Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

New and needin some help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1l
New and needin some help, please!

Hey folks,

My name's Kramer, and my girlfriend just bought me a 92 firebird. Unfortunately, the guy hit a deer with it, so it's not the sexiest thing on earth at the moment. But in due time, i feel i can do it some justice.

Anywho, on to my questions, if you don't mind. I apologize if there is a post covering it, but i've searched high and low for answers.

1. My turn signal lever just flops up and down. The wipers work fine, but the lever won't click into place. Do i need to buy a new lever or is it just a clip that's f'ed up?
2. My gear selector handle, since it's an automatic, wiggles and spins, but still works. is that another clip issue?
3. Fiiiinally, for now, the passenger side window doesn't work, so do I need a new relay, or a whole new switch? And if it's just the relay, would you mind giving me the part number?

Thank you!
Kramer
Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: New and needin some help, please!

welcome aboard!

regarding the window, its either a bad switch or a bad motor. all the other components are shared between both windows. luckily, the switches are the same on driver and passenger side, so you can swap those easily to find out if its bad. if you're having the same issue after switching the buttons, you can pretty much narrow it down to a bad motor (or bad wiring, but we'll hope for the best that's not the case)
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM

thanks!
and I'll try that, but first I gotta remove the stupid alarm system the previous owner installed. I had the fob for it, but it broke off my keychain while walking around a store.

any ideas on where this system would be located? Under the hood or under the dash?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

i had to do something similar - the remote was useless on the alarm on mine as well. the setup will be under the driver side dash, but be careful, you will have to reattach some of the wires that got split in order to install the alarm (10ga yellow ignition wire comes to mind)
Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Now, I have another problem. The car doesnt start sometimes when I try to turn it over..the previous owner said it had a chipped tooth, on the flywheel I believe. Would that be the problem? I know this isn't the right spot to ask, but I figured since I have a thread, I may as well. I don't hear the starter click to engage and start the car or anything, so I've figured that that's the problem. He just replaced the spark plugs, so I assume those wouldn't be the problem, and the battery is charged.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Car: 85 TA TTA clone
Engine: 355sbc (turbo planned)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt rear disk

Originally Posted by DaKrames92
Hey folks,

My name's Kramer, and my girlfriend just bought me a 92 firebird. Unfortunately, the guy hit a deer with it, so it's not the sexiest thing on earth at the moment. But in due time, i feel i can do it some justice.

Anywho, on to my questions, if you don't mind. I apologize if there is a post covering it, but i've searched high and low for answers.

1. My turn signal lever just flops up and down. The wipers work fine, but the lever won't click into place. Do i need to buy a new lever or is it just a clip that's f'ed up?
2. My gear selector handle, since it's an automatic, wiggles and spins, but still works. is that another clip issue?
3. Fiiiinally, for now, the passenger side window doesn't work, so do I need a new relay, or a whole new switch? And if it's just the relay, would you mind giving me the part number?

Thank you!
Kramer
First off get one of these
http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/453

1 do the signals themselves work? if so then there is a plastic detend inside the column that may need to be replaced.

2 there should be a clip that fits into a slot on there.

3 could be a motor gone out. could be a switch. would have to use a volt meter and see if the motor is getting power. if not then its a switch. or wireing issue.

now im not saying this mean spiritedly, but you should probly get a book on basic car knowledge. the starter only spins the motor. if you dont hear the motor turning over then its either the relay controlling the starter or the starter itself. if the engine is spinning then its fuel or spark. Though thes arent bad cars for a starting mechanic knowing the basics of how an engines systems function would take you a long way mostly knowing what effects what.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 PM

Yeah, i probably should, but I'm learning what I can without spending the money at the moment. I'll check the library, if i can find my card, and see what i can find.

I'd get a haynes manual, but those are still pricey, and I'm stuck deciding between an FSM or a Haynes, due to the fact that the FSM has the actual pontiac parts numbers. Which would you suggest? I'll look into a cheap haynes though.

thanks again for the help, I should be able to look into all of these things tomorrow assuming the weather permits me to. And should I use a volt meter to determine if the starter is getting power, instead of ripping it out and taking it to autozone to be tested?