motor
Transmission: NWC t-5
Axle/Gears: whatever came stock (?)

I say do whatever you want to do. In 10 years from now will you honestly care what anyone else thinks about your car?... I think it is a neat idea and I say go for it! I may even try it myself, as I am rebuilding an 83 sport coupe, and I have an 81 camaro for parts. Its your car and you should make it how you want it. Even if you do decide to sell (which I am doubting you will) there will always be someone out there that will also think it is an awesome idea and looks sweet! It would be a one-of-a-kind, and I think you should definately try! you can always take it out and put a stock looking dash back in if you want to, and the consoles, although hard to find, can be found. Just my two cents worth... I hope I don't offend anyone by anything I said, just wanted to throw my opinion out there...
Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 AM

i am still planing to do this. i just need to get a dash and extra car to drive while the firebirds in pieces. i found 78 trans am dash for 50 but it has a few cracks in it so i am not sure if i should get it yet. i was wondering if it would work to strip it down to the foam and wrap it with fleece so i can fiberglass over it? what do you guys think? i was thinking that that would fix the cracks and make it easier to fill any gaps that i will have. it will be little while till i do this tho cuz i am flat broke rite now. and the bird keeps wanting break on me the bearings blew out of the alternator today.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS, 66 Mustang, 78 t/a
Engine: 5.0 TBI, 289, 400
Transmission: 700R4, C4, th350

as cool and perfect as the 2nd gen dash is, the 3rd gen dash just fits right, not the 2nd. I think they belong in the different time periods. but at least it won't look at silly, ugly, big and out of place as a 4th gen dash.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am 15th anniversary
Engine: L69
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: 3:73

I agree, The 4thgen dash is pretty cool at one point but wears off. Sometimes I want to put the factory dash back in but can't be bothered. It resembles the look of a cheapo grandam/sunfire dash.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:23 PM

I would much rather have someone actually (successfully) modify a thirdgen dash. Everyone is so quick to swap parts with something else, but no one has really done a quality job modifying the stock dash and/or door panels.

A custom vinyl covered (complete dash covered and center console) dash made to resemble the 2nd gen dash, maybe with a custom brushed aluminum or some sort of metal bezel. Me thinks it would be better to keep the lines of the 3rd gen dash, as they just work in the car.

The center console is what gives the interior most of its cheap look. Redo that, get it looking good and slightly different, while maintaing it's boxy shape, and it will greatly improve the interior. DO NOT put a 4th gen console in a 3rd gen camaro.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 PM

I would much rather have someone actually (successfully) modify a thirdgen dash. Everyone is so quick to swap parts with something else, but no one has really done a quality job modifying the stock dash and/or door panels.

A custom vinyl covered (complete dash covered and center console) dash made to resemble the 2nd gen dash, maybe with a custom brushed aluminum or some sort of metal bezel. Me thinks it would be better to keep the lines of the 3rd gen dash, as they just work in the car.

The center console is what gives the interior most of its cheap look. Redo that, get it looking good and slightly different, while maintaing it's boxy shape, and it will greatly improve the interior. DO NOT put a 4th gen console in a 3rd gen camaro.
first of i don't have a camaro so you don't have to worry about me putting a 4th gen console in one. and people have fixed/modified third gen dash pads with fiberglass. and add some gauges in a hump on top. and theres been other things like that done.

i was originally gonna pass on the $50 trans am dash but now i am thinking that the best way to go.so that way i can modify it to fit perfectly without any gaps. i was thinking of using part of a third gen dash pad and glassing it into the top of the 2nd gen dash so it will fit perfectly along the window and around the a pillars. and that should take care of mounting the top of the dash.as well as vent and speaker placement.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

first of i don't have a camaro so you don't have to worry about me putting a 4th gen console in one..........
I'm not sure what you mean by that since to put a 4th gen console in a 3rd gen, you need to use the Firebird radio pod, even in Camaros. So the Firebirds are more likely to get 4th gen consoles than Camaros are.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen
I'm not sure what you mean by that since to put a 4th gen console in a 3rd gen, you need to use the Firebird radio pod, even in Camaros. So the Firebirds are more likely to get 4th gen consoles than Camaros are.
91zconvt said "DO NOT put a 4th gen console in a 3rd gen camaro." so i was being sarcastic cause i don't got a camaro. the means sarcasm.

Last edited by 87bluebird; 07-02-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:09 AM

first of i don't have a camaro so you don't have to worry about me putting a 4th gen console in one. and people have fixed/modified third gen dash pads with fiberglass. and add some gauges in a hump on top. and theres been other things like that done.

i was originally gonna pass on the $50 trans am dash but now i am thinking that the best way to go.so that way i can modify it to fit perfectly without any gaps. i was thinking of using part of a third gen dash pad and glassing it into the top of the 2nd gen dash so it will fit perfectly along the window and around the a pillars. and that should take care of mounting the top of the dash.as well as vent and speaker placement.
I was speaking in general about the 4th gen console, not to you directly. They don't look so out of place in a Firebird. And putting some vinyl on top of the dash pad to cover some cracks, or screwing in a set of autozone gauges is exactly what I was NOT talking about. I mean modify the WHOLE dash.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM

I was speaking in general about the 4th gen console, not to you directly. They don't look so out of place in a Firebird. And putting some vinyl on top of the dash pad to cover some cracks, or screwing in a set of autozone gauges is exactly what I was NOT talking about. I mean modify the WHOLE dash.
like what exactly. give some details or examples of what you mean?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 AM

like what exactly. give some details or examples of what you mean?
That's what I'm saying, there are no details/examples because no one's done anything truly unique.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:59 PM

I still say go with the 2nd gen dash man! It is your car and you should do whatever you think looks good. I'm not saying turn your car into a frankenstein or anything.. I'm just saying that your idea is unique and different from what most others are doing. Just keep pics posted! again.. just my opinion and I don't want to be flamed by anything mentioned. Also, I think that fiberglassing the dash may be a pretty cool idea. It would be an easy way to fix future cracks and take care of any cracks that the dash currently has. You could also shape it however you wanted and maybe put some cup holders in there?..

Last edited by 19camaro83; 07-04-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by 19camaro83
I still say go with the 2nd gen dash man! It is your car and you should do whatever you think looks good. I'm not saying turn your car into a frankenstein or anything.. I'm just saying that your idea is unique and different from what most others are doing. Just keep pics posted! again.. just my opinion and I don't want to be flamed by anything mentioned. Also, I think that fiberglassing the dash may be a pretty cool idea. It would be an easy way to fix future cracks and take care of any cracks that the dash currently has. You could also shape it however you wanted and maybe put some cup holders in there?..

my thoughts exactly. i think i have an idea how to integrate cupholders in the dash. my idea comes from my dads 05 dodge ram truck on the bottom of the dash there is a cupholder that flips down and out. and it is adjustable so you can have any sized drink in eather a small can or big 40 oz. and i was gonna see if i could get one and modify it to fit on the bottom passenger side of the dash.

Last edited by 87bluebird; 07-05-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Well I hope it all goes good for ya man! I hope to see some pics and I might just steal your idea on this one But I would look for a cup holder from a late 90's ford f150. I have one and you push it in and then it will pop out. I think it's pretty neat anyways.. just an idea anyways.. keep up the good work and show me some progress

Last edited by 19camaro83; 07-05-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Something similar to this.. doesn't have to be out of a king ranch of course..
Old 07-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 19camaro83
Something similar to this.. doesn't have to be out of a king ranch of course..
thats an interesting idea. theres a ton of junk late 90s fords around here so that would be easy to find cheap. if i use one of them i would mold it into the passenger side near the top of the dash.

Last edited by 87bluebird; 08-05-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 PM

You never posted any progress.. haha. Someone else was doing a similar project and I found this old thread digging for info. Did you ever get your dash in? What does it look like? What did you do with the cup holders?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:50 PM

Car: 1983 firebird
Engine: 427 v8
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

thanks 19camaro83 for bringing this to the top of the list
Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by 83firechicken
thanks 19camaro83 for bringing this to the top of the list
The name is Brandon, friend. And no worries. Hopefully the OP can respond with some help on your project!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 AM

i got a dash sittin in the garage at my old mans with some other parts i plan to use to customize my bird but my projects on hold. i have been scraping any money i can just to barely get by an have little money to work on my bird keeping her runing comes before customization and her trannys blown again and so is my head gasket i got a 350 but cant get it in her till i get anew tranny and cant find a t5 under 300 and i wont stick my other 700r4 in with the v8 its a waste of time.... i have done some mockup test fitting of the dash in the parts car before i scrapped it to pay rent a few months ago. and the dash will be a good fit i am gonna make some brackets to bolt the bottem of the dash in and the top of the dash i am gonna fiberglass to the back half of my third gen dash pad. and fiberglass in the sides of the dash so they go back all the way. and build a custom fiberglass center console... after i get her running good again i will try and get a bunch of fiberglass and resin so i can make the dash bumpers taillights spoiler and a few other projects i have in mind for my bird and some time i got to paint her blue again the winter killed her and now she has a black nose

Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 AM

Well I hope the best of luck to you. When you get around to working on her again, remember that you still have this thread to complete (with pictures!).

Last edited by 19camaro83; 05-31-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 PM

i am still paying attention to this thread, eagerly awaiting the completion.
can definitely understand the money issue-times are tight.